Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out the hard way a couple days ago that leaving the mirrors folded in the winter with possibility of snow and freezing is a bad idea. I had ever told myself I needed to turn off the auto fold when there was a chance of freezing weather but forgot. As such my mirrors were frozen folded. Luckily I was parked in my driveway and was able to swap vehicles in the garage and implemented a hand held heating device (don't tell the wife I used her hair dryer) to thaw things out.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
One more reason to switch off mirrors auto-folding function when cold, is temperatures dropping very low (-20F or lower) affecting battery performance – especially after car was parked outside for an extended period of time. As you know, the system will try to unfold mirrors first before starting the engine. Same rule applies to heater/fan, seat heaters, radio, etc.

P.S. About 15 (?) or so years ago I’ve decided to wash my car (drove the first vintage Durango back then) when it was in single digits, but car wash at the local Holiday station was (for an unknown reason) still operational. I drove home, parked in the garage and could not open doors and exit at all. I’ve ended up honking for my wife to come out and help me, which she did not do right away as she thought I’m goofing around or something…

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
One more reason to switch off mirrors auto-folding function when cold, is temperatures dropping very low (-20F or lower) affecting battery performance – especially after car was parked outside for an extended period of time. As you know, the system will try to unfold mirrors first before starting the engine. Same rule applies to heater/fan, seat heaters, radio, etc.

P.S. About 15 (?) or so years ago I’ve decided to wash my car (drove the first vintage Durango back then) when it was in single digits, but car wash at the local Holiday station was (for an unknown reason) still operational. I drove home, parked in the garage and could not open doors and exit at all. I’ve ended up honking for my wife to come out and help me, which she did not do right away as she thought I’m goofing around or something…
Standard practice when the temps drop down below -20°C is to turn off all electrics before shutting down to park. That way the battery powers the glow plugs and starter only (more or less).

I've also experienced frozen windows and doors after a car wash in the winter. It's worse trying to get in your car when it's frozen. I've actually broken a door handle pulling on it. If you're inside, pull the handle and put your body into it.

After washing the car in the winter here, I always wipe the door seals, including the hatch. I will also roll down the windows a crack so that the window runs will dry out. And don't forget to work the door handles a few times as they freeze.

BTW: -26°C this morning. It's starting to get cold here again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've noticed that mine does not fold out the mirrors until after the engine is started (load while alternator starts). However, since my Treg is parked outside, this was a great reminder to disable the auto fold-in feature to prevent freezing...thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts