Club Touareg Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
The Q7 had 164,000 km on it when it died..

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
From further research, it comes down to diesel quality, lubricity and fuel filter change frequency.

Diesel fuel quality, in a nutshell, only pump from stations with at least a 30 micron filter and water trap on pumps. If not, you run the risk of contamination your fuel system thus clogging up fuel filter. It only takes a 1-2 tablespoons of debris to clog filter thus starving HPFP to where it fails. I also carry an extra fuel filter with me on trips.

Lubricity. Biodiesel is the #1 best lubricity you can use. Whether you fill your tank with ULSH Diesel and add a liter or more of B100 or if you can find any Bio-diesel either in B5, B10 or B20, USE IT!!!! DISREGARD THE YELLOW STICKERS STATING YOU CANNOT USE BIO-DIESEL. MALARKY!!! The only reason for this is lack of quality and filtration with most Bio-diesel in the US and other parts, although VW allows B20 in the state of Illinois but no where else. Hmm... Also think about the Dieselgate issue. Are you going to really believe VW after the last two statements I made? ;) I don't!

If you decide to use it, go slowly as Bio-diesel is a fantastic solvent and will clean out your fuel system. So my suggestion, start when you are close to doing a filter change, run it, run it until tank is low put a filter in and run it more. You can alternate tanks with ULSH Diesel or mix with no issues.

Filter change frequency- Every oil change which should be between 8-10K miles. I prefer 8K miles. Cheap insurance. Mine are always clean and free of any debris. Nothing in bottom of canister either. Like new!

I have been running Bio-diesel in my T2 TDI (CATA) for it's entire life. Between B10-B99. I do not use it if I am doing mostly short trips. It has caused 0 issues with engine oil, fuel system, DPF emissions system or anything else for that matter. I have now 115K miles on my touareg with not a single issue to report. Small sample to make big claims but you can't knock it either.

My touareg runs smoother, quieter, stronger and my MPG is at it's best with a full tank of B99. I have not bothered to log MPG with Bio but when I do use it I do believe I get a few more MPG than with diesel. There is a bio-diesel expert in the State of Washington running B99 in a 10' Jetta TDI since new. I think he has logged 60K+ miles but not sure at this point. Zero issues, less regen's and the jetta just runs much better. He also stated the main failure of HPFP is clogged fuel filters and starvation of pump which causes it to heat up and blow up causing thousands in repairs. Now, of course there are part failures but I am fairly certain that 95% of the failures are due to one of the issues or all of the issues outlined above.

I don't believe it is a HPFP component issue but more so fuel quality, fuel filter change frequency and lubricity. Just my thoughts and experience that I wanted to share.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
https://drdansbiodiesel.com/2010/09/30/can-you-use-biodiesel-in-the-new-low-emission-diesel-vehicles/

"The latest “clean diesel” vehicles from VW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW are equipped with a number of sophisticated emissions control devices, including high-pressure common rail injection systems, NOx catalysts, urea injection, and/or a diesel particulate trap. Biodiesel CAN be used in these vehicles in high concentrations, including up to B99. However, it is not quite as simple as it was in the pre-2007 vehicles, and requires more forethought and planning. This is especially true in vehicles that use in-cylinder post-injection such as some 2009-up TDIs and late model Powerstrokes.

We have several customers that have been running B99 biodiesel in their brand new TDIs, Benzes, and Sprinters for tens of thousands of miles, with no trouble whatsoever. The key to their success has been in their driving patterns, which include mostly long-distance commuting and few short trips. For people who tend to use their cars for highway driving, biodiesel has worked great. For people whose routine includes mostly short-distance city driving and infrequent longer-distance highway use, using biodiesel may present some technical issues related to the more frequent DPF regen cycles necessary in cars that see lots of short trips. Our recommendation at this time is to stick to lower bio concentrations if this describes your use pattern."

More detailed information but much longer to watch, about 48 min lecture:

·
Registered
206 Posts
One more case from Scandinavia. A 2008 V6 TDI 176 kW, mileage roughly 166 000 km. (Not mine! I had my HPFP replaced to newer Bosch version as a precaution last summer, and don't regret it one bit... details earlier in this thread.)

The case in short: fault codes related to fuel system, engine does not start. The dealer diagnosed metal shreds in the fuel system. Dealer had replaced a new pump, but same issue - very soon after the exchange, fault codes returned and car won't start.

I'm 99,9% sure it's the original HPFP gone bad. Probably the whole fuel system needs to be rebuilt.

Once again, folks... If you have a T2 (2008-2009 years in particular) with CASA engine, get the HPFP replaced to a new version if you want to avoid a potential total fuel system rebuild, which is VERY costly! The price of the new HPFP is peanuts compared to the worst scenario.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good advice Naturist. Did u disassemble the old one to inspect innards by any chance? Cheers Sam.
Unfortunately not, so I can’t really say anything about the condition of my old pump... However, I also had the ”AB” version that has been evaluated as the most fault-prone version earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There haven't been any from VW or Bosch as they insist that it is a user problem with people misfuelling ( see conclusions in the PDF I attached). Sadly I think he truth is that this again is another example of the Repulsive Corporate Arrogance we have seen from this company in recent times. How could there ever be anything wrong with their Teutonic Engineering Perfection? I could only be caused by Dumb Ignorant Owners! Really ???!!!!

The whole conclusion is premised around water of petrol (gasoline) contaminated fuel. However this paper was based on data that is now between 3 to 6 years old. In the intervening period, cars have started to develop some quite "high" mileage (km) readings. As we have seen locally the first production units, based around MY2008 are now starting to go "BOOM", I wonder if we will see this also happen to MY2009 - MY2010 vehicles as they age to a similar point.

I don't claim to be expert in anything to do with this subject, however I believe it is reasonable to observe and draw conclusions.

Stuart....
Yes we will. Mine blew up 2 1/2 weeks ago with 136K miles on it. Replaced the entire system, now they can't get the car to run. Stating compression is low in one bank. Runs but runs rough and when they remove battery charger it dies. ??? WTF?

Me thinks, timing belt on HPFP was done wrong and threw off timing. Anyway, I have done everything to avoid this issue and now it finally happened (I never got to replacing it as a maintenance item, stupid me.) Now am I not only sitting here with no car after entire fuel system was replaced by VW but now I think they screwed up my motor in the process. Car is 837 miles from me too. It's been a total nightmare to deal with VW. I don't think they have expertise in this vehicle either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello. question for those ho have changed the hpfp, is everything running good now? I am thinking replacing my hpfp to. i have paheton 3.0 tdi cara engine from 2008. I am worried because i have pump 059 130 755 ab....and 150000 km. what do you know about 059 130 755 ah pump is it ok? Thank you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don’t know about the Phaeton/CARA engine, but the pump part number looks pretty much identical to the problematic version to me. I had it replaced two years ago and everything went fine, no issues. I definitely recommend replacing it before things start hitting the fan, as they say...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
SO im pretty guessing the CP3 cant be sort anymore if both Hedditch and Seafarer have both obtained CP4's ... is this right ?

Edit !!!

that should have been is it easy enough to throw a CP3 at a CASA motor ?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
New HPFP Fitted..Hopefully another 200,000 km's without needing to think about again.

VolksRepair charged me AU$ 2,300 for the job which was really good considering VW wanted AU$2,195 for the part alone, Job took just under the quoted time, so I an very happy with the result. Great shop, nice blokes to work with and I recommend them to any locals needing work.

We fitted a 059 130 755 BK pump which is one release back from the current 059 130 755 BS as the BS unit is nil stock in AU and would have needed to be shipped from Germany, with a 10 day delivery. I needed to truck back on the next week, so after bouncing it around amongst some of our fellow forum members, I went with Version N-1. Considering my original pump was 059 130 755 AB, which is I believe about N-10, I feel quite comfortable.

Regards
Stuart....

Stuart reading this previous post a while from a while ago im trying to follow through and do what you and Tony have done.

I am trying to understand the pump replaced. I recall you went with another CP4.... yet you mention 059 130 755 BK above BK being the pump you went with.

Is there somewhere you previously posted about the differences in the CP4 pump or this was private chate or camp grund banter ?

appreciate your insight

thank you

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yes we will. Mine blew up 2 1/2 weeks ago with 136K miles on it. Replaced the entire system, now they can't get the car to run. Stating compression is low in one bank. Runs but runs rough and when they remove battery charger it dies. ??? WTF?

Me thinks, timing belt on HPFP was done wrong and threw off timing. Anyway, I have done everything to avoid this issue and now it finally happened (I never got to replacing it as a maintenance item, stupid me.) Now am I not only sitting here with no car after entire fuel system was replaced by VW but now I think they screwed up my motor in the process. Car is 837 miles from me too. It's been a total nightmare to deal with VW. I don't think they have expertise in this vehicle either.

I know this is a very old thread, but cp4 does NOT need timed just FYI

What ever happened with this particular car, can you tell us how/if you got it fixed?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Stuart reading this previous post a while from a while ago im trying to follow through and do what you and Tony have done.

I am trying to understand the pump replaced. I recall you went with another CP4.... yet you mention 059 130 755 BK above BK being the pump you went with.

Is there somewhere you previously posted about the differences in the CP4 pump or this was private chate or camp grund banter ?

appreciate your insight

thank you
Hi Matt,
Firstly, you can't substitute the CP3 in place of the CP4, it's different pump with major differences and you can't migrate to that one.
The suffix letters after the part number normally just indicates the version of the same part, generally it's just an evolutionary migration due to "minor" changes, don't forget the original pump OEM fitted in 2008 is now 12 years old so there have been some changes over the years and the "BS" seems to be the latest version and is totally interchangeable with the original "BK".
If you are looking for a replacement pump I have one sitting on my shelf having only done 13.5K kms, which I'm looking to sell at a good price.
I purchased this pump new and had it fitted to my previous 7L for a few months prior to disposal, was removed prior to selling my previous Touareg.
Not needed any longer as my current '08 3.0 has a new pump fitted.

TonyB

Attachments

Reactions: alfissimo

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
thanks for confirming my doubts Tony ... way to many questions i was asking myself without the correct direction for conclusion

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I know this is a very old thread, but cp4 does NOT need timed just FYI

What ever happened with this particular car, can you tell us how/if you got it fixed?
Sure, Complete fuel system under warranty, new head and camshaft as it threw timing. I don't have much on specifics as the car was 1100 miles away at a dealer where it broke down.

They replaced the entire head, camshaft, etc... I have 10 pages of work order. Totaling around $33K dollars.

Since new pump, I have been running lubricant as to not have this issue again unless it is a design issue. Time will tell, but I will dump the car in the next 100K miles or less. Or sell back to VW for $18,000 which they have offered me.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Holy Jesus, glad you got it covered! Thank you for the update.
Safe travels!

141 - 158 of 158 Posts