Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for all dealers to decline providing info on service history? I found a sticker under my hood for when a dealer Fletcher Jones in Chicago performed the coil/plug recall back in 2010. So I call them up asking if I can get a record of the service performed at that dealer. They tell me they can't provide info on previous ownership. Not even just verbal over the phone. Just wondering if this is an Illinois deal or if it's nationwide.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That has been a frustration of mine for a while. I did finally find a dealer who called other dealers for me to get data I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Some dealers won't and claim they can't. Yet others will. I've seen the dealer history on mine from the Carfax report. It seems many, if not all, dealers (or perhaps VW corporate if they pay the repair under warranty) submit the repair data to Carfax.
Try Carfax for your vin # and see what turns up.
It also may pay to drive the car in to the dealer service dept in question and request a service history. It helps of course if you already know that dealer has done work on the car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just go to your local dealer at your next service and ask them. All the service records are recorded and available at your request.

I have already asked my dealer about my latest 2010 treg and they were happy to pull up the service history for me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the dealer that you get your service done is the same as the dealer that the previous owner used?

That may be the difference since they kind of want your business. In my case, I was contacting a dealer in a different state, although I didn't tell him where I was located.

I may try getting some service done at my local dealer and see if they can pull up any history on my Treg.

I can't recall seeing much of service history on the carfax, at least not much detail on what was performed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was able to get the service records from the dealer where the previous owner brought it for service. I had proof of sale but they didn't ask for it. Keep trying, eventually you will find a dealer that is willing to pull the info for you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was not able to get it before the sale but was able to get it after the sale. All the records were on Carfax before the sale.

The dealer gave me the records of repair they did before they sold it. That was an interesting list. One of the items was an expensive computer board.

The Carfax indicated good regular maintenance.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I bought an allroad just over a year ago and tried to determine whether a timing belt had been done prior. I called every Audi dealer in the servicing area and finally found one who said that they had serviced the car at 75k and 85k. Unfortunately their records didn't indicate what they did at those intervals...so we did the TB.

When I bought my TDI from Pilot, he had his servicing dealer print every record. Pretty impressive list. :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Get the build sheets [also called data sheets] printed off as well. Every owner should have a copy of these.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good call on the build sheets. I didn't know one could be requested. Would the parts dept help with that or service?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Service usually. Several pages depending on how well spec'd the car was when new!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts