Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to program fob key with only one key ? I was trying do the screw driver in doorlock trick but idk which screw releases the door lock insert piece to stick screwdriver in . What r sum signs that tell u when fob got deactivated ? Thanx

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have only one key fob and I have to unlock and lock manually . The ignition won't even light up . I suspect the key fob needs to be programmed . I changed the battery in the fob and in the car so plenty of juice . Even my alarm goes off when I open the car manually ???!!!!! Does it not recognize the key . No kessy , I don't have touchopen feature . Doesn't unlock steering wheel . I put the key in the ignition and doesn't do anything but ges locked.
There's a trick u can open the driverside lock in stick a screw driver in while the fob is in the ignition to program . Goggle - program vw with one key .

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering what light comes on when you press unlock n lock on ur fob ? Red or green ? Pressing and holding down on mine blinks green only .

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I am 99.99999999997 percent sure the one key method will not work for a touareg.

The are 3 systems involved in the touareg. Every touareg has the first system. Then you either have the second or the third system. So in total, you have two separate systems in every touareg. Either it is 1-2 or 1-3.

The first one is simply a mechanical key cut to the correct pattern and the transponder "id chip" that is connected to the mechanical key. The door only has a mechanical key part in it. It lacks the necessary parts to read the id chip. So once you unlock the door, you have about 30 seconds to put the key in the ignition and turn it. This allows the immobilizer to read the transponder chip and to verify that you have a correctly cut key. If this does not occur in 30 seconds, the alarm horn goes off.

The second is the simple remote control key fob that locks and unlocks the vehicle.

The third system is the keyless start system. It does everything that the second system does, but requires a different remote fob and the addition of keyless door handles, door buttons/switches, and door antennas.

So #2 has a simple key fob and #3 has an advanced key fob. The remotes are hard coded to the vehicle. There are many VW remotes that all look the same, but if you must have the remote with the right internal electronics for your particular vehicle.

Note that #2 and #3 use remotes that look identical, but are not interchangeable. There is also another vw remote that looks exactly like the touareg remote, but only works on a passat.

Rereading your post... your vehicle will not start with the key in the ignition. Then the id chip is not being recognized.

If you had a SKU (secret key) and a vcds you would be able to program the key. Don't even ask, I don't even have my SKU for my personal vehicle. The odds of being able to get your SKU is nill to none.

Only a locksmith with the full set of VW access equipment or the dealer can reset your system. It will cost between $200 to $500 depending. And this assumes that nothing additional is defective, just two new remotes plus keys programmed to your vehicle. Get the valet key at the same time. Only about $30.00 to add it last time I checked.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Tregchi87, what you are looking to do is not going to work. The method you are describing will only program the buttons purely for getting in and out of the car. That being said I don't even know if that works on the Touareg. I have done it on a Passat, but not a Touareg. You need to take that key to the dealer and see if they can program it to the car. Odds are if it is not from a Touareg it will not work. This is not something you can do at home unfortunately. Dealer may not even bother with it since it is an unknown FOB. Car needs to be hooked up to the shop computer with network access to the mothership to get the SKC for your car. As said above by Nicky, I don't think you can even program it with VCDS even if you have the code. Bottom line, you are not doing this at home.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
The T1 with the SKC are possible. Getting the SKC is all but impossible. Even dealers can not get the SKU from VW corporate anymore. VW will not give it to the dealers, not even for the T1s. You have to hook it up to the dealers computers and it is all data (including he SKU) is encrypted end to end for the current key programming process.

He has a T2 ( 2008 ) I "think" the the immobilizers were updated for them, but don't know for sure.

All I can state for sure is that the immobilizers are different in the T3's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any update on this? My T1 just did this to me last Thursday. I came out of work and my remote would not interact with the Touareg at all. I can open it up manually and alarm goes off. I even tried to turn on the ignition before the alarm goes off, but no comply. Immobilizer Activated shows on dash. Steering wheel locked. I only have one key. I had it towed to my house to disconnect the battery and see if it resets, but no avail. Back to same situation. Is my only option is to take it to the dealer? I called them, and told me a $160 to diagnose the problem and goes to the new key which is $350 if I need replacement. I may have to get it towed there today.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you changed the battery in the key fob with a good quality one?

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's the first thing I did actually. I swapped it with the battery from my working Toyota Sienna remote and the key fob remote -- it is the same battery. It blinks green when you press it, but would not do anything. I did not replace it with a new battery but I can try to pick one up, if it make a difference. Seems like as if I am putting a wrong key in the ignition, the T1 one would not read it at all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just an update guys, got the truck back from an independent Euro Shop. They reprogrammed the immo module and replaced the truck battery with a new one. Diagnostic, Part, Labor for $800USD and failed Stealership diagnostic charge of $135USD, and the truck works again. The shop told me that when buying expensive / luxury rides such as we have specially when we bought it used, it's best to save at least $100/month for when it breaks down "rainy days".

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Glad it''s fixed but make the slush fund $250 pcm!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey I checked with dealer last year. 2 key method cannot work on Touareg.
My issue was I only have 1 key and seems water damaged, it ate battery each week so I brought a non-cut key from ebay and let a local locksmith cut the key. Then I tried that 2 key or 1 key method but it cannot program my key.
Bring to dealer and they ask for $180 key + $75 program fee so it would be easier to get one from dealer.
Now I have 2 key to open door, 1 can at least start my car...

·
Registered
682 Posts
A remote has three things.

1. Blade (the metal/plastic key) used for (emergency) for door and glove box. Must be cut by sidewinder machine.

2. Remote/Fob (buttons) used to unlock/lock (roll down/up windows, ETC) Uses RF to signal comfort module (and mated too) to do things. Need battery!

3. RFID (passive/active) Must be mated to immobilizer. Active= auto unlock due to proximity/button start (needs battery). Passive= needs to be near ignition coil in steering wheel (dead battery) or inserted in slot. Needs to be programmed at dealer or lock smith that spent $$$$$$ on machines. Small chip inside Fob.

RFID sometimes 'un-syncs' with vehicle and same programming machine can re-sync to its original vehicle.

Note:

Used remotes(RFID) are permanently matched to original vehicle and can NOT be reused. But the other two portions can be reused.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi. I had the same issue. I did the you youtube thing, internet search hacks etc etc. But nothing worked. Ended up paying a mobile outfit to come out and reprogramme a new key. Total cost was about £140 (inc key). Sometimes you just got to "eat the frog" and do it right!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I am 99.99999999997 percent sure the one key method will not work for a touareg.

The are 3 systems involved in the touareg. Every touareg has the first system. Then you either have the second or the third system. So in total, you have two separate systems in every touareg. Either it is 1-2 or 1-3.

The first one is simply a mechanical key cut to the correct pattern and the transponder "id chip" that is connected to the mechanical key. The door only has a mechanical key part in it. It lacks the necessary parts to read the id chip. So once you unlock the door, you have about 30 seconds to put the key in the ignition and turn it. This allows the immobilizer to read the transponder chip and to verify that you have a correctly cut key. If this does not occur in 30 seconds, the alarm horn goes off.

The second is the simple remote control key fob that locks and unlocks the vehicle.

The third system is the keyless start system. It does everything that the second system does, but requires a different remote fob and the addition of keyless door handles, door buttons/switches, and door antennas.

So #2 has a simple key fob and #3 has an advanced key fob. The remotes are hard coded to the vehicle. There are many VW remotes that all look the same, but if you must have the remote with the right internal electronics for your particular vehicle.

Note that #2 and #3 use remotes that look identical, but are not interchangeable. There is also another vw remote that looks exactly like the touareg remote, but only works on a passat.

Rereading your post... your vehicle will not start with the key in the ignition. Then the id chip is not being recognized.

If you had a SKU (secret key) and a vcds you would be able to program the key. Don't even ask, I don't even have my SKU for my personal vehicle. The odds of being able to get your SKU is nill to none.

Only a locksmith with the full set of VW access equipment or the dealer can reset your system. It will cost between $200 to $500 depending. And this assumes that nothing additional is defective, just two new remotes plus keys programmed to your vehicle. Get the valet key at the same time. Only about $30.00 to add it last time I checked.
Nicky, I have the #2 type. 2004 R5.
Recently the keyless entry stopped working on one of the fobs.
I can still manually unlock the door and start the engine.

The other fob still works properly.

Can a new, blank fob be programmed using VCDS or does it need some other machinery?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts