Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2013 180 kw with air suspension
155 Posts
If anyone is wondering what Meggsy and I are going on about, here's some numbers for the CR that might help explain.
Wheelbase is 2899mm (210 TDi)
From the towing a trailer section of the owners manual, the spec position for the towball, which I assume is achieved by the factory/Westphalia option, is 1119mm behind the rear axle. That's the overhang, and the ratio is 0.386 of wheelbase.
Load on the towball is like a seesaw where the pivot is between the axles and any weight on the towball magnifies the weight on the rear axle by ball weight times (1+ the overhang ratio) due to the longer lever arm the towball position has, and reduces the weight on the front axle by the ball weight times overhang ratio.
So for a CR with a ball weight of 100kg, vehicle mass increases by 100kg, rear axle load increases by 138.6kg and front axle load reduces by 38.6kg. At the limit in the MY21 towing supplement of 240kg, it's 332.64kg extra on the rear axle and 92.64kg less on the front.

For Meggsy's extra long tray Navara, assuming 3100mm wheelbase and 2000mm overhang, the ratio is scary at 0.645 so the same 240kg ball weight would be putting some 394kg extra on the rear axle.

As an aside not relevant to air suspension Touaregs just the extra weight and overhang of a WDH makes things worse before they help. Using the Touareg overhang ratio and 240kg ball weight, a 10kg WDH that moves the ball just 150mm further from the axle adds 10kg to GVM, and near an extra 28kg to the rear axle, before the bars are tensioned. So the WDH has to transfer 28kg off the rear axle just to not make load distribution worse! And the longer overhang caused by the WDH increases the yawing (swaying) leverage the trailer has on the tug. Not surprising the manual says no WDH.
Wolfy - very well put - I have a spreadsheet somewhere ( when I find it again and not one that I authored) that allows easy calculations of what you have explained so well -- thanks and cheers - travel safe.

Found the link - its American and in pounds and inches I think Extended Hitch Calc (visualsc.com)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Guys
pretty new here
We have just put a deposit down ion a 23 ft victory off road van . it will weigh about 2800 kg unloaded. We will get it around December - I’m doing research on van battery systems the dexter van sway control system etc.
We have a 2017 Touareg 180kw ( the very last of the 7P release) . I was hoping people here could give advise on setting it up - what wheels tyres etc - would really love to tap into the experience of this forum
thanks
Warren
Towing with your vehicle will be easy, although you will need a real spare wheel and dont forget the rubber should be the same on all 5 wheels, make, depth of wear etc, the only problem I encountered when I bothered to check was that I was carrying too much weight over the rear axle. The towball weight will have a dramatic effect on the max load capacity of the rear axle. Thats going to be your limiting factor. Personally I think 23' is too big, you just wont be able to get into those must see spots, I put wider and deeper tyres on my original rims, been happy with Bridgestone Duellers 697AT. Happy to answer any Q you might have. Perhaps have a look at a FB page ORCA, a lot of experience here for towing. Keep you weight down, lithium batteries best option, and dont take too much "stuff". Have a look at https://l2sfbc.com/towing-weights-calculator/, this might change your mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a 2016 150 (steel springs) towing a 21’ Snowy River with a tare of 2347 (each van is weighed at end of production so Tare weights & towball weights vary from van to van of the same size; eg our van has extended drawbar, high checker plate & extras inside so is heavier than ‘standard’ & ball weight is slightly up). The ATM is 3000kg. Currently loaded at around 2800kg (estimated but experienced vanners) with a ball weight (measured) of 220kg.
Tows very well, had considered sway control when purchased but after a few thousand kms, not sure it's needed.
Would be dubious about going much heavier than what we have. Have no desire to go anywhere near our ATM &/0r GCM.
We keep very little in the vehicle apart from tools, water & other wife deemed necessities, no more than 100kg. Most of that is either behind the front seats or right over the axle.
Our Treg is chipped to 180/510 so would be in the same ballpark as yours. With steel suspension the rear wheel arch gap above the tyres goes from 80+mm to 45mm with no noticeable increase in the gap above the front tyres.
We use a Safety Dave TPMS & have increased rear tyre pressure to 330Kpa when cold to keep within the 4-5psi increase guideline & leave the fronts as standard (230kpa).
We considered a 23’ van but with a Tare of 2550kg standard & ATM of 3500kg we felt that we were heading too close to our maximums with the possibility of problems we had not experienced before with our other van due to the extra weight.
The Treg is a great tow vehicle, devouring hills without real effort. Eg, going from Gippsland up to Jindabyne, an elevation change of over 1100m with constant gains of 300m then downhills of 200m, we averaged 18L/100, which is the worst I’ve ever had. Beats 26L/100 in a Cruiser in normal towing any day.
My suspicions are that if the Tare of your van is accurate (& as suggested by others to stipulate that that Tare be matched with a weigh station docket before purchase), by the time you add water approx 200kg with 2 x tanks, gas approx 20+ kg, you will be well over 3T without food & clothing. Not critisizing, but too much for me to be comfortable with over the 25K+ trip you are planning (yes, we’ve done the Big Lap with our old van & clocked up those kms without doing Alice or Uluru & North Qld).
Lots of good suggestions in the above replies to your query. I’d be doing some real calculations on paper re weights plus a healthy margin (yes, you (& your SO will buy extra things on the way that creep the weight up).
Don’t be deterred, but play safe.
As an aside, with a van that size, don’t plan on doing any serious off road exploring. Much better to leave the van in a CP & explore in the vehicle which those who have, will tell you, is very capable. If you look at most serious off road vans, they are not that big & are often narrower to allow them to negotiate bush tracks. Have a mate with a family Kedron off road van who spends his leisure time after returning from a trip reaffixing cupboard doors & a
multitude of other minor repairs despite the van costing north of 120K.
Hope the above ramble assists in some way.
Tread your own path.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You ask for tips, so here goes. Get a smaller lighter van; buy some (5) 2nd. hand 17 in" rims and fit good light truck tyres to them; don't bother with getting the rear view camera on the van to view on the inbuilt screen, drop another screen in the space above it, get some tyre pressure monitors and do not forget to lower your tyre pressures when you hit the dirt.
Enjoy it all.
I have to agree with Tim on this.

It's good that you are thinking about all the limitations that towing a big heavy van will entail. But you should also be thinking about what happens when you're not towing! A 23 footer is a BIG van and is going to really limit where you can park it up. It's going to be tough to maneuver onto sites in caravan parks. It's going to be tough to tuck into a free camp down a track by a river somewhere. Where will you spend most of your time, inside the van or out of it? How are you going to be using the van? Where are you going to be staying? Ask yourselves if you really need all that room?

My partner and I have lived in our 17'6 Goldstream pop top for 12 of the last 24 months. A six month trip to The Tip in 2020, and another 6 going up the centre and across to the Kimberley and down the west coast last year. We spent most evenings in the van, sitting at the table playing cards or backgammon or something, or lying in the bed reading a book or occasionally streaming some Netflix show. Otherwise, we were outside - sitting by the fire, chilling under the awning, or at the beach, or off on a walk or a day trip. That's our travelling lifestyle, what will yours look like?

Keep in mind the extra length equals extra weight equals higher fuel costs (one poster around here recently quoted $3 a litre at the moment in the outback!). You will feel that expense even in an economical car like a Touareg. Our van weighs in 2.6t loaded, assorted crap in the car too, and we average about 14 or 15 l/100k. You can do the maths! More weight equals higher maintenance too as you should be servicing a bit more regularly if you driving on the max weight limits, and tyres, brakes, etc.

If you're free camping, then yes, get the lithium upgrade, and get an extra solar panel or 2 if you can afford it. You'll appreciate that decision on cloudier days and shady sites.

Smaller wheel rims will allow you to run tyres with a taller sidewall, that will improve your ride, especially off bitumen. I've run 17s and 18s and am quite happy with the latter. You get more sizing options with 18s than in the bigger sizes. Well worth having ATRs as you will be off bitumen at times, even if just it's on the big gravel highways. They're safer in those conditions and open up options to go exploring further afield.

That said, get a set of recovery tracks and at least a decent snatch strap so if you do get stuck you've got some equipment to help someone help you. Kings sell a recovery kit that's pretty cheap. We found a VHS radio helpful, if just to let trucks know when we were passing, or when they could pass us! But handy too for emergencies.

Get a good camera. Enjoy the sunshine. We live in a beautiful country. Look after it. Leave only 👣

Edit. And yes, get a deisel heater, well worth it on those sub zero mornings.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I agree with much of the above. I note the Victory trophy wheels are set fairly well back so your ball weight is going to be your big problem. I towed a Sunland patriot SEL - 3.3 tonne max firstly with a V10 7L but changed to a 7P 180kW. The Treg will handle the weight, parking and fuel consumption will be problems but by far your biggest will be ball weight. I note the victory has a great deal of storage up front which is great but with the 280kg limit you have I doubt you will be able to utilize it all. VW really stuffed us dropping from 350kg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys
pretty new here
We have just put a deposit down ion a 23 ft victory off road van . it will weigh about 2800 kg unloaded. We will get it around December - I’m doing research on van battery systems the dexter van sway control system etc.
We have a 2017 Touareg 180kw ( the very last of the 7P release) . I was hoping people here could give advise on setting it up - what wheels tyres etc - would really love to tap into the experience of this forum
thanks
Warren
Hi Warren & Jo,
Some pointers to consider:
The Touareg only has an non inflated emergency spare wheel and you're planning long distance travels in possible remote areas with a heavy van. What contingency have you considered for a spare wheel (18, 19 or 20") to get you out of trouble? I managed to by a genuine Touareg wheel as a spare, made a wheel carrier the same design as the van spare wheel and secured to the van rear carry bar. Placing a full size spare wheel on the roof is a common practice. However consider the addition weight on the roof and the challenge in getting the wheel on and off the roof rack. We have a 2015 7P that tows a Highline Matrix off road van with a DO35 hitch and a tare weight of 2720kg. The van has 2-90lt water tanks, 2-20kg gas bottles, 90lt grey water tank, external kitchen in the tunnel compartment, A frame storage box that increases the total weight of the van and that's before clothing, cooking utensils, dry and wet food, beer, a few tools, fishing gear, 15amp power cable, fresh water hoses and dual filters etc, etc. It all adds up very quickly! A simple rule to consider. If you don't use it or need it, don't pack it. Recently QLD police have been recording caravans and motor home weights on country travel routes. Over 95% of the vehicles were found to be over their legal combined weight. Drivers were notified of their obligations to travel safe within the legal limits and not fined. A single large lithium battery system with 2 roof sola panels and inverter works well for us. However you can spend big bucks on battery management systems. It depends on your budget and your needs. Dexter and ALKO sway control systems are installed on model caravans. Also consider a Reark breaking system particularly with a heavy van. Happy safe travels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys
pretty new here
thanks
Warren
Remember the height of the ball on the car versus height of draw bar on caravan you will need a adjust tow hitch

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg 3.0 TDI
39 Posts
Hi Guys
pretty new here
thanks
Warren
Hi Warren and Jo, We have the same the model Treg and tow a single axel 17'6" off road van weighing in at 2100 tare and 2800 ATM and ball weight of between 220 and 280 depending on where we're headed and whats packed. I've found the limiting factor for our setup is the rear axel load. It is 1530kg and when you have a higher towball mass it really impacts the rear axel load.
I have bought five 18" rims with A/T tires and the spare goes onto the roof platform, with the fridge in the back and a lithium battery under the space saver spare there is not a lot of spare kg's on the rear axel. Manageable but you really need to be aware as it adds up pretty quick.
Overall though it is a great all round tow vehicle / tourer, super comfortable and economical at around 15l/100km.
As said in previous posts TB mass is the critical point, if you can get that right happy days!
Good luck, we'll look out for you around this big country, Peter

·
Registered
44 Posts
When you have it all sorted out make sure you do your lap of Oz in an anti clockwise direction. There are two reasons for this. 1. You are driving in the inside lane so your lap distance will be 180 km shorter. 2. The prevailing winds will be (mostly) blowing from behind you.

Seriously - have a great time - you'll love the experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Warren and Jo. You asked for tips, so here’s one that’s a bit out of the ordinary. I have recently put a Curt ‘Rockerball’ 50mm tow ball on the Touareg. I had seen some promotional info which said that it cushions the vibrations and jolting that you can get from rigid tow balls. Must add that I can only give you a conditional recommendation at this time, as I have only towed once with the set-up. We will be doing quite a lot of towing this year so time will tell if it lives up to the advertised benefits.

My experience so far has been quite positive. In essence the ‘travel’ built into the rockerball is just a few degrees front-to-rear but it certainly drives comfortably and seems to isolate jarring from into the car when on the move. When stopping under brakes you can still get a little bit of jarring, but I guess its hard to completely eliminate that with heavy vans. I have tried experimenting with different drive setting (sport/normal/comfort) and found that sport seems the best.

Interesting product and worth considering, I reckon. I’ll see how it stands up over time and will try to remember to post, on this thread, my longer term impression. I have left a link to the product, from ‘Outback Equipment’, but it is available from a number of other places and there is also some good info on Curt Australia’s own web-site.

Good luck with your future travels. Tim

·
Registered
CR 2019 - V6 190Tdi Launch with AIR / Tow bar/ Red Arc Tow Pro /110 Amp slim lithium / Fridge.
9 Posts
Hi Warren and Jo, We have the same the model Treg and tow a single axel 17'6" off road van weighing in at 2100 tare and 2800 ATM and ball weight of between 220 and 280 depending on where we're headed and whats packed. I've found the limiting factor for our setup is the rear axel load. It is 1530kg and when you have a higher towball mass it really impacts the rear axel load.
I have bought five 18" rims with A/T tires and the spare goes onto the roof platform, with the fridge in the back and a lithium battery under the space saver spare there is not a lot of spare kg's on the rear axel. Manageable but you really need to be aware as it adds up pretty quick.
Overall though it is a great all round tow vehicle / tourer, super comfortable and economical at around 15l/100km.
As said in previous posts TB mass is the critical point, if you can get that right happy days!
Good luck, we'll look out for you around this big country, Peter
I have to agree with Tim on this.

It's good that you are thinking about all the limitations that towing a big heavy van will entail. But you should also be thinking about what happens when you're not towing! A 23 footer is a BIG van and is going to really limit where you can park it up. It's going to be tough to maneuver onto sites in caravan parks. It's going to be tough to tuck into a free camp down a track by a river somewhere. Where will you spend most of your time, inside the van or out of it? How are you going to be using the van? Where are you going to be staying? Ask yourselves if you really need all that room?

My partner and I have lived in our 17'6 Goldstream pop top for 12 of the last 24 months. A six month trip to The Tip in 2020, and another 6 going up the centre and across to the Kimberley and down the west coast last year. We spent most evenings in the van, sitting at the table playing cards or backgammon or something, or lying in the bed reading a book or occasionally streaming some Netflix show. Otherwise, we were outside - sitting by the fire, chilling under the awning, or at the beach, or off on a walk or a day trip. That's our travelling lifestyle, what will yours look like?

Keep in mind the extra length equals extra weight equals higher fuel costs (one poster around here recently quoted $3 a litre at the moment in the outback!). You will feel that expense even in an economical car like a Touareg. Our van weighs in 2.6t loaded, assorted crap in the car too, and we average about 14 or 15 l/100k. You can do the maths! More weight equals higher maintenance too as you should be servicing a bit more regularly if you driving on the max weight limits, and tyres, brakes, etc.

If you're free camping, then yes, get the lithium upgrade, and get an extra solar panel or 2 if you can afford it. You'll appreciate that decision on cloudier days and shady sites.

Smaller wheel rims will allow you to run tyres with a taller sidewall, that will improve your ride, especially off bitumen. I've run 17s and 18s and am quite happy with the latter. You get more sizing options with 18s than in the bigger sizes. Well worth having ATRs as you will be off bitumen at times, even if just it's on the big gravel highways. They're safer in those conditions and open up options to go exploring further afield.

That said, get a set of recovery tracks and at least a decent snatch strap so if you do get stuck you've got some equipment to help someone help you. Kings sell a recovery kit that's pretty cheap. We found a VHS radio helpful, if just to let trucks know when we were passing, or when they could pass us! But handy too for emergencies.

Get a good camera. Enjoy the sunshine. We live in a beautiful country. Look after it. Leave only 👣

Edit. And yes, get a deisel heater, well worth it on those sub zero mornings.
hi Drewzer, I like your summary to the poster it seems you are sorted out. we have a used CR launch 2019 and GS 1760 rhino (2021) as our virgin setup, would you be ok for me to ask a few Q’s down the line on various upgrades to both. Re; alts to tyres, wheels, van weights etc ,? we’re planning on doing small trips for the first couple of years then heading into extended ones later on. At the moment will need to change / move a few things around the van to even up weights Front to back and also side to side. Regards Joe T

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi Drewzer, I like your summary to the poster it seems you are sorted out. we have a used CR launch 2019 and GS 1760 rhino (2021) as our virgin setup, would you be ok for me to ask a few Q’s down the line on various upgrades to both. Re; alts to tyres, wheels, van weights etc ,? we’re planning on doing small trips for the first couple of years then heading into extended ones later on. At the moment will need to change / move a few things around the van to even up weights Front to back and also side to side. Regards Joe T
Hi Joseph.

Gee, what a great rig to be starting out with 😃. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either bit of kit. Love talking about my car and van, so happy to share what knowledge and ideas I have, just message me through here and I can pass on my other contact details if you like?

·
Registered
CR 2019 - V6 190Tdi Launch with AIR / Tow bar/ Red Arc Tow Pro /110 Amp slim lithium / Fridge.
9 Posts
Hi Joseph.

Gee, what a great rig to be starting out with 😃. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either bit of kit. Love talking about my car and van, so happy to share what knowledge and ideas I have, just message me through here and I can pass on my other contact details if you like?
Thankyou Drewzer, we call it our forever 2nd home as it all cost enough, where are you based?
my email add is [email protected]
m# 0418970244
speak soon
joe t

·
Registered
2019 Launch Edition White Sunroof Innovision
270 Posts
Warren and Jo, So excited and lucky to be heading off. This is an Amazing country. Personally I don't see any real advantage going 200 with weights and limits ect, couple of comments from me where we spent 12 months on the road.

2800 is way at the top of the range. As many have suggested what is advised on order and what is delivered can be a big difference. Are Gas bottles full , Is awning Added, is additional spare wheel added to either car or van, BBQ Tool Box , Water, Generator ? Ect.. We have a centre door van which means wheels are slightly to rear, which means alot of weight on ball. Tows great with weight on ball but we will be pushing limits.

We did a test run for a week before we headed off and took it over weigh bridge and came it an 3250 Water tanks full 200 liters Gas bottles spare ects.

So thought I was well under the 3500 of van and Touareg limits acknowledging we would be close to ball weight. (This was previous model with 280 Ball weight) To my great surprise the day we headed off for 12 months I took it over the weight bridge as it was only a few minutes from home., To my surprise I was 3490Kg (What)

How could I have added so much weight. Well 12 months away you need Warm clothes and Cold clothes , Wife needs more than 2 pairs of shoes. More shorts pants jackets gloves ect I better take a few spares and repairs. Better get bigger tool box, Electric drill and the list goes on. A week away and a year away is a large weight difference.

Tips. Once packed if you buy anything something has to go . You really don't need chairs for anyone other than yourselves. I see people with 4 chairs in case they get visitors. 4 plates bowls cutlery is plenty. After 6 months do a cull and if you have not used said item in 6 months in can go. Weight is your enemy.
I didnt want an over but wife won the argument. So glad she did. In 12 montsh on road you will get times where BBQ is just not an option. Chips, Fish lots of things can go in oven , even baking when your at a place for a while. I knwo lots would not use one but wont be without now. Again big difference between a week or 2 and a year.
I highly Recommend Gas or Diesel heater. We had a number of nights at paid parks for power as temps were sub Zero -4 ect. Each night Air Con on Heat would freeze compressor at about 3:00am and we would be cold as by the time the sun came up and defrosted, so we invested in Gas heater so we didn't have to take additional tank ect. A little quieter as well. Better for off grid cold night.

We stayed at one place and due to a fire and a few drinks forgot to close van up so door and windows open until we went to bed at 2:00am. Inside van temp was 1 degree. It was warmer in the fridge set at 2 degree

Car is an awesome tow vehicle, I had a 200 series previously and unless you need the sheer space I would never go back. Touareg can handle it and is way more comfortable and is very capable off road, but weights are important.

Have an awesome time and stay safe. Remember your on holidays. Trucks are working plenty of places to pull over. Trucks hate vans doing 90 as they cant get past . CB and let them know your pulling over or slowing down a little in next overtaking spot. They will appreciate it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Warren,
I agree with nearly everything said above.
We’ve towed a JB 20’6 caravan about 30,000km around Australia for about 60weeks in 7 trips over the past 3 years. Our Touareg is a 2016 7P Wolfsburg, (ie a “V6” ++), so pretty much the same as yours. The motor is plenty for what we do and the air suspension is brilliant. We normally sit on 100km/h of the highway and average about 17 litres/100km.
We find the 20’6 is a good size for us, although I’d prefer a bit shorter occasionally. We’ve rarely had trouble getting into sites and we have an extended drawbar and bikes on the back so we’re 30’ tip to tip.
We stay mainly on the bitumen but get into national parks and we’re not scared of unsealed roads. But I never need to see another corrugation again (we did that with an off-road Kamper).
Our van has a tare of 2500kg, an ATM of 3500kg and weighs about 3300kg fully loaded. Less is more they say, but it is what it is and we’re comfortable.

A few tips, if you don’t mind:
- read a lot, (eg Trucksafe.com.au and your van owners group) but don’t believe everything, especially on the blog sites. The 10% towball myth is a prime example - it’s a fantasy.
- weigh your rig and get under all the maximums. You’ll find that you’ll need to be careful with both the car and van loading.
- it doesn’t matter how long of heavy your van is, it can sway. The easiest way is to put too much weight behind the wheels and too little in front. But there are numerous other contributing factors including tyre pressures, towball height, etc. Balance is a key issue, so loading, water (which constantly changes), etc are important. (The worst sway we ever had was a 6x4 box trailer badly loaded with sand).
We find the car is better with some weight in it, as far forward as possible, eg a 25 litre water container behind the passenger’s seat.
Arguably the Touareg’s biggest weakness is that it is light compared to the heavy load behind.
- ask the van manufacturer what wiring you need. We have a 7 pin, red and grey Anderson and camera. You’ll probably need a voltage sensing relay on the grey Anderson unless you put in a DC-DC converter in the car or van.
We also got the camera connected to the infotainment system so we have a constant view rearward behind the caravan which is brilliant.
- we have the genuine VW tow bar package and Alko ESC. We wouldn’t be without both. We had bad sway early but it’s stable now.
- any day can be different. Most days we ask each other “How is the van today?” Wind, roads, water tanks, topography, loads and many other factors can change how your rig behaves on any day.
- do a caravan course. Ours was basic through the RAC, which was great, but there are better ones.
- we added a spare wheel carrier on the front of the van for the Touareg full size spare. (I still have another one for sale).
We like to go exploring occasionally, so we changed to General Grabber AT tyres because they fitted and they were the same pattern on the van (sadly, a different size).
I would use tyre pressure monitors if I was travelling much on unsealed roads. They saved about 4 tyres while we were out back and the peace of mind is priceless.
- get a UHF radio (we have a 5 watt handheld) and talk to the truckies, especially oncoming wide loads with pilots.
- change your transmission oils, maybe every 30,000km.
- take it easy, especially early. It took a long time for us to understand how our van was in different circumstances and to get it ‘sorted’.

Caravans are very personal. We also have a gas heater, oven, small fire pit, wood box on the back, etc and a fair bit of other technology and kit. We wouldn’t be without a small inverter to charge laptops, etc and it runs the electric blanket off grid too. 😊

Good luck, happy adventures and I hope we see you down the track soon.

Cheers, Brett
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
155 Posts
You’ll probably need a voltage sensing relay on the grey Anderson unless you put in a DC-DC converter in the car or van.
HI Brett and Warren just a comment on the above.... depending upon how your 3 way fridge is wired into the van wiring, especially as in most cases its common to the van battery charging circuit but isolated from the van battery, you may need a VSR or a motion sensing "gadget" in the fridge circuit. some older vans used to isolate the 3way from the van battery with a diode, not a great idea since you tend to loose about 0.5V across the diode.

I must admit I am a firm believer in weighing in the "go away mode" even if I take it to the local tip drive on and check vehicle GVM then drive of all of it get the two measurements and it gives you a good baseline and its free. Most tips are great with this as long as its not at a very busy time

Stay sane, safe and happy travelling guys.and of course Gals...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dubby When did they reduce the TBM to 280 Kg looking at a couple 2021 versions ranged between 260 and 290 Kg
Sorry to be so tardy with my response. I believe when the transitioned from the 6x2 tranny to the 8-speed it involved considerable changes (lightening) to the vehicles internal construction which resulted in the lowering of the BW. 2013 maybe? The 8-speed is great in operation, but there are times I wish I still had low range. Cheers, Dub

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry to be so tardy with my response. I believe when the transitioned from the 6x2 tranny to the 8-speed it involved considerable changes (lightening) to the vehicles internal construction which resulted in the lowering of the BW. 2013 maybe? The 8-speed is great in operation, but there are times I wish I still had low range. Cheers, Dub
Thanks for that mine is a 2023/14 and the TBM is 350kg that's what made me ask yes zI wish I had low range cheers Ian

21 - 40 of 43 Posts