Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi again, few month ago i started to plan to remove secondary cats and put straight pipe instead, i read almost every thread about it so i had an idea of what i wanted to do, but unfortunately the reality is a bit different here, :( there are no shops you can go and buy this kind of straight or resonated pipes so i had to order them from abroad (US or EU) but its very expensive and i had to pay almost same price for shipping them here so it was not worth it :(. so i started to look for different solutions to get the ''same'' results, so here is what i did :)
we cut the secondary cats open and took all the guts out, there is quite a lot of metal in there so you have to slowly take it out :) and then we welded the cat case back together. here are some photos and before and after video :) here is BEFORE
and here is AFTER :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Hi, nikoloz.
What happened to your secondary cat? Is it out of order? I remember you condemned here higher age profile owners in your country for driving without new cats. ;-)
A newbie question: is there a possibility now for condensate to accumulate inside that empty space?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi :) no nothing was wrong with the cats, Ijust wanted to make it breathe and sound better :) Yes unfortunately there is no control of emissions in Georgia and lot of people are getting rid of the primary catalytic converters as soon as they fail and yes that makes me angry as the O2 is very contaminated in Tbilisi, but As Touareg's secondary cats are not effecting the exhaust quality I decided to have it removed and have nicer rumbling sound :) so far am very pleased

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Droog .... performance differences .... notice anything ????

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Droog .... performance differences .... notice anything ????
:) to be honest I thought i noticed The difference in power but i think its What my mind wants to see and feel :) i think it must be around 15-20 hp gain but we need to test before and after on the dyno :) I noticed In cold Morning Visible Exhaust gases are more actively released then before :)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
:) to be honest I thought i noticed The difference in power but i think its What my mind wants to see and feel :) i think it must be around 15-20 hp gain but we need to test before and after on the dyno :) I noticed In cold Morning Visible Exhaust gases are more actively released then before :)
Although I've never seen a Dyno graph, the company that made my bypass pips (Leisting) claims a 15 HP increase without the secondary cats.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts
Nikoloz.

Wow. It seems like cutting out the cat and welding in a new piece of pipe would have been faster.

I can't believe you had that system cut wide open and did not photograph or replace this vital exhaust component. What a wasted opportunity. :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you got rid of the rear muffler completely or you put something new? Could you upload a video please:)
Yes I removed the whole silencer which weighed 25kg. I'll take a video later and try and upload it.
Driving normally its sounds quiet and not loud inside the vehicle. When you press the loud pedal it sounds awesome with that nice v8 rasp and still not crazy loud.I have kids so in don't want it loud inside the cabin.

I reused the original tail pipes also. I was n a bit of a hurry so its not quite right yet so I'm going to recut it and replace it.as in reset the angles I meant .
I'm going to add a couple swept joints where the new pipes meets the original pipes to make it a better flowing curve. also ill get a plate cut like a sliding plate to weld onto the rear pipes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi :) no nothing was wrong with the cats, Ijust wanted to make it breathe and sound better :) Yes unfortunately there is no control of emissions in Georgia and lot of people are getting rid of the primary catalytic converters as soon as they fail and yes that makes me angry as the O2 is very contaminated in Tbilisi, but As Touareg's secondary cats are not effecting the exhaust quality I decided to have it removed and have nicer rumbling sound :) so far am very pleased
Touareg's secondary cats are not effecting the exhaust quality ?Then what is the function of the second cats?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't we have secondary air pumps on our regs? I thought that was directed into the exhaust some how and lowers the parts per million of noxious gasses. The second cats are just there to act as a silencer whereas the first bank cleans emissions I assume.

I'm just an engineer with wild ideas who knows what wizardry goes on under our hoods hahaha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.