Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read quite a bit about installing an iPod (here and on VWVortex). One of the main complaints is the noise if using the iPod with one of the lighter outlet chargers. Installing a noise filter probably isn't difficult (I know many of you have done it). But while looking at the new Crutchfiled catalog yesterday I saw a very small power inverter. That got me wondering if using the power inverter in a lighter socket and then plugging the iPod in with its AC adapter would eliminate the noise. I realize that this isn't as elegant a solution as what some others have done but it is simple. Would this work?

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Repowering the console plug with filtered and switched power is not difficult and takes care of nearly any whine you may have. I have done this in both of my Touaregs. Take power from a switched fuse location on passenger side fuse box, run it through a Radio Shack 270-051 10 amp noise filter and then run it to the plug. Of course, you have to terminate the hot wire of the plug properly.

Other noise info here: http://www.tm-techmark.com/touareg/radionoise.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my question is more about what is possible. When we use a power inverter in my wife's Odyssey with our laptop I never hear any whine through the computer (when playing a DVD for example). Could it be that the power inverter provides clean power?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.