Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi thought it best to start a new thread.

Hi I recently posted a video showing the movement at the centre Bearing Carrier and the opinion was that I should get it changed.

New Prop has arrived and am pretty sure that the play in the rubber is exactly the same as what is on the Touareg.

Has anyone got first hand experience of how much play there should be on a new installation, Can't find anything online that shows the movement.

I will link both videos.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

All set to get under the car and change it.

Video showing the current installation.

VW Touareg prop shaft flex part 2 - YouTube

The new Prop shaft.

New replacement,. any difference from what I have on there ? - YouTube

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If thethin section of rubber in the centre bearing on your existing shaft is not cracked or split I doubt you will notice any difference after replacing the shaft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dropping the carrier plate tomorrow to have a good look at it to make sure it's not separated,

Like my original post I asked how much play is considered to be normal and I'm still none the wiser. lol

I originally had different tread depths on the tyres which was more than 2mm, would the racking of the clutch cause a lot of noise ?

·
Registered
09 TDi
438 Posts
Havent just spend what seemed like days under my 09 I did inspect my bearing support. Although it's quite firm rubber it is still rubber so there is some movement when yanking on the shaft but very little. However I would not classify it as play. It's just not 100% solid.

If you want a number I'd say 1-2mm and again, that's with some effort.

Reactions: spike2450

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I've realised that when looking at the old bearing in the car I can see the driveshaft sagging in the rubber and not sitting centre, gonna take some before and after pics and post up a new thread to show the difference for future reference. The sag in the worn rubber is obvious.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I replaced my shaft with one from Colorado Driveshaft which was balanced and in good shape but if I had similar bearing issues again, I'd consider the Porsche fix or even the "Jimmy" fix.
I feel like my shift didn't really sag at all either. There could be more to it but those are my thoughts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Since you already have the new prop shaft I would just go ahead and replace it even as a preventative measure. The original will go to bad, it's only a matter of time. How many miles/kilometers are on the vehicle? Mine went out completely at 115k miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts