Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've always been sure to not force my hatch out of fear of breaking it. Just hit one of the buttons and let it take its time.

I went to the dealer today to get a bunch of parts and some def fluid. One of the parts guys offered to take the big box out to my treg while I waited for the DEF fluid.

He comes back hands me my keys and I make my way to put the def fluid in, had my hands full with a funnel the 2.5 gallons of DEF fluid, and some paperwork. As I walked out the door there was a bunch of people who had apparently never seen a sapphire blue Touareg, one was a salesman who I asked if he could and I quote "hit the button for the hatch, it will open itself " he replied "is it just under here?" I say yea and see him start to lift on it, where I immediately say "just hit the button, it will lift itself" ? I almost had to repeat myself before he stopped trying to open it. I know for a fact it was working because I put a hose reel in the back this morning. go figure now it doesn't work. The motor or whatever works and can hear it running for what seems like a longer than expected time.

So I'm at a loss.. surely a simple forcing of the hatch wouldn't break it??? But it would appear that way. Would I be wrong to accuse them of breaking it? I mean I told the guy specifically just to hit the button and it would raise itself.

I have to go back at some point to return these mud flaps that fit like ****, and a pedal cover. Also the monster mats I bought didn't look bran new, but I cant bitch about that really.. and I dont care, but they didnt come all together like they are when hanging on display. My Girl gave me her $500 gift card for xmas, and it sucks that it has turned into a bunch of crap.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention how I went back in and asked the original guy if it had worked for him, and he took a second and said he just lifted it himself and didn't know it was an auto hatch. I didn't make a big stink while I was there because I thought it might reset and start working again.. nope....

I just sent them an email.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
you might just have to reprogram it. If you open it manually and get it to where you want it, you can hold the button on the rear hatch (the one you usually press to let it auto close) and it will flash the lights i think inside the car to confirm the program. Mine did something odd like that before.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
didnt work, when I hit the button it wants to open it, like if I try to close it there is resistance until the motor stops running or the pump or whatever

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
864 Posts
Just guessing, when all else fails try disconnecting the battery. Seems to fix a lot of problems.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If it is a reset issue, open the tailgate (by power or manually) to what ever height you want (fully open if that's your desire) and while holding the hatch in that position, press and hold the CLOSE hatch button on the bottom edge of the hatch until the hazard lights flash (about 4 seconds). you should then be able to shut the hatch electrically and open it the same way. Manual opening and closing of the hatch generally does not cause any problems. John

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is yours the latest model? Your signature says 2010. T3 Touaregs were available late 2010. There is a known weakness in the lift gate motors in the T3 model. Had both of mine replaced after they failed an no problems since.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it to the dealer who said the pump failed, which was NOT caused by their employee... A HUGE "coincidence" "bad timing". Gave me a bunch of lines of crap like:

1: It is designed to bypass if it is forced and is not SUPPOSED to fail if forced
2: the bypass valve MUST have failed and caused the pump to fail when it was forced..
3:there is no way their guy caused the failure, it was already on its way out.

So I say, " your guy forced it, no doubt about that. We know that to be a fact. If the bypass valve is/was bad as you say, then your guy forced it and caused the pump to fail. IF he had opened it properly, it would still be working."

his response, "That's all speculation,we could sit here and speculate all day.."
I bud in, " All you have done is speculate, I've given you the facts, we know the facts, you have told me its not designed to fail if it is forced, but IT DID. The valve may have been failed, but if it was opened properly and not forced, the $1600 pump would not be damaged."

total repair cost was upwards of $3200.... they "GAVE" me wholesale price at $2040... then after some more arguing and making him feel stupid after he tells me he has a very good understanding of how it works (this is the service manager), he tells me he will take care of the labor and I'd just pay the $1600 for the pump...

There is no way I'm paying that, truthfully if I had broken it I would have disabled it and gotten over it. But I didn't and since I bought it I've made damn sure, out of pure fear of breaking it, I have let it do its thing and never did anything more than push the button.

After beating the balls off a mk7 tdi they gave me as a loaner for a few days, I just went and got it back from them, but I'm not done hassling them. I contacted VW of America, but they cant force the dealer to "own up" to the mistake. I will continue to harass the general manager until I get some sort of actual help that leads to a solution. At the least I want the parts for free and I'll install it. I'm not paying for someone else's fu*ck up, if this happened at my job I would not only be in deep sh*it, but would be paying for this somehow.

I hate how the dealer just sticks their upidty ass noses up, say their right solely on the assumption that they are the "hot sh*it" "know it alls" "professionals" and can say whatever they want and be right for no other reason than a book tells them that a hydraulic hatch is designed to not fail, not taking into account the age of the car, and how the "design" did not have had 6 years of testing, and they shouldn't be standing behind a design that is 6 years old.

sorry I have to rant

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I understand your frustration, but you have a 6 year old vehicle and things on a 6 year old vehicle are prone to break at any time.

The offer to eat all the labor and sell you the part at cost is a reasonable one. It is surely not the one that you want, but the dealer is meeting you halfway.

I speak from experience that if the dealer was as uncaring as you think they are... you would have been told (1) the car is getting old (2) so it has no warranty (3) so it is your problem (4) we can fix it for about $3000 which is our best and final offer and (5) if you are not happy with that, the exit is over there.

And the response from VW would have been the same if the dealer had told you that. Each and every time, VW corporate has the dealers backs, not the owners

You have a electrical motor with plastic gears that moves everything. Very common design found from all manufacturers. From the sound of it, the plastic gears are probably the problem. They could have jumped out of the track, but most likely they are brittle from age. Once again, older car. Like it or not, these things happen.

Even if you had been the only one to ever touch the Tourareg, it was only a matter of time before that rear hatch broke. You have even admitted that to yourself.

I understand the rant. I really do. But if you are that protective of your baby, then you should never "hand over the keys" to anybody for any reason.

Who is more at fault? The person that did not know the vehicle and opened the hatch manually (which the vehicle is 100% supposed to be capable of doing) or the person who suspected the hatch was close to failing and let others play with the hatch.

Not trying to belittle you. I do understand your feelings.

I have a best friend that feels that way about his mustang. In the end, I decided that it was for the best if I actually never ride in the car or physically touch it. I decided that right after his rant that he took "xxx" on a test ride and would have never done it if he realized "xxx" had dandruff. Now the entire interior was messed up.

I wish you the best and hope that you feel better after ranting. However this is an extremely imperfect world and a good compromise always leaves both parties feeling like they are getting screwed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol dandruff.

I am making a cover to the key hole in the dash because I'm all too familiar with passats and a6's having steering column control modules go bad and not releasing the key.

Things like that I can do something about, but I really can't protect it from stupidity.

They are telling me that it has a hydraulic pump and cylinder with hoses. I think the t3 went to an electric motor.

I don't think they removed anything to actually look at it. So I'm not sure if they even know that to be the issue, they probably just proved out the worst case.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
^^Have others chime in, but to the best of my knowledge, the only Touareg to have a hydraulic pump in the rear was the ones that had the electronic sway bar disconnects. Yes, lol at the only hydraulic pump is part of the electronic.... oh well.

The self closing rear hatch has (to the best of my knowledge) always been ran by a small electric motor. It has gas struts, but those are hardly "hydraulic" in my language.

If you are being told there are hydraulic pumps and hoses and fluids running the rear hatch... Now I am getting scared!!!

And ask on this also... but I thought the electric assist motor was built into the strut. And if that is the case, getting an used one and putting it in should be a fairly easy job that most of us could do at home.

Disclaimer: I am well versed in T1, decent in T2, and really don't know about the T3 series.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When it runs it just sounds like an electric motor. And it seems to catch at the top end slightly. As if a gear was partially stripped out

·
Registered
4,180 Posts

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
It was not what I was expecting to see. I have found one thread that mentioned that the the piston itself was likely to fail. Not much help (so far).

Perhaps someone with access to the factory repair manual would print out the pages specific to this system. I no longer have access to the old Bently CD rom repair and don't have a subscription to the on-line manual.

But yes, I am seeing some sort of oil line that I didn't know VW had used.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts