Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of an easy way to drain the power steering fluid ?
I have a copy of Elsa win, but it makes no mention of draining the fluid, only bleeding.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You're going to laugh but I used a turkey-baster and sucked the reservoir empty and refilled it. Then turned on the car, turned the steering wheel full lock both left and right about 10 times and turned the car back off.

I repeated that about 4-5 times using a quart of CHF 202.

After I was done, the fluid was clearly light green after doing the final side to side lockouts.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
You're going to laugh but I used a turkey-baster and sucked the reservoir empty and refilled it. Then turned on the car, turned the steering wheel full lock both left and right about 10 times and turned the car back off.

I repeated that about 4-5 times using a quart of CHF 202.

After I was done, the fluid was clearly light green after doing the final side to side lockouts.

Perfect

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
510 Posts
Easiest place on most cars is at the cooler, but once drained it it relatively difficult to get a fill with no air.

If it is not too bad do the turkey baster (or just a siphon hose), and drain refill once or twice till it looks good.

If it is bad, drain, fill, crank with or fuel disconnected so it does not start, drain and crank again, then you have to start and shut down the engine letting the air and foam settle out of the fluid reservoir each time till it stops foaming. (Real PITA!)

One trick that might help is to use a brake power bleeder so it can push out air and such back in clear (non-foamy) fluid.

·
Registered
710 Posts
When you do this, raise the front of the vehicle so you don't scuff your tires.
My garage floor is epoxied and I'll say I was nervous as hell after the first set of back and forth clocking... Thinking I was going to have two huge rub spots! Lucky enough I didn't get any; but for future use I would recommend the exact same thing "Raise the front tires!" for peace of mind. :p

·
Registered
2005 V8
475 Posts
Other method is a BIG syringe with 200mm of 6mm diameter plastic hose over the needle section. I bought mine from a barbeque store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts