Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this problem every time we hit a certain camping spot that has about 3 miles of pretty steep downhill roads to get to. It's a pretty twisty and rough dirt road that we crawl down in 1st gear. We've had this issue come up several times with our 2010 VR6 Touareg. After about the first mile, you start to hear a whining noise that gets louder when you turn the wheel...it's coming from the power steering pump. By the time we get to the bottom of the hill (about 2 miles), the power steering sounds horrible....and you can notice that it's not working very well.

I popped the hood at the bottom of the hill, and noticed that the power steering reservoir is full of fluid, but really foamy. After everything cools down for a few hours and the foam is gone, I check the fluid...and it's at the proper level. The way back up the hill the next day doesn't cause any issues at all...it's only after going down the hill.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
147 Posts
If the fluid hasn't been changed it needs to be really easy to suck it out and refill drive a day or two and repeat should get a good change. The pump is cavitating which heats the fluid more and causes the foaming. Once cool the foam or air is released and the fluid can do its normal job again. The fluid is a wear item than needs regular service. And the 1L can filled the reservoir twice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would old fluid only cause an issue when going down steep hills for long periods of time? ....and no other time? I will change the fluid out, but I'm just trying to figure out why it's foaming up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts