Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Bluetooth Furrion camera on the prewired Furrion mount on my 2018 Jayco Octane trailer. Has enough power to turn on but not enough to send signal. If I hook up direct to trailer 12v battery it works fine with strong signal. Reading 13.2v at the 7 pin hook up but can’t seem to figure out the issue. The same trailer camera combo works fine hooked up to an F series pick up. Haven’t tried reading the voltage output at the Furrion hookup when connected to Treg yet.

Hmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Bluetooth signal range is very limited..... you're going to be out of range by the time you get into your Treg.....

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Also, you said "prewired" so I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer wired it to only receive power when you're in reverse or when the marker lights are on.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put a Bluetooth Furrion camera on the prewired Furrion mount on my 2018 Jayco Octane trailer. Has enough power to turn on but not enough to send signal. If I hook up direct to trailer 12v battery it works fine with strong signal. Reading 13.2v at the 7 pin hook up but can’t seem to figure out the issue. The same trailer camera combo works fine hooked up to an F series pick up. Haven’t tried reading the voltage output at the Furrion

hookup when connected to Treg yet.

We are having a similar issue with our Rockwood Trailer - we were advised by Furrion to get an adapter from E-trailer that would interpret the output from the 7-pin hitch as continuous power to the 12 volt socket pin - we did so, which helped, but we still have intermittent signals - it isn’t the Bluetooth signal that is the issue, or the lights needing to be continuously on or the car in reverse - our dealer did all the troubleshooting it could do and then stated that it must be the VW Touareg.... the only other solution is to somehow run a wire in the trailer directly to a 12 volt power source... what a headache!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
How can anyone possibly say that "it's the Touareg" if the solution is to "run a 12v wire from the Trailer to a power source"?
That statement alone says the problem is THE TRAILER and how it supplies power to the "pre-wired" camera mount\harness\plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had issues when we had to get our wiring set up to work with our wireless brake controller as well - our VW dealer had to tear up the car and get an aftermarket 7-pin adapter to get the wireless brake controller working correctly - I don’t pretend to have any electrical expertise whatsoever - there are 14 volts coming through the trailer pre-wired connection when we are hitched up with lights on, but there is still a pulsing on-off signal with the camera... I’m wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and found a simple solution.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We had issues when we had to get our wiring set up to work with our wireless brake controller as well - our VW dealer had to tear up the car and get an aftermarket 7-pin adapter to get the wireless brake controller working correctly - I don’t pretend to have any electrical expertise whatsoever - there are 14 volts coming through the trailer pre-wired connection when we are hitched up with lights on, but there is still a pulsing on-off signal with the camera... I’m wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and found a simple solution.
We are still having the same issue. Probably going to just wire directly into the the trailer 12 supply with an on/off switch (from the trailer battery) as that's what I've been doing with an extension wire from the camera to the cig lighter socket in the trailer. When we hook the trailer up to the Ford tow vehicle at the dealer and to a friends Grand Cherokee there is no issue. Only an issue with the VW. Just another expense in the toy hauler experience......

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
We are still having the same issue. Probably going to just wire directly into the the trailer 12 supply with an on/off switch (from the trailer battery) as that's what I've been doing with an extension wire from the camera to the cig lighter socket in the trailer. When we hook the trailer up to the Ford tow vehicle at the dealer and to a friends Grand Cherokee there is no issue. Only an issue with the VW. Just another expense in the toy hauler experience......
Have you tried putting your lights ON to see if they TT manufacturer tapped into the running lights for the power source?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up doing a very simple solution - I used the same hole that was already made for the Furrion Observation Camera and drilled a small hole through to the bathroom in the back, bought a $3 12 volt adapter from Walmart, took the spare wiring connector that came with our camera, wired that to the adapter and ran it neatly down the wall by the sink. We have a free standing battery pack that has a DC/Cigarette Lighter port. Before we head out on our trips I turn on that pack on, plug in the camera and it stays on for the whole trip. When we get to our destination I can unplug the camera - problem solved. Instead of messing with the Touareg’s wiring and spending 100’s of dollars in labor and diagnostics, $3 and some time solved our issue. The pre-wiring is still intact for when/if we ever use another vehicle for towing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up doing a very simple solution - I used the same hole that was already made for the Furrion Observation Camera and drilled a small hole through to the bathroom in the back, bought a $3 12 volt adapter from Walmart, took the spare wiring connector that came with our camera, wired that to the adapter and ran it neatly down the wall by the sink. We have a free standing battery pack that has a DC/Cigarette Lighter port. Before we head out on our trips I turn on that pack on, plug in the camera and it stays on for the whole trip. When we get to our destination I can unplug the camera - problem solved. Instead of messing with the Touareg’s wiring and spending 100’s of dollars in labor and diagnostics, $3 and some time solved our issue. The pre-wiring is still intact for when/if we ever use another vehicle for towing.

That’s what I did at first. But didn’t want the battery to die along the way (it did, I was going thousands of miles, lucky I had brought 2).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
supercraig1
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing