Club Touareg Forum banner

if ARB will make front and rear diff locks for Touareg/Cayenne are you interested?

• YES

• NO

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aftermarket big name ARB is interested making it if you are interested :)
I'm in contact with them and they to need too see numbers, how many potential buyers they have... so if you are interested please say YES in poll below,
price per locking diff as ARB says will be no difference from their product so its between 800-1000$
if you have any questions please ask.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brilliant idea. I was hoping to get a V10 with all 3 diff locks, but ended up with a 2008 R50 in excellent condition, but no front or rear diff locks. I was considering looking into whether diff locks from wrecked models could be fitted to the R50 and connected upto the existing wiring etc.
I was planning on using the R50 as a touring and off road vehicle (not really NUTS stuff) after changing down from the 21 inch to 18 inch rims with suitable off road tyres. However, I have come to really love how this vehicle travels and am not sure I want to go down that road so to speak. However, at least a rear locker would be a plus for certain applications.
It would be really good if the existing switch control setup could be used instead of separate switching mounted under the dash or whatever.
So I am very enthusiastic with the only limitation being possibly the cost, which if as per your rough estimate of $800 to $1000 I would be a purchaser.
Please keep us informed on progress re this possibility.
Yes you can use OEM lockable rear differential from other touareg, BUT, you have to be very very carful with gear ratios as there are 5 different gear ratios on touaregs and Cayennes so if you will need help contact me and I’ll try my best to help you ?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that info. I have no idea what my ratios are for the R50 or how to find out.
It is just an idea possibly dependent on cost and the future absence of Covid-19.
Your thought about ARB lockers caught my attention as it maybe a simpler solution?
Whatever, I do have an interest later this year looking into at least a rear locker.
Thank you for the offer of help. Greatly appreciated. Stay safe until this bloody crisis is over.
Cheers.
Your welcome ? oem rear diff is very rare but it can be found time to time, i can help you with gear ratios and all details regarding ratios you need to know, you can contact me on Facebook Nikoloz Gelashvili

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would be even better if we could lock the center without having to be in low range. I'm guessing this has been discussed before though?

Btw, nikoloz, it sounds like you've had experience retrofitting a rear diff locker or am I wrong?
Well if you take touareg 2003-2010 as far as I know even without engagement of the center diff its transferring power 50-50 on the front and rear diff, but because car electronics can interfere ESP is managing power distribution depending on traction, even if you will lock center if you have opened diffs you always will have problem putting the power down if one wheel will loose traction, and no i have never retrofitted rear diff on my touareg, it came with the rear diff from the factory ?. With best gear ratios 4,55 ?????

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey nikoloz, did ARB give you any idea about how many potential buyers we need to make this happen?
Hi :) at the moment everything is paused cause of this virus problem, most likely ARB will ask many many orders to make it profitable, but im already in the process of information exchange with few other big names so im trying my best to make it all happened, especially with rear diff as it can get more interest from owners and off course front diff as its my personal goal :)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Great ! If there's anything I can do, would be happy to help out
thank you mate, i appreciate you help. if i will need anything i will post it here, hope this virus problem will end soon and all services will go back to normal, stay safe mate, regards, Nikoloz

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I wonder Nikoloz with global demand for almost everything (except for toilet paper :LOL::LOL:) including car sales and i assume car parts ...... I wonder how long before ARB starts to hurt and then to consider such a request.

I recall in the early 90's when ARB were young their attitudes were really different.

I wonder ?? ......................
😂😂😂 glad you said that cause everyone will hunt for any orders and company income, an if they call me im gonna tell them bad news that they are late, cause there was a company witch is not as arrogant as ARB and they already made few steps towards us :) im so hopeful that they will be make product that we want so much 😂🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
All the cases look the same in pictures. Are they? I do not believe that VAG sells any internal parts for the differentials. If they go bad, you replace the entire unit so no one opens them up, and we have no idea of the interchangeability of the parts.

Without more proof that internals can be swapped, I am not going to drop ~$1000 and days of taking my car apart to find out they can't.
from the outside diffs look 100% same, only drive shaft flange diameter is different, there are 3 different sizes, but the problem is that you have to know exactly what you are looking for, there are 3 letter codes on casting from the outside and those codes give you all the info you need, but you also need documents to read first.
yes VAG tells us that the unit is sealed for life and major parts are not available only seals and axle shafts and few other things, i have so far opened up 2 diffs with 4.1 and 4.55 gear ratios and everything inside was interchangeable, ring and pinion, axles....
you mentioned that you need more proof...... im sorry mate i dont really like grumbling, but i have bought the diff only for this purpose to get this measurements, i have spent my own money and i have spent lot of my time to get at this point with help of many other clever forum members with documents and many other stuff i need to know so i could speak to ARB or Harrop or any other company and literally begging them to make diff lock for Touareg and cayenne,
and now you need more proof... sorry mate i dont have sponsor to buy all versions of diffs only to proof you that they are all the same inside and you can swap anything that you want, i already did my research that satisfies me and gives me confidence that i can go with this, so if you need more proof do your own research mate :)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I'd love to have this. I have a 2004 v8 with mid and rear locker
I will have lot more info on this in next week and will share it with all of you guys :) all i can say now is that we have never been so close to the real thing and its 99% done, will post in next week with photos 😁😜

1 - 20 of 22 Posts