Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 V8 Touareg has been sitting a bit lately, so when I went to start it today, no go. Decided to put a new battery in, as the current one was an unknown quantity (car was a recent purchase).

Long story short, after installing a new 110Ah OEM VW battery (000-915-105-DL-DSP), I was VERY surprised to find that the positive cable would no longer reach (about 1" too short now)!

The new "DL" battery is bigger than the AC Delco I took out, but this new battery is supposed to be the correct battery for this car.

My positive cable (part #7L0-971-225-H) shows for "JOL" (70AH), "JOR" (80Ah) & "J1U" (95Ah) which are the smaller batteries.

The alternate positive cable listed in ETKA (part #7L0-971-225) shows for "JOZ" (110Ah) & "J2C" (85Ah & 110Ah). Is this cable slightly longer to accommodate the larger battery? Is this the cable that came on the V10s?

Does any V10 owner know the part number of their positive cable (or have a spare handy to check)?

I'm dead in the water. Anybody seen this before? I have been searching without any luck.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I literally just changed my battery about an hour ago. Did you make sure when you set the battery in the box you first slid it backwards towards the rear and then slide it forward to lock it under the plastic holder? If you take the battery out you'll see a hold down in the front bottom (steering wheel side) that the bottom lip of the battery slides under.

I'll say that the battery cable is pretty exact; but there is a little leeway. Can you take a picture of your scenario for us to see?

FYI I used a Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group Size H8/L5/49 , PepBoys has a 25% off deal going with "PEP25BATT".

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is installed correctly. It was a bear to get in, because it is so large and I had to horse it around to get it under that front lip to lock it in place. All brackets are correctly attached and the cable it just too short.

No Pep Boys locations in Oregon or I would consider the Bosch you just installed.

I think the solution will be the 7L0-971-225 cable, which I have confirmed is the proper application for the V10 cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is properly installed (it is so big, it wouldn't seat if it wasn't in the proper location). See below.

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Man that's a tough situation! I must admit I would venture out and go with another Group 49 from another business; like Sears, auto zone, pretty much any other place.

Unless by chance your local VW happens to have the cable handy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I ended up ordering the "alternate" positive cable (7L0-971-225) this morning. I'll update when I receive it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Successful resolution

I received the 7L0-971-225 cable yesterday and measured its length versus the standard 7L0-971-225-H cable. See photo below.

7L0-971-225-H is roughly 10.25" in length (on top in picture)

7L0-971-225 is roughly 12.5" in length (on bottom)

The extra 2.0" is absolutely needed to install the largest DL-DSP battery, so get the "no suffix" positive cable if you plan to run it.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That's interesting as the suffix letter normally indicates that the part [which hitherto I always understood started off with no suffix] has been upgraded, altered or has a new supplier.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you got it sorted out. Leave it to the Germans to have TWO different battery cable lengths. Ford or GM would just tell you to stuff the extra length over the top of the battery.
Yes, a very germanic solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
De dom de de de de dum
Dom de dum dau dum...
decontenting is the thing we do.
LOL.

VW really did put in a smaller factory battery in some Touaregs and made it so the cable would not reach the larger full sized battery that was found in other Touaregs!

Sometimes I really don't understand the Germans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts