Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at two Touareg TDI both 2014. First one has 45,000 miles w Purchase Price $24,000. Second Touareg has 125,000 miles w purchase $17,000. Assuming both in good condition which one Ian better buy? Higher mileage but more $$ tonrepair or lower mileage higher cost?
Appreciate comments

Steve

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Let me think about that for a nano-second....

Yup - take the one that's done nearly 3 times the mileage of the other!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
7k buys a lot of wear & tear parts if you do your own wrenching.....
7k might mean eff all to you depending on your income and status......
7k also covers a complete set of new tires and brakes all around, plus some fluid and filter changes even if you don't do your own wrenching.......

Theoretically, buying the high milage one and spending some of that 7k "saved" on making sure all the maintenance is up to date, should yield another 80k worth of relatively trouble free miles.....

Are there no other factors that come into play? Warranty, CPO, date and milage of "fix", etc?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes, decision has a lot to do with what you can afford but if you can swing the $7K go with lower miles.

One has 1/3 the miles of other one, should prove to be a good decision if shows signs of being well cared for.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Personally, if they are both in identical condition and same options, I would go for the high milage one with the expectation to have a catastrophic failure before the extended emissions warranty runs out. One a new HPFP or engine or turbo is put in at no cost to you, you technically start over with "new" gear, so you might get another 125k+ before the next massive headache.

The only caveat to my approach is to have another vehicle available to use during such an event.... As some fixes take weeks and weeks. This is why I currently own two TDIs.... Unless they both blow up at the same time, I have a backup plan.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Easy, lower miles. That TDI fix warranty will cover many mechanical items for the next 4 years or 75,000 miles. Although it should be a reliable vehicle and not need much other than fluids, tires and brakes, which the high mile one will also need. If it's at a dealer, see if they will put on a new set of brake pads as part of the deal, maybe rotors as well depending on condition. Should also have proof all scheduled service is up to date (oil, brake flush, etc), and if not or unsure then should also be done as part of the deal. Those are all sweeteners that really don't cost the dealer much to do but could be a $2000 value if you had to pay. If the tires are less than 6 or 7/32 I would ask for those too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts