Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my quest for better than factory intercoolers for our 2014 TDi Exec. I came across the Porsche Cayenne intercoolers which are ALL aluminum versus just an aluminum core with leaky plastic end tanks in our Touaregs. The Cayenne end tanks are welded directly onto the core so they won't leak, and as an extra bonus the core itself is 2-1/2 inches thick instead of the stock Touareg 2".:grin2:

I know that these will work on the T3's, and I think that they can also work on T1's and T2's even the V10's as the part numbers seem to be the same across the Touaregs from my research, but please double check me before ordering for a T1 or T2.:nerd:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Found two offerings, one for each side. However looking the OE units and the cayenne units, looks like you would have to pick up the cayenne charge pipes at least for one connection per intercooler. The OE use clips for the connection, the cayenne use a press and screw in type connection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intercooler-Charge-Air-Cooler-For-2008-2016-Porsche-Cayenne-Passenger-7L5145804B/172992681099?fits=Model:Cayenne|Submodel:Diesel&hash=item28472ad48b:g:YIAAAOSwdjdaFPFC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intercooler-For-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2016-Porsche-Cayenne-95511063901/152797643735?fits=Model:Cayenne|Submodel:Diesel&hash=item23937303d7:g:ZN0AAOSwcj1aFPHS

These almost look like the Turbo S intercooler knockoffs? Perhaps thats what they are. Here is another thread from Rennlist showing an upgrade from their plastic encapped Turbo intercoolers to the Turbo S all aluminum intercoolers.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/957324-turbo-s-intercoolers.html

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Does anyone have IAT logs of the OEM ICs that they are willing to share? I'd be interested in seeing stock vs modified IATs......
IMHO, both the 2" and 2.5" cores are insufficient, but the combined cores do have a decent surface area, so without any data, it's just speculation.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Does anyone have IAT logs of the OEM ICs that they are willing to share? I'd be interested in seeing stock vs modified IATs......
IMHO, both the 2" and 2.5" cores are insufficient, but the combined cores do have a decent surface area, so without any data, it's just speculation.

You're only going to find info like that through Rennlist for the Cayenne's. I've been here for over five years, and I believe this would be the only thread talking about an intercooler upgrade, I've ever seen.

They replace and do testing on all parts for the Cayenne's over there, not to mention get full aftermarket support and testing results from the companies.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not fitted mine yet, now I'm going to have to look at my end connections when I get home LOL

I know that I searched for a specific part number. I'll have to dig it up again and see :)

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing yet, but something I can do in the future.

You know with all of my spare time :grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Nothing yet, but something I can do in the future.

You know with all of my spare time :grin2::grin2:
We all have problems.... just sayin.... :grin2:
I can't tell by looking at the manual.... is there room in the OEM location for thicker cores? (read custom SMICs ~ 4-5" cores)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You're only going to find info like that through Rennlist for the Cayenne's. I've been here for over five years, and I believe this would be the only thread talking about an intercooler upgrade, I've ever seen.

They replace and do testing on all parts for the Cayenne's over there, not to mention get full aftermarket support and testing results from the companies.
I've been on Rennlist for the past two years and have NOT seen any threads regarding much of anything performance-wise for the Cayenne Diesels.

I've never seen anything about intercoolers, never mind what Porsche has done to make the same 3.0L motor any better/faster/more powerful although I have seen some 0-60 times that are a few tenths faster than the Touareg TDI times, like 7.0 vs 7.1 or 7.2.

I have also never seen this:

"They replace and do testing on all parts for the Cayenne's over there, not to mention get full aftermarket support and testing results from the companies." Guys would laugh pretty hard at this line as there is about nothing for aftermarket parts, from the USA, for Cayenne Diesels, it is the same parts-desert that is available for the Touareg TDI.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gains would likely be minimal unless you are racing. And lets face it these are not race vehicles....
There is a very small market for 3.0TDI especially in NA making it hard to justify producing aftermarket hardware.

The 0-60 times of the Cayenne may be better due to the faster shifting transmission, better aerodynamics, and / or stiffer suspension.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Gains would likely be minimal unless you are racing. And lets face it these are not race vehicles....
I would hope no one was expecting mad power gains from the better ICs...... but at the same time, I'm willing to bet that as soon as a tune is added and more boost is introduced due to it, the upgrade would quickly become more justifiable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Possibly in warmer weather.
Recent Dyno tuning of my T-Reg and Bosses Cayenne netted pretty the same numbers both stock and tuned. But it was mid-February in Montreal so intake air was hovering just above freezing point.
My A6 TDI had much better output both stock and tuned.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've been on Rennlist for the past two years and have NOT seen any threads regarding much of anything performance-wise for the Cayenne Diesels.

I've never seen anything about intercoolers, never mind what Porsche has done to make the same 3.0L motor any better/faster/more powerful although I have seen some 0-60 times that are a few tenths faster than the Touareg TDI times, like 7.0 vs 7.1 or 7.2.

I have also never seen this:

"They replace and do testing on all parts for the Cayenne's over there, not to mention get full aftermarket support and testing results from the companies." Guys would laugh pretty hard at this line as there is about nothing for aftermarket parts, from the USA, for Cayenne Diesels, it is the same parts-desert that is available for the Touareg TDI.

I said Cayenne's not Cayenne Diesels specifically just for that. The engine is the same for the Audi, VW, and Porsche, however most of the people who buy the diesel equipped SUV's don't do anything but drive them. About the only thing they love on Rennlist is the BlueSpark tuning boxes!

Only the turbo guys spring for the upgrades, and of which where these intercoolers '99.9%' came from. If you look at the diesel Cayennes and the Audi Q7, we all share the plastic intercoolers.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
So these appear to be the 957/958 CTTS intercoolers. Factory 493hp IIRC
I would be careful with looking at those values\ratings. This is why I'm asking if we have any IAT logs.
The TDIs use small snails to get fast response. When we tune them, we ask for even more from them so we are pushing them even harder and thus we induce even more heat into the charge. The ICs may have been designed to support 439hp in the donor setup, but we should look at what kind of airflow they were exposed to and what kind of boost pressures and IATs they were working at. I can make 400hp with a large turbo with large A/Rs and trims and not heat up the charge a whole lot, or I can make the same power with an undersized turbo by boosting the crap out of it and creating tons of heat at the same time.

Once again, I'm not hating on your SMICs, but I want to make sure we consider all aspects when we discuss these upgrades.

If you look at the Touareg setup, it's somewhat puzzling that VW went to dual SMICs. Check out the plumbing and such. The engine has a single turbo, but they split the charge to route in into dual ICs (I suspect they tried it with one and it wasn't sufficient). This added a wack of additional hardware as well as pressure drop, components, etc. There could also be the possibility that they were using parts they already had on the shelf (from previous models) so redesigning a proper, single FMIC would've been costly. (there seems to be plenty of room in the lower front center area for a thick FMIC).

IMHO at least.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts