Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Should have been a simple endeavor but obviously didn't go that way. I have a flashzilla which is locked to my tdi jetta. after getting the touareg I've reinstalled DPF/NOx cat and reinstalled original tune ready to sell the jetta and unlock the fz.

Now the issue i'm having is that i'd like to factory reset my flashzilla to use on my touareg but for some bizarre reason erasing data is password protected on the laptop program so i cant reset the turd. i dont remember ever making a password for it.

Any other way to reset?
Rectangle Font Software Technology Parallel

· Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Execline
124 Posts
I'd try something simple like 1111 or 0000 or 1234, might be a default password.

Other option is to open up a ticket with Malone on their website and go from there. They might ask for $100 to unlock the FZ, like they did with me.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd try something simple like 1111 or 0000 or 1234, might be a default password.

Other option is to open up a ticket with Malone on their website and go from there. They might ask for $100 to unlock the FZ, like they did with me.
Thanks but no dice.

I already opened a ticket but yet to respond. As it's sale weekend I pretty much have zero chance of getting it answered before sale is over.
It's funny because there is absolutely no mention of paying to unlock the FZ to use in another vehicle, just mentions a reset which I also have found zero information on. Go figure.

· Registered
124 Posts
Thanks but no dice.

I already opened a ticket but yet to respond. As it's sale weekend I pretty much have zero chance of getting it answered before sale is over.
It's funny because there is absolutely no mention of paying to unlock the FZ to use in another vehicle, just mentions a reset which I also have found zero information on. Go figure.
Sale ends Monday, so you can probably snag the 15% off if you touch base during business hours.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually recall reading that it is locked to the vehicle. That's why when some attempt to sell them, people question their usefulness and such.
I believe the deal is you have to restore the stock tune back on the vehicle ecu and then you can unlock the erase function which allows you to use the programmer on a different vehicle.

· Registered
5,676 Posts
I actually recall reading that it is locked to the vehicle. That's why when some attempt to sell them, people question their usefulness and such.
I believe this is actually the correct answer

· Registered
5,676 Posts
View attachment 254687

Right from malones site. Obviously I'm not selling it, just using it to flash my T3
A Google search has other vendors agreeing it's locked to one ECU.

Also, Tunezilla is a bit sketch in their wording

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A Google search has other vendors agreeing it's locked to one ECU.

Also, Tunezilla is a bit sketch in their wording
And that's the dilemma I'm in at the moment. There's the official malone site that says you can and then there's others that say you can't.

I'm not saying your wrong but contact through tunezilla site is dreadfully slow. About 2-3 days between replies. Paying $245 for something you use once only is ridiculous. On top of that there's a flashzilla shortage now

· Registered
5,676 Posts
And that's the dilemma I'm in at the moment. There's the official malone site that says you can and then there's others that say you can't.

I'm not saying your wrong but contact through tunezilla site is dreadfully slow. About 2-3 days between replies. Paying $245 for something you use once only is ridiculous. On top of that there's a flashzilla shortage now
They're Italian, makes sense. It's not really stupid, it's the name of the game sometimes

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ticket
I just did this today.

Took five minutes to reset. Cost $100 CAD plus tax.
Thanks bud.

I have a ticket opened from Saturday, had one reply yesterday (Monday) asking why I want to unlock the flashzilla. Perfectly honest I reckon the response was just to stall for time until the sale was over. No reply today.

I take it once you send the money they send you the password
I knew there was money involved, that's why there's so little information about the procedure. Just shady AF

· Registered
124 Posts
Not sure I follow? Nothing was shady in my experience.

I got multiple replies in short order throughout the process. I found I got quick replies if I replied shortly after receiving messages from their ticket portal. Otherwise things would take a little bit.

They reset the FZ remotely using an online portal. The process takes five minutes or less and is completely painless. No passwords were involved. I'd guess that you probably mistakenly set up a password somehow, my FZ doesn't have one. I just couldn't use it because it was locked to a different VIN. Hence the device reset fee/procedure.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure I follow? Nothing was shady in my experience.

I got multiple replies in short order throughout the process. I found I got quick replies if I replied shortly after receiving messages from their ticket portal. Otherwise things would take a little bit.

They reset the FZ remotely using an online portal. The process takes five minutes or less and is completely painless. No passwords were involved. I'd guess that you probably mistakenly set up a password somehow, my FZ doesn't have one. I just couldn't use it because it was locked to a different VIN. Hence the device reset fee/procedure.
Yours a V2 or V3

· Registered
124 Posts
Yours a V2 or V3
V3

Yeah, I'm just getting geared up with my Malone/Flashzilla experience. I would think if you're the original owner you could have it unlocked for your other vehicle, but I'm not versed with the fine print in the user agreement. It might be that one has to have one FZ per ECU. Which would be a real bummer, from an enthusiast perspective, as I'd like to use my FZ to tune my Sportwagen next.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,935 Posts
Almost seems pointless to own one unless you have multiple tunes that you're switching between like eco\max power, or you're always changing setups (exhaust, FMIC, intake) to find the optimal combo.... or unless you're doing a lot of logging and requesting custom tuning I guess.....

· Registered
5,676 Posts
Almost seems pointless to own one unless you have multiple tunes that you're switching between like eco\max power, or you're always changing setups (exhaust, FMIC, intake) to find the optimal combo.... or unless you're doing a lot of logging and requesting custom tuning I guess.....
It takes forever to switch between tunes and to flash the ECU. Definitely not something you want to do often. The handheld will hold your original plus 2 tunes though. Atop the inherent risk of tuning your ECU and limited flash writes etc of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts