Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the option to purchase a 2004 Touareg, here are some general facts and my pros/cons.

-V8
-75,000 Miles
-been in the family for roughly 10 years

Cons:
-Poor MPG
-Electrical gremlins, minor? Random warning lights
-popping when turning
-distinct gas smell near driver rear tire

Pros:
-power for days, makes driving fun again
-great stock sound system
-AWD makes towing a possibility
-over all condition great/good for the age

This would be a daily commuter, 60 miles round trip. Going in I knew the MPG was awful, can this be improved? Only other item that worries me a little is the popping when performing tight turns. Am I to assume this is the balljoints or a similar suspension component?

I'm mechanically inclined and perform 90 percent of all maintenance/repair work on my other vehicles. So turning a wrench doesn't scare me in the least.

Appreciate any input regarding the mechanicals and general insight about owning and operating a 2004 Touareg.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The mpg is what it is: you pay to play.

Read the buying a used Touareg thread - link is in my signature below. Well worth the time.

Your car is on low miles so the most important question is: have the timing belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat been changed within the last 5 years? If not they need doing ASAP or, when the belt lets go, the engine is toast.

Popping on tight turns? Has the car got 4 IDENTICAL tires as in same make, same model, same tread pattern, same size and with no more the 2/32ths tread depth difference between tires on the same axle and no more than 3/32ths tread depth difference between tires on the front and rear axles.

If not, you need 4 new tires ASAP as mismatched tires cam cause expensive damage to the transmission.

Alternatively it could be a duff stepper motor. Early cars had problems with these and many were changed under warranty. There was also a software fix too.

I always say never ever take on a Touareg with known faults. You need to scan the car on VCDS, clear the faults - and hopefully the warning lights - and drive it again. Then rescan to see what codes come back.

A low battery throws lots of faults and lights.

But do read the link I have given you - all the info you need is in there.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The mpg is what it is: you pay to play.

Read the buying a used Touareg thread - link is in my signature below. Well worth the time.

I always say never ever take on a Touareg with known faults.
Generally true with German cars...there are enough of them out there that it's worth waiting for a clean example owned by someone who took good care of it. Buying a car with obvious problems suggests that you are also buying non-obvious problems.

A cheap Porsche (or Touareg) is the most expensive car you can buy!

...unless you're buying a basket case and know exactly what you're getting into. I bought an '04 allroad a year ago with gallons of rainwater in the footwells and every light lit on the dash. I've put more money into it than a clean example would have cost, but most of the expense was expected and I've done a lot of customizing/upgrading (S6 leather/alcantara interior, suspension, brakes, etc.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the the advice. Bummer on the mileage, I was hoping for a little improvement. :rolleyes:

Most forums like pictures, figured I'd share one

-Tires match
-errors are sporadic, a low battery makes sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts