Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any reason why the "Edit" feature of a post disappears approximately 30 minutes after making the post?

At times, have found it annoying (due to silly grammatical/spelling/factor errors detected after I have had a chance to review).

Signed

Curious. :-k

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It has always been thus and people have complained before.

If you are writing a long post, do it elsewhere, get it right and then cut and paste on to here.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Of course I won't!!

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
I think I brought it to the attention of many a couple of days ago, which at the time seemed reasonable. Now I just understand that I am a "Grumpy Old Bastard"......

Stu...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Editing is something several of us would really like fixed and extended to, say, an hour.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
I would like to keep the edit lock in place as it prevents someone from deleting or modifying posts for the long term. However I'll look at the current grace period and consider extending it.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like to keep the edit lock in place as it prevents someone from deleting or modifying posts for the long term. However I'll look at the current grace period and consider extending it.
fair comment. I have seen similar action (multiple post deletion) occur on other forums when some one has 'spat the dummy'.

it's a legacy that makes threads incomprehensible.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Question to Tech Admin, if there is any opportunity to delay the new posts sending to subscribed recipients until the 30 min. time allowance fully elapsed? Sometimes me (and other members) change my mind and delete or edit the new post but it's too late, your text is in the inbox trays.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I agree with locking posts - it's all to easy for an awkward blighter to make a comment which others respond to and then the original poster edits their post thus making the subsequent responders look like dumbos unless they have quoted the original post when replying!

·
Registered
675 Posts
some forums a feature for when you take a while to write a post and another posts on the same topic in that time, when you click "post" a message comes up showing the posts that occurred in the interim.

I would like to see that here also.

eg. I was asking about rear storage drawers, posted a derogatory comment about generic drawers, however in the meanwhile a member posted his home made drawer unit, so it looked like I was bagging his drawers.

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
some forums a feature for when you take a while to write a post and another posts on the same topic in that time, when you click "post" a message comes up showing the posts that occurred in the interim.

I would like to see that here also.

eg. I was asking about rear storage drawers, posted a derogatory comment about generic drawers, however in the meanwhile a member posted his home made drawer unit, so it looked like I was bagging his drawers.
I remember that occasion.;)

·
Administrator
511 Posts
Hey guys,
Before making any changes, I just want to clarify. Is everyone okay then with extending the editing post time to 1 hour? Also, you guys wanted something to delay notifications going out until the 1 hour edit time is up?

Thanks,
Marie, Community Support

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'd be happier with an hour.

I think the other thing that was raised - if I understood the post correctly - was being able to see whether anyone else had posted on a thread whilst I, for example, have been typing a long-winded response and seeing that/those post/posts before I click on the Post button with my own reply.

However, thinking about it, it is possible to amend the post or even delete it if someone else has indeed posted a faster - and better?! - response so I'm asking why would such an option be needed?

As for a time delay on sending posts to those who have subscribed to a thread, I think this is a good idea if it is technically possible. As with this specific post, which I have now edited several times, I often edit and add to posts, especially if there's something I go off and find a link for, for example, to beef up my response.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hey guys,
Before making any changes, I just want to clarify. Is everyone okay then with extending the editing post time to 1 hour? Also, you guys wanted something to delay notifications going out until the 1 hour edit time is up?

Thanks,
Marie, Community Support
Yo, fine with me. (& yes, I do use it too) Dub

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Ok with me too, will be useful.

Will the edit function be disabled as soon there is a reply to a post as is now?

Also, congrats to Steve_L from Perth, WA on becoming a CT moderator!

Good stuff mate, just go easy on us Aussies, ey.:D:D:D

tonyB

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
12 Participants
noobytoogy
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing