Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
FYI: Unless it's for offload use only many shops will not install a used cat for you in the USA. You'll have to do it yourself or take it to a custom shop.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you usually can't go down to your local chain exhaust shop and have it done. As always, YMMV. ;- )

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
How I found out about federal laws RE cats:

Years ago, while in college, the cat (and muffler) fell off my Jeep. I literally ran over it. Being a poor college student (and not wanting to litter the roadway, ha ha!) I went back and picked it up and quickly threw it in the back. Yes, it was still hot. I drove home and the next day I went to the local muffler shop. They told me that they couldn't install a used cat into a vehicle. I told them that it was MY catalytic converter, and it was indeed used; it was used on MY vehicle! I must've looked honest, because they did believe me and re-installed it.

AFAIK, it's a federal law thing. Yes, they're worried about lawsuits. Lawsuits from the feds! LOL!

Most wrecking yards won't sell them, either. But I think that's because they re-sell them to recyclers for the precious metals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.