Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering purchasing a low mileage 2013 Touareg Lux (3.6L). Have a 3500 lb boat with single axle trailer - no trailer brakes. Is this a problem?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No problem. I have a 3.6 and while my 4.2 is the tow vehicle pictured, we used to tow a 5k lbs loaded TT with our 3.6... the TT shown is north of 6k. The 3.6 will do great with 3.5k, it is a beast of a VR6.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Considering purchasing a low mileage 2013 Touareg Lux (3.6L). Have a 3500 lb boat with single axle trailer - no trailer brakes. Is this a problem?
So you are hanging over one and a half to two tons off the back end with no brakes at all, not even over-run brakes?

I might tow that slowly a mile or two to the local slipway, but no way would I go any further with it.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Nooby is right about being hesitant with no brakes, I would be careful here too. I only tow braked, but understand watercraft generally do not have electric brake (but surge) due to water being an issue (not a water guy so I am going off what I have read here and other places). I guess I am a little surprised your trailer doesn't have some form of brake.

I also believe the specified tow rating w/o brakes is pretty low (like 1,600 lbs or so??) as well as state laws being pretty low too...things to consider.

Will it stop it? Yes, but you will need more room and will need to think ahead. I am not sure I would want to try this in any vehicle F 350 or other, so it isn't the a Treg that is lacking here...

·
Registered
454 Posts
All but a few states require brakes on a trailer with a gross weight of 3000 lbs or lower. He happens to live in one of the few that doesn't.

Will the Touareg handle a 3500lb boat PLUS the weight of a trailer? No problem. Will it be able to stop? Yes. Will it stop quick enough when you need it to? Can't say.

You can add brakes to a trailer for $400 or less. I would advise you to do that no matter what the tow vehicle is. You will be safer and you will save wear on your new tow vehicle as well. You will also be legal if you tow out of state.

·
Registered
786 Posts
No brakes would be fine for shorter hauls and lower speeds - even with 3500 lbs back there. I'd be a little more hesitant at highway speeds, and NEVER in hills / mountains.

I pull a single axle boat trailer (4500lb trailer). Yes it has surge brakes. However, I had an issue with an axle seal (Ranger trailer - oil filled hubs) that was leaking all over the disc - still stopped just fine (oil all over the disc sort of precludes braking on that side).

Your biggest issue wouldn't be stopping, it would be repetitive stopping - as in brake fade due to heat. There's enough clamping force and surface area that the brakes would do the job hauling all that mass down. The question is how hot would it get and would fade set in (from pads too hot, fluid starting to boil, etc) before the vehicle was stopped from higher speeds.

Also, depending on how much you tow and how frequent / hard you brake while towing, expect increased brake wear.

Now, all that said - I'm not sure what you currently tow with, but the brakes on a Touareg are FAR better than most everything else on the market. If you look at the brakes on a Chevy / Ford / Ram pickup or pickup based SUV, you will notice the discs are smaller - much smaller in many cases (less surface area) and most of them use a multi-piece caliper with piston(s) on one side only. The Touareg uses a one piece (solid) caliper with pistons on both sides. The result is a braking system that is able to generate more force, spread evenly across the surface of the pads. Look no further than any race car and you will see a similar set up.

BTW - I pulled my boat with my old V6 Touareg and it pulled great. There is a substantial difference in torque in the TDI motor, and my current Touareg pulls my boat almost effortlessly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Are you doing any mountain driving?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts