Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchase of a 2012 TDI lux. The car is at a dealer (non-vw). Beautiful car in excellent condition. Seems well priced. 50k miles, I think I can buy it for around 27k. 6mo/10k left on the Powertrain warranty.

I've done a bunch of research on the VW TDI issues. To me it seems like the impact on the 3.0 TDIs with adblue is likely to be minimal compared to the non SCR cars (2.0 TDI) since these cars already have the more advanced emissions systems in place. Also reading the EPA Nov 2 statement it seems the issue is more one of semantics with what a 'defeat device' is on the 3.0's and not a blatant attempt at cheating like on the 2.0s.

If someone could guarantee me the performance will not change I'd buy it in a heartbeat.. Sorry to the tree huggers but I can live with the excess emissions and still sleep at night..

On a side note, this car is for my wife (but I will certainly be stealing it at every chance to tow my track car or just get some groceries).. I've had 3 VW's but no Tregs.. She wanted a Jeep GC, we test drove a few, what a POS compared to the Treg.. Totally unimpressed and I can't understand why there are so many of those cars on the road. The Treg is on a whole other level, handling, ride, comfort.. and given the TDI issues we can buy one for about the same price.

Before we pull the trigger today I thought I'd ask here. Would you buy an 12' TDI today with the 'unknowns' on what may change on the cars and the future resale value? Do you think the cars will really be affected much?

-Mike (hopefully a Treg owner in a few hours..)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Why anyone would buy a Tdi today given the current circumstances is beyond me.

Hold off until the dust settles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
While impossible to say what the final impact would be, the vehicle will still have more torque and better fuel economy that any similar sized non diesel SUV. One downside might be more frequent def tank fill ups. Mileage might drop to the specs instead of consistently beating them by a bit. If you can live with that and this is a good deal, go for it. I love my 2013 Treg TDI Lux. The only thing I might trade it for would be a Q5 TDI so it would've easier to park and manauver in the city.

·
Registered
145 Posts
FYI there are a bunch of helpful people on this site and lots of information, but I don't think you will get great advice for this situation. Nobody knows what the eventual fallout will be to the 3.0 EPA situation today -- it's all speculation. Some people who own Touaregs are really pissed about it and others don't care at all. Same goes for problems with the vehicle -- you will mostly hear no's from people who have had problems.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very interesting. I would try 24 000$, just in order to shake the dealer a bit, and around mid December, then if it turns to a deal, it would be a nice catch for a very good machine. Be patient a bit, I doubt they will sell it by Chrismas.
Good luck.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Why anyone would buy a Tdi today given the current circumstances is beyond me. Hold off until the dust settles.
It's a great way to score one at discount! When the dust settles VW or the Gov isn't going to seize vehicles nor are prices going to fall drastically (a chunk of the market is loan owned) so unless any of you upstanding gentlemen want to sell me yours for 15k, I wouldn't worry about it because nobody else is giving them away either.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
$27k for a 2012 TDI Lux with 50k is not a discount. It's a fair price. If the OP really wants one now, go low. Take advantage of the market conditions. We're going to see more TDIs no matter the outcome of dieselgate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spoke with the dealer today. I offered 27k but they claim that the local vw dealer offered to buy it off them for 28k for a customer. Dealer says they can't sell it to vw yet cause the don't have the title from previous owners finance company but will hold out rather than sell it for less.

I'm going to wait it out and see what happens, maybe they'll call back to they will get the title and the vw dealer won't follow through.

$27k for a 2012 TDI Lux with 50k is not a discount. It's a fair price. If the OP really wants one now, go low. Take advantage of the market conditions. We're going to see more TDIs no matter the outcome of dieselgate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It boils down to how badly you want this particular one. The "VW dealer wants to buy it" may just be a ruse (such as: "oh, I have another party seriously interested, so you need to decide now!") - then, it may not be. Are you willing to take the risk of calling them on it and get a better price - or lose that particular deal?

Willing to continue searching (=time) equals better deals; zooming into a particular one usually costs you.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Willing to continue searching (=time) equals better deals; zooming into a particular one usually costs you.
Absolutely true. A good salesperson smells it, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tdi

We are not in a rush to buy but would like to have something in the next 2-3 months.

This appeared to be the best price I've seen on a TDI in the Houston area where we live. Everything comparable seems to be 3-5k higher in price and this car was very clean for 50k miles.

I was able to corroborate the dealers story at the VW dealer, we went there to drive another car (V6, Lux, 40k miles priced at 31k, it was a smoker car though so we passed immediately) and they said they tried to buy the car from the other dealer..

Guess we will keep looking.

·
Registered
737 Posts
We are not in a rush to buy but would like to have something in the next 2-3 months.

This appeared to be the best price I've seen on a TDI in the Houston area where we live. Everything comparable seems to be 3-5k higher in price and this car was very clean for 50k miles.

Guess we will keep looking.
If you really like the truck, negotiate a deal based on the dealer throwing in a good aftermarket warranty. While they may not be interested in discounting the truck itself, they can bundle in a warranty at their cost.

If you're planning on keeping it for a while (3+ years) a grand or two in purchase price will be insignificant down the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.