Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the questions I have been asking is if the timing belt has been replaced.

All the ones I've looked at are just over 100K and no one seems to know if it's been done.

At what point should I be worried? Some of these vehicles have 110K + miles on them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Timing belts should be replaced every 80,000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first. If you don't know 100% that it's been done
Plan on doing it. Noobytoogy will probably be along with some helpful info on what to look for when looking to buy a used Touareg.
Good luck

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,402 Posts
Due to the cost, nobody is going to forget that they had the timing belt replaced. Add the fact that the car (IMO) is worth more if you can show evidence that the timing belt has been recently replaced.

If they say they don't know, 99.2% chance that the answer is no!

·
Registered
561 Posts
One of the questions I have been asking is if the timing belt has been replaced.

All the ones I've looked at are just over 100K and no one seems to know if it's been done.

At what point should I be worried? Some of these vehicles have 110K + miles on them.

Thanks!
Which year and version are you shopping for? T1 V8 has the timing belt. AFAIK all T2 is chain no idea about the newer ones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm shopping for the best I can afford without making payments tbh.

I love the idea of a diesel, because I grew up with them (70s/80s Benz) and know properly cared for they will go and go...

However they are hard to come by in central Texas... so I thought I'd look at a few v8s... I know the timing is a big service so I felt like I should ask about it.

-R

·
Registered
709 Posts

Attachments

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
942 Posts
I'm shopping for the best I can afford without making payments tbh.

I love the idea of a diesel, because I grew up with them (70s/80s Benz) and know properly cared for they will go and go...

However they are hard to come by in central Texas... so I thought I'd look at a few v8s... I know the timing is a big service so I felt like I should ask about it.

-R
If you want a V10tdi you should be prepared to travel... I live in Maryland and the ones I have were bought in Virginia, Alabama, Georgia and Texas.... they go fast!

I’m selling a mint 2008 but may keep it.. too many people inquiring and leaving “partial payments” then “disappearing”

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above the early V8s have a timing belt and unless you are 1,000% sure [and more] that the belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat are all within the 80K/5 years, run away or pay to get the job done ASAP after buying.

As you probably know, as you have been asking the question, if the belt lets go the engine is toast.

Later FSI V8s have timing chains as do all the other Touaregs with the exception of the 5 cylinder [not sent to the US] and the V10 which have a wonderfully complex timing gear system - a joy to behold!

Here's the link to read carefully BEFORE you buy.....

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,402 Posts
Most of the newer engines have timing chains. Sad fact is (long term) the belts are more reliable then the chains. If you drive 250,000 miles, you are likely to have spent slightly less replacing the belts as you will have spent rebuilding the chains. Of course, YMMV.

tl/dr: Long Term VW timing chain reliability is not what is should be.

The best way it has been described is "Driving a German Car is the same as dating a Super Model. There are going to be extra expenses and you just have to accept them as part of the total package."

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
942 Posts
Are you getting to keep the 'deposits'?

Is that making the price drop?

-R
The price is already low. About $9000.00 less than one exactly like it online with more miles. Plus mine has lifetime SiriusXM and new tires and batteries!

No, I did not return the partial payment. If they choose to come back and the car is available I will honor their deal... for both buyers I made arrangements or services to the Touareg for their trip home. Honestly I thought it would be gone in hours... now I think I am going to keep it. I know it will be next to impossible to replace and I have way too much money invested in the Touareg vs the selling price to also have a “part time job” fielding all the Internet questions I am getting from the add

·
Registered
3 Posts
WOuld like more info on your 2008 but am confused as to whether you are selling it or keeping it ;)
Mileage? History of towing? Air suspension? Features? PM me with contact info to discuss. THX

Doug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts