Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello, gentlemen, I recently became a happy Treg owner. But there was an issue - power mirrors hadn't worked. Researching a lot of different forums I found out that my motors probably dead, but when I tried to move an adjustment handle I heard "working" sound. New motor on Ebay is about 80-90 USD, so I needed 2 (those happy people, who don't care about 160 USD, can close the thread and enjoy something different:cool:). At one forum I found description how to disassemble the motors and fix the gears by soldering iron. I don't have one, but I decided to dig into this little motor, "just to make sure it's all broken and I can't do anything".
1. First of all GENTLY remove the mirror ( I left it hanging on a heater wires)
215908_01.jpg
2. Then, pull power connector and unscrew the motor (you'll need a torx bit)
215908_02.jpg
3. Using flat screwdriver, move axle end from the socket, one, than another
20160312_151613.jpg
4. Turn it counterclockwise, making sure white rails came out of sockets
20160312_151642.jpg
5. Remove the big ring, and using flat screwdriver or two flat precise screwdrivers, remove an axle (follow red circle)
20160312_151704.jpg
20160312_152523.jpg
20160312_152538.jpg
6. Now the "funny" part: using two flat precise screwdrivers, undo 8 click locks around the motor
20160312_152922.jpg
20160312_153401.jpg
7. Remove the lid, and you see motors and gears
20160312_153410.jpg
8. Look at this 3 tiny pieces of plastic, which suppose to "hold" steel spring ring (at this point I got a little disappointment about German quality)
20160312_153426.jpg
That's the things guy wanted to solder. I don't have soldering iron, so, needed to find another solution.
In general, this is a traction gear, kinda like clutch on manual transmission, as far as spring got hold tight, it works, but if some of the plastic holders fall off, it doesn't. I was wondering, why did they put such a strange mechanism here? Maybe for reducing speed from motor? I decided to take off the main gear and plug motor back to the car, speed wasn't too high. Later, I realized why: when you install mirror back on its' place, you put a lot of power, and direct gear can just break down. Anyway, I decided to glue gear to axle, using superglue (I had nothing to lose!). Used some paint thinner to prepare the surfaces
20160312_153610.jpg
9. Then, let it sit for a half a hour, and put one end of an axle into bottom part of curve-shaped rail, clicked it back. Put the lid back.
10. Plug it to car, check that white rails move. Unplug.
11. Put the big ring back in opposite order.
12. Plug it to car, check if everything works.
13. Screw the motor back to base.
14. Gently set the mirror back until it clicks.
15. Check.
In my case after all procedures mirror started to work only in L/H direction, I was slightly disappointed, but it was way better, than nothing. Next day I tried it again and everything worked just fine! I assume it was because of mirror installation, when I pressed too much and clue "slipped" and after few hours sticked back and started to work.
Thank you for reading so far!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good post, well done.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Nice writeup and great photos! I never thought to soak the gears and remove the grease in order to glue them together. That's probably better than melting them together. The fumes are NASTY!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice writeup and great photos! I never thought to soak the gears and remove the grease in order to glue them together. That's probably better than melting them together. The fumes are NASTY!
Thank you! I just needed to remove old grease, to make a better "grip". Melting is just more work, nut result should be better, because it's like restoration of original detail.

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
I just replaced the motor in my passenger side mirror. I didn't want to deal with tearing it apart. I did replace it myself though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just replaced the motor in my passenger side mirror. I didn't want to deal with tearing it apart. I did replace it myself though.
Yeah, we have slow season now in Florida, so, I have a lot of time and not a lot of money, so I tore it apart....2 times))

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have read of a few cases of an 08' having a side mirror stop working (big mirrors on the T2). My 08' is toast too, I will look into this.

Does it seem the T1(smaller mirrors) is better with this? My 07' has never had an issue, but also it seems like I don't recall reading of any T1's with this issue??? Maybe just haven't been paying attention.

To the OP: Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have read of a few cases of an 08' having a side mirror stop working (big mirrors on the T2). My 08' is toast too, I will look into this.

Does it seem the T1(smaller mirrors) is better with this? My 07' has never had an issue, but also it seems like I don't recall reading of any T1's with this issue??? Maybe just haven't been paying attention.

To the OP: Thank you!
If the T1's mirrors are smaller it can be different, because they probably used the same motors to T2s, but mirror itself is bigger and heavier. So, it can end up motors faster.
You're welcome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My drivers side mirror was only working sideways, then stopped working altogether.
You could hear the motors working, so i thought what the heck have a go and maybe save a few hundred dollars. All completed and working in a few hours.
The only difficult part was as stated "removing the 8 motor cover clips"
Thanks for the photos and instructions...........and saving me a few hundred $

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My drivers side mirror was only working sideways, then stopped working altogether.
You could hear the motors working, so i thought what the heck have a go and maybe save a few hundred dollars. All completed and working in a few hours.
The only difficult part was as stated "removing the 8 motor cover clips"
Thanks for the photos and instructions...........and saving me a few hundred $
You're welcome, comrade!:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you so much for this how to fix my mirror done the same and glued the gears now works great and all for the price of some glue

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
One explanation could be that one of the cars had memory mirrors, and the other not. The one with the memory mirror will automatically adjust to point slightly downwards when you're reversing, and the go back to its original position when you start driving forward. This obviously puts an extra stress (extra wear) on the motor in these mirrors, as compared to the non-memory version, which gets essentially never adjusted, unless probably a different person drives the car, and thus should wear out only a lot later, if at all.

Another reason could be differences in how the car and especially the mirrors are washed and cleaned. If you push against the mirror why washing/cleaning it, that again puts a lot of extra stress on the gears, causing them to wear or break a lot sooner, than if you'd not touch the mirror at all.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Does anyone know if the memory mirror (4L0959577A) can be used in a non-memory (4L0959577) application?

I have the non-memory motors fitted which only work in the one up/down axis and I've found two motors with the memory 'A' suffix from a wrecker but unsure they would work, my gut feel is that they would but would be good to be sure before possibly throwing good money away.

TonyB

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
No, they have different connectors and electronics. That being said the actual adjuster mechanical parts are the same. So, if your problem is that some gears (or the clutch mechanism) broke in yours, that - or even the actual motors themselves - can be transplanted to the other one. But you won't be able to directly use any A suffixed parts in place of the non-suffixed ones, or vice versa, and if it's the electronics that died, the other part will be no use for you either.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thanks Gnits for confiming a no go.

TonyB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts