Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 15 golf TDI was recently totaled. We are looking to replace it in a few days. Choices have been narrowed down to a few examples of 15 golf sportwagen TDIs and a 13 Touareg 3.0 TDI Lux. First a little background, the wife loved her golf to death, we keep it thru the DieselGate scandel and used the pay offs to start our collection of air cooled and random VWs. we current have a 73 beetle, 68 beetle, 71 super convertible, 74 super, 71 westfalia, 69 bus, 82 diesel vanagon asi conversion, 74 412, 74 thing, and 2 ahu powered jetta mk3s (one for engine swap into vanagon, one driven daily by my stepson). We are set on a TDI due to the rather long commute she makes 2 days a week for work. I was schooled as a diesel mechanic for large diesels and off road equipment so I do most of my own maintenance. I aalso work on jet engines on the A-10 Worthog for the US Air National Guard so I am not afraid of getting greasy.

What I am looking for is some real reviews from owners. Please don't sugar coat. I think she should buy the Suv for the space and to do a little better in the Pennsylvania winters so i dont have to worry about leaving her my truck when there is a hint of snow during the week (I drive an 18 wheeler so I am not home most Mondays thru Fridays). I know that it will not get the MPGs that here little car got and we are willing to take a little hit there but that is a major reason we are staying with the vw TDI family.

I have heard that there may be an issue with steering wobble at 60mph or so that vw has had a bit of an issue tracking down and fixing. Is there any light to this or has a fix been discovered.

Any downside you have discovered would be great.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well the Touareg is a tank and if you are worried about getting hit again it is a safe vehicle.

Probably a toss up between either choice you mentioned, but you should just have her drive both and see what she thinks.

The wobble you were talking about often has to do with how the front wheels get mounted and there is a service bulletin regarding this issue. Not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 2011 Touareg TDI with 67K miles in June 2019 from a VW dealer, it came with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. The only issue I had was a bad HVAC blower that was replaced under the warranty. I love driving it and feel pretty safe in it. Best luck with your purchase.
Chuck

·
Registered
387 Posts
VW made a complete mess of dealing with the steering wheel shakes (SWS) and there are several threads on here about it.

Eventually VW issued a Technical Service Bulletin and you carefully torque the wheels to 133 ft lbs for the cure. Again there's a long thread on here about the fix.

Other than that, read up on High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failure and don't run the fuel tank less than 1/4 full, use good quality diesel from stations that turn over their fuel stocks regularly, and consider using an additive for improved fuel lubricity.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have both a 2015 GSW TDI and a 2016 Touareg TDI Lux with the light package. Different animals, but they're both easy to drive, and each has that fun TDI torque put-a-smile-on-your-face factor. Totally different animals, and not all of the features are similar across the lines. AdBlue refill is in a totally different location, and I hate the one on the T'reg. Both have quality build and that satisfying door closing sound. Your GSW looks like what happened to my 2009 JSW TDI. It was repaired well, but it looks like maybe your wheel structure got bent a lot more than mine.

·
Registered
267 Posts
First of all, you were running the wrong tires if you put the Golf away at the first hint of snow. We tend to park our trucks at the first hint of snow, depsite Nokian Hakkapeliittas on both the cars and the trucks. The cars simply corner and stop better in the snow, in our experience.

Our Touareg is okay, but when it comes time to replace it I will be moving to a GSW, or maybe one of the new diesel Suburbans. For its size and weight, it is simply too small on the inside from a cargo perspective. As a car, there is no way to disguise that it is still a 5000# pig underneath. There is nothing seriously wrong with the car, but we have keys to five vehicles in a drawer and the Touareg tends to be more of a third choice. Nobody complains about driving it, but nobody asks if they can take it either.

Reliability of the car has been middling. Mine has chronic ACC and TPMS issues, and required a new DPF (!) at 80,000 miles; I also think I have a bit of a timing chain rattle. I didn't expect Honda-like reliability but I was sort of hoping for fewer issues on a car that doesn't even have 100,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Perfect fit for a VW fan and diesel mechanic. You got this covered. The TDI will love the long commutes.

Steering Wheel Shake, you got this. VW put a centering ring on all the early models. A gorilla could stick on those wheels and they self center.

VW removed the centering ring to save a tiny amount of rotational weight. Hilarity happened. You know have to follow a 17 step process (not really) with a goat sacrifice to properly install a wheel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
HVAC blower failure is fairly common on 2011 and up and motor is not that expensive and easy to get at, so I would not be too concerned about it.
I bought a 2011 Touareg TDI with 67K miles in June 2019 from a VW dealer, it came with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. The only issue I had was a bad HVAC blower that was replaced under the warranty. I love driving it and feel pretty safe in it. Best luck with your purchase.
Chuck
Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts