Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a problem on my Q7 4L 3.0 TDI 233 (2007), and I deceided to post here because is where I found more technical info about Touareg/Q7/Cayenne.

After doing myself an ATF change (filter, pan gasket, and oil change), the gearbox is not behaving correctly, and I don't know what to do.

I did the ATF change and because I made a mistake (bad level checking) the transmission was low on oil. The result of this was the car not being able to engage D only in hills (I drove like 50km). I re-checked the level and now it should be fine, but is not working properly.

The problem: when car is stone-cold (after 1 night parked for example) and you start it, you move selector to R or D, but it doesn't engage the gear. You doesn't feel the gear engaging and it is like being in Neutral, you press the throttle and rpm go high but it doesn't move. It seems that it needs a little bit of temperature and then you can engange D or R, and it works fine...

Does anyone have any clue what's going on? Maybe it is still low on oil?

Thanks and greetings from Barcelona :) :smile2:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Supermiester, what was your method for checking ATF level? Trans should between 30-35C with oil dripping out of overflow port and you should run thru the gears with your foot on the brake for about 10-15 seconds in each gear and check again. Did you make sure that the O ring on the filter was seated properly, it's easy for them to get pinched into the hole. If the above is correct it might be the valve body.

Reactions: supermeister

·
Learner
4,981 Posts
Which oil/fluid did you use? Is it definitely the original one recommended by Audi?
I wouldn’t use any other.
If so, then check the level as per the correct procedure- make sure its flat, right temperature.
You fill it until it flows over and out the tube inside

Reactions: supermeister

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies!

Supermiester, what was your method for checking ATF level? Trans should between 30-35C with oil dripping out of overflow port and you should run thru the gears with your foot on the brake for about 10-15 seconds in each gear and check again. Did you make sure that the O ring on the filter was seated properly, it's easy for them to get pinched into the hole. If the above is correct it might be the valve body.
First time my mistake was checking level with the oil too hot and without engine runing -> low level.

I know it should be between 35-45ºC, but the procedure is not accurate anywhere at all (or I didn't understood correctly). Many DIY guides aren't complete at all.

When you move the selector in every gear, you do it with the oil fill plug inserted or not?
Also... when the car is at 35ºC and I want to check the level, I need to remove the fill plug and let it removed (while the car is still running), but how many time should be enough? And here if the oil goes out it's overfill, but if no oil comes out after this time (how many time) I need to refill.

Page 59: manualzz [dot] com/doc/10940972/volkswagen-touareg--6-speed-automatic-transmission-09d-al.

Can you explain me please this problem with the o-ring of the filter? I read about that also before, and I made sure it was properly placed on the filter before inserting it on the hole. It should be fine I think.

Also, problem is only when car is stone-cold... after this, it works really well. Also, before messing with ATF worked always fine.
If the valve body was failing, would it fail always, or only when cold?

Which oil/fluid did you use? Is it definitely the original one recommended by Audi?
I wouldn’t use any other.
If so, then check the level as per the correct procedure- make sure its flat, right temperature.
You fill it until it flows over and out the tube inside
The oil I used was Mannol AG55 (VW G 055005 A2). Should be fine.

It sure sounds like a low level..... any idea how much you have put into it thus far?
I put about 6L. I want to think it is still low on oil level... but I wanted to ask here before trying again just in case any one had the same problem.
I read normally people get in with this method between 6 and 7 liters.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
837 Posts
I think that is the wrong fluid?

G 055 025 A2 Is what I have in the garage for my 2004’s that have the same transmission

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I drove as mentioned about 50km with for sure low oil level. Acording to this written on the official guide:

If during a repair, the ATF circulation to the cooler was opened, this inspection must be performed twice. Important: After the first inspection the ATF must be heated to at least 100 C - Test drive with measuring device! After the ATF cools off again, inspect the ATF level again as described here. Page 5 / 5ATF level, checking and topping off

I don't know if the oil cooler was opened during my driving... before checking again the level, should I try to reach +100ºC? It's cold here now and I think it will be difficult (yesterday I tried from work to home and I made only max 86ºC...).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that is the wrong fluid?

G 055 025 A2 Is what I have in the garage for my 2004’s that have the same transmission
Sorry, you mean it is correct, right? My transmission is the 09D Aissin (if I'm not wrong T1 and T2 have the same, and the Cayenne).

See here: clubtouareg (dot) com/forums/f43/all-models-transmission-fluid-15225.html

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
837 Posts
Sorry, you mean it is correct, right? My transmission is the 09D Aissin (if I'm not wrong T1 and T2 have the same, and the Cayenne).

See here: clubtouareg (dot) com/forums/f43/all-models-transmission-fluid-15225.html
No, I am nearly sure you used the wrong fluid. I read the thread and it is telling you to use the

G 055 025 A2 fluids

For what it is worth I always get gear fluids from the dealer and check them to be sure they are giving me the correct fluids. Motor oil I use what I think is best as it is changed often, gear oil stays in much longer so to me it is worth getting the dealer gear and transmission fluid/oil.

You used

G 055 005 A2 fluids

Different fluids

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I am nearly sure you used the wrong fluid. I read the thread and it is telling you to use the

G 055 025 A2 fluids

For what it is worth I always get gear fluids from the dealer and check them to be sure they are giving me the correct fluids. Motor oil I use what I think is best as it is changed often, gear oil stays in much longer so to me it is worth getting the dealer gear and transmission fluid/oil.

You used

G 055 005 A2 fluids

Different fluids
I am sorry, but yes, you are right! I made a mistake with the ATF :(

I will order the correct oil for the transmission, and I will flush it like mentioned on the link before. After that re-check the level on the pan with the correct method, and at the end a transmission reset. Once everything is done, I will give an update here.

The only thing I would like to be sure about now is how to properly check the level, I still have some doubts about that (mentioned on earlier post on the thread).

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
If you have changed the transmission filter, you might want to be 100% sure that the o-ring is seated correctly. We have had people who did not remove the old o-ring, which caused a problem as two o-rings will not seal. We also had people who had the new o-ring twist and not seat correctly.

TLDR: the o-ring is a pain to properly position.

Checking the correct fluid level is checking the fluid at the right temp.

The best cheap way to check the ATF temp is to use an infrared temp gun on the bottom of the ATF pan. Remember the pan will be perhaps 3 to 5 degrees less then the actual fluid temp, but it is close.

The best way period is to use VCDS and read the ATF fluid temp thru the scanner.

Unless you are expert level, I recommend two people present when doing this. You only have perhaps 5 to 7 minutes when the fluid will be in the right temp range. You don't have time to "figure it out" while reading directions and watching temps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have changed the transmission filter, you might want to be 100% sure that the o-ring is seated correctly. We have had people who did not remove the old o-ring, which caused a problem as two o-rings will not seal. We also had people who had the new o-ring twist and not seat correctly.

TLDR: the o-ring is a pain to properly position.

Checking the correct fluid level is checking the fluid at the right temp.

The best cheap way to check the ATF temp is to use an infrared temp gun on the bottom of the ATF pan. Remember the pan will be perhaps 3 to 5 degrees less then the actual fluid temp, but it is close.

The best way period is to use VCDS and read the ATF fluid temp thru the scanner.

Unless you are expert level, I recommend two people present when doing this. You only have perhaps 5 to 7 minutes when the fluid will be in the right temp range. You don't have time to "figure it out" while reading directions and watching temps.
Thanks for your reply. I will check also if the filter o-ring, just in case it is twisted or nor positioned correctly. If I am not wrong, the o-ring needs to be positioned on the filter before installing it, and then carefully push vertically the filter up again.

I have VCDS to read the temperature, that won't be a problem :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
If you don't use the flush method you will need to do two oil changes at least to get all the wrong fluid out. Which means you will need around 14 litres I guess. Check the transmission info on the ravenol website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
By the way the flush method is easy as I helped a friend do it on his aisin box on a vectra. I don't know how easy it is to access the oil cooler lines on the q7 though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Then get the right hoses and all and don't do it with a hot engine/oil. Wait for the engine and tranny to cool down so you don't burn the hoses and yourself.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
If you don't want to pay for the dealer oil Ravenol are recommended by Aisin. I got 20L from them free shipping.
I bought from ravenol-shop.de. Not direct from ravenol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE:
So I flushed all the oil in the gearbox. I flushed 14L, more than what the gearbox has, to ensure old oil was replaced. I used correct oil this time. Oil level correctly checked also with the correct procedure.

Problem still happening: when cold, in D or in R doesn't "engage" the gear and seems to keep Neutral instead.
I don't knwo what else to do or what could be wrong. I didn't check the new filter I replaced first time, but I am 95% sure it is correctly installed with the gasket in the correct position.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My guess is that because of the low level and because of having used the wrong fluid but driven the car for a while, a permanent damage might have occurred to either the above mentioned valve body/chest or to the clutch plates themselves. Which means only a rebuild could solve your problem. Then again, I have no clue about transmissions, so don't listen to me! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts