Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a problem, and hope to find some help here.

My 05 V8 (130,000 miles) has been acting up lately.

Facts:
- Engine light on
- Traction control light on
- Codes P0491, P0171, P0174 etc...
- rough idle
- sometime stuttering when taking off

History:
I changed the vacuum pumps (OEM), MAF's (AIP Electronics Aftermarket), one EGR (Aftermarket) and the crank case vent valve (OEM).

Truck was diagnosed by VW twice and a independent mechanic without success (I didn't let them dig into it thou in fear of a astronomical bill).

Observation:
The truck makes a noise that I can't really explain. Maybe it is air escaping somewhere.
The noise is not related to RPM

It only happens when I push the accelerator and goes up in frequency as I push the accelerator deeper.

Also, the noise is not always present, although most of the time.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
522 Posts
P0491 = secondary air injection system bank 1, insufficient flow. Check hose between Secondary air injection pump and combo valve, check combo valve. Secondary injection ports in cylinder head maybe plugged with carbon. The other two faults are fuel system too lean banks 1&2 and probably will go away once you take care of the P0491 fault

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you mtnride!

I went back and checked all connections and hoses and didnt find any issues.

I did however find the source of the noise. It was the crank case vent valve. I opened it up to check it out, and found the small orange membrane to be installed incorrectly.
Once I had it installed correctly and back in place, the noise went away and the engine started to run smooth again.

The engine light is still on. I wont reset it but wait till it turns off on its own. In-case it doesn't, I at least have the history on the ECM and can start looking again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Good detective work! New crankcase vent valve, part # 18234-08021499, 05 touareg V8 partsgeek.com $136.73.
Crankcase vent valve. oil/air separator. PCV valve. OEM part # 077103245B 05 touareg V8 VWpartsnation.com $106.82, list price $136.95.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got an 06 Touareg 4.2 that keeps showing an engine light. I checked all the vacuum connections I could get to and reset the light. It has set again and reads;
P0174 MOD$10
Bank 2 system too lean.
It seems to set the code on moderate braking. I just discovered that today. Anyone seen this problem, or know where to look, or even a backyard shop fix?
Thanks!!
I just realized this is in a reply box but im going to post it anyway

·
Registered
522 Posts
Brickman, lots of possible causes for lean bank 2. Have you run a vag-com or just an OBD II. A Vag-com will give you more detailed Information. Post results and I'm sure you'll get all kinds helpful advice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
mtnride
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing