Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not new to VW
I've had my fare share but I've always wanted a Touareg.
I was about to get a 05 when the owner tells me that now it's throwing a cam sensor code p0340. It has 102k on the clock with the original timing and water pump. What cha think run or take a chance. It's three hours away. Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
You might want to do a quick search to see what that code relates to but if it hasn't had a timing belt changed its overdo if it has a V8. The V6 has a timing chain

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the cam shaft position sensor
That's why I'm a little worried
The guy says it runs great but it could be just a bad sensor or out of time a little

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda what I'm thinking
I wish it was closer so I could test drive it
Could just be a bad sensor but couldn't it be a little out of time ?
It's a v8
The owner was at autozone and put the guy there on the phone and he said said it was running fine. I just don't know. If it was out of time even a little you think you'd be notice it not running right

·
Registered
557 Posts
Pass, look for something closer, OR get the owner to have it fixed, with paper work.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Never ever buy a Touareg with any faults that are not rectified - and checked - before purchase.

Run away.

Early V8s need a new timing belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat every 80K or 5 years, whichever comes first.

If the belt goes, the engine is toast.

That car's service regime has been ignored.

Run away VERY fast!

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it hasn't had the timing belt changed they may have neglected the services over the years, could be a bit more wear and tear than usual, but saying that if the price is right and you're willing to spend some money if it turns out to be something major ( you have to be prepared for something big $$$$) go for a Day out and have a look, if it feels right go for it it may be just the car for you, if not turn around and walk away, by the wife some dinner and have a nice day out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He wants 6k and it has 102k on the clock
To hi or about right ?
Could it be just a bad sensor or could it have maybe jumped time maybe one tooth who knows. I'm fairly mechanicly inclined in some areas but timing is not one of them

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you got a spare few $,000 to spend on it?

If not, run away.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
The 2 things that come to my mind.
1) Bad sensor. Not a big deal, common for CPS to fail, inexpensive.
2) Bad rear tensionser. Big Deal. Usual tel tel is that you get a bad noise on morning startup. Expensive and hard to fix.

I would buy it if I could get it the vehicle, verify that the engine is dead cold, and could start it and listen to it. If it starts quickly and quietly from cold, you should have a sensor problem. If it makes noise... run run away. Engine needs 2K worth of work.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Nice clean V8s are readily available. Find one that has been properly maintained.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive found some others with great service records and have been taken care of But none have had a timing belt service done. The ones I found are all around the 90,000 mark. I thought if I could get them to come off the price a little to compensate for the cost of the belt service I might go that route.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Get a later V8 with the chain!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh trust me if I could afford a newer model I would. I did find a 05 with a 125,000 on it for 6 and it has been serviced and had the timing done at VW. The owner has all the papers to prove it so that might be a possibility.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The Touareg was an expensive car when new.

It doesn't get any cheaper to fix as it ages - just more likely to go wrong more often.

VWs are not bullet proof.

If a few thousand dollars for repairs would hit your family budget hard, please think again.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

It doesn't get any cheaper to fix as it ages - just more likely to go wrong more often.

If a few thousand dollars for repairs would hit your family budget hard, please think again.
Good advice right there. I looked at some that "needed work" for 1/2 the price that I eventually paid and it was well worth the money. And I still ended up sinking a bunch of cash into it after purchase anyway. Unfortunately, you can't go down to the local McParts store or U Pull It junkyard for parts all the time.

They are very nice vehicles, but unfortunately, like most things, if you want to play, you have to pay.

·
Registered
125 Posts

You have asked for advice here Slickwilly, and the best advice is right here from nooby.

These vehicles can be expensive to maintain when they age. In this case, why do you think the owner is selling? Because it needs $$$ invested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not saying that I'm looking for the perfect last for ever VW. trust me I know the cost of VW ownership I've owned 12 that I can think of and just bought two new ones last week. I appreciate the advice I'm just not familiar with the Touareg and I'm trying to learn what to look for before I take the plunge. I've found one with all the service records since new that I'm leaning towards. When did they go from a timing belt to a chain? I found an 07 with about 130 on but I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone to talk about it.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
2007 has a 350 HP V8 FSI with timing chain vs. 2004-2006 V8 with 310 HP and timing belt

1 - 20 of 31 Posts