Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2008 T2 V8. I have been getting some clunking in the front end going over bumps in the road. I've confirmed it's the lower control arm bushings. I've heard anecdotally that the aluminum Audi Q7 control arms are the same? If so, are there any issues with running these? (same year). I'm also assuming the Cayenne arms interchange as well?

Thanks - Bill

Ok. So I think I've answered part of my question. Rock Auto shows the same part numbers for aluminum in VW/Audi/Porsche. So the question remains. Is aluminum adequate? I'm not doing any off-roading.

Registered
I was wondering the same thing a few years ago and thought about trying it out. I bought some cheap lower front arms (URO brand) from ECS Tuning which showed (pictured) the aluminum version but they were actually steel. I ended up using these steel ones. The 2009 Q7 curb weight is just about equal to our 2008 V8 Treg so I would assume they would be okay for the street, however, to be on the safe side I would opt to buy the Porsche Cayenne Turbo (S?) version which are steel and have stiffer bushings. Choose wisely and let us know what you end up with. 馃

Registered

Registered
2008 T2 V8. I have been getting some clunking in the front end going over bumps in the road. I've confirmed it's the lower control arm bushings. I've heard anecdotally that the aluminum Audi Q7 control arms are the same? If so, are there any issues with running these? (same year). I'm also assuming the Cayenne arms interchange as well?

Thanks - Bill

Ok. So I think I've answered part of my question. Rock Auto shows the same part numbers for aluminum in VW/Audi/Porsche. So the question remains. Is aluminum adequate? I'm not doing any off-roading.
Good afternoon,
I just finished installing Upper, Lower, and Swaybar Link on my 2008 V8 (non-Air). I purchased the Meyle W0133-2579442 kit which is all Aluminum Control arms. Everything fit fine except for the lower control arm has a 2-3mm knob on top of the ball-joint and the upper control arm bolt heads. I filed the knob down and filed the (larger than stock) flange on the upper control arm bolts.
Have fun.
-Henry

Registered
09 TDi
I've had the same conversation with myself. As much as I'm drawn to aluminum Im not convinced the reduction in unstrung weight matters on a 5k lb tank. Depending on your use keep in mind that while aluminum is stronger, when it reaches its limit it will break not bend...no forgiveness. if youre off roading or live where the roads are like moonscape I'd say steel is a better (and cheaper) option.

My 2c

1 - 5 of 5 Posts