Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
FYI: Unless it's for offload use only many shops will not install a used cat for you in the USA. You'll have to do it yourself or take it to a custom shop.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you usually can't go down to your local chain exhaust shop and have it done. As always, YMMV. ;- )

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think it depends on the shop, and state, really. The shop I had my work done at was more of a Hot Rod type place. Mine was definitely his first Touareg!

But, he does great work! I'm sure if I asked him to fab up some long tube headers with no cats and just straight pipes out the back, he would do it.

I think people are just lawsuit happy, so naturally businesses have to protect themselves. If you had a shop gut your cats, and now you don't pass emissions, why blame the shop...?

Anyway, not the case here. I'd call around to some of the shops in the area. Maybe stick with mom N pop type shops, or places that have been around forever. Stay away from corporate type places that have rules and policies to follow. You may be in luck!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I think people are just lawsuit happy, so naturally businesses have to protect themselves. If you had a shop gut your cats, and now you don't pass emissions, why blame the shop...?
In a lot of cases there's a specific law preventing a business from doing things like that.
Or a bigger penalty if a business does it rather than an owner.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
How I found out about federal laws RE cats:

Years ago, while in college, the cat (and muffler) fell off my Jeep. I literally ran over it. Being a poor college student (and not wanting to litter the roadway, ha ha!) I went back and picked it up and quickly threw it in the back. Yes, it was still hot. I drove home and the next day I went to the local muffler shop. They told me that they couldn't install a used cat into a vehicle. I told them that it was MY catalytic converter, and it was indeed used; it was used on MY vehicle! I must've looked honest, because they did believe me and re-installed it.

AFAIK, it's a federal law thing. Yes, they're worried about lawsuits. Lawsuits from the feds! LOL!

Most wrecking yards won't sell them, either. But I think that's because they re-sell them to recyclers for the precious metals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts