Club Touareg Forum banner

How much do you care about the VW emissions scandal?

• I could not care less. I love my TDI and will die with my TDI

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • I really don't care. I sort of keep an eye out for news but don't really care much.

Votes: 37 50.7%
  • I'm sort of worried, I mean, I care about the environment and the air.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I care and will do what VW and the EPA wants me to do. I want to do the right thing all the time.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • It is important. I bought the TDI because it is clean and I feel wronged.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • It has consumed my life. I read and get as much information about it as I possibly can. VW TDI is

Votes: 1 1.4%

(POLL) How much do you care about the emissions scandal?

6K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  chrisw 
#1 ·
How much do you care about the emissions scandal?

#2 ·
I love my TDI, bought it for its diesel power and being emission friendly, infatuated with this living history lesson.

Not sure which is the closest fit?

#3 ·
I would like to say dont care much at all. However, despite being a vw fan and customer for decades, don't feel right about the company being dishonest.
They should pay heavily for it and move on to build integrity and bring superiority to customers via tdi's hybrids etc etc
Someone made a fair point so whats worse ....toyota knowingly, directly or indirectly, selling thousands of hilux's and parts to ISIS or ...? If it was all about ethics and not $$ they could stop selling to those markets..

Reactions: mpm T2 TDI
#4 ·
Someone made a fair point so whats worse ....toyota knowingly, directly or indirectly, selling thousands of hilux's and parts to ISIS or ...? If it was all about ethics and not $$ they could stop selling to those markets..
X2

#7 ·
Its would be hard to say until the actual numbers are out

The actual damage to the environment caused by the emission rigging software looks like its hard for any research agency to quantify. We know 11 million vehicles were affected, and largely Nitrogen Oxide levels emitted were anywhere from 10 to 40 times higher than standards allow. We don't know how much excess Nitrogen Oxide was released because we don't know how many miles were driven on each engine or at what rate the pollutant was converted to Nitrogen Dioxide.

Nitrogen Dioxide is known to cause human health problems such as asthma, bronchitis and emphysema. Could you imagine working in a poorly ventilated garage on one of the cars while they were running?

The real upsetting part is the engines can be fixed or replaced, the fines can be levied, but the damage cannot be undone.

#10 ·
I cared enough to look up EPA standards for Tier 1 and Tier 2 passenger car standards to see how much the new standards ratcheted down in 2008. I cared enough to research how much NOx is contributed by passenger cars and what the impact of NOx is in our environment.

My biggest disappointments are the corporate culture/pressure at VW that drives engineers to resort to bypass software and the EPA with their sensationalist "up to X times federal standards" press releases. Tell me what the average emissions exceedance is and I'll form a better decision as to whether I care.

#11 ·
Perhaps another poll should ask the question who made a decision to buy a touareg or a vw based on the emissions declared on the brochure

#13 ·
When the specs on the original diesel V10 Touareg came out, I so wanted one. But couldn't afford it at the time. When the V6 TDI showed up, it was time to shop for a loaded copy. First one was a black one with Chris (RIP), but his sales manager was such a douche, just walked out...

Second one was on NJ, and the sales guy showed me a YouTube of someone showing how clean it was by sucking one the tail pipe while running. While it was odd, it was also cool to think how advanced these TDIs were. Crazy torque/hp specs, great milage and range, and they are cleaner than gassers.

Long story short, bought based on TDI specs, clean diesel - as demonstrated on the video and echoed in the brochures - was an added benefit. And one I've told easily a hundred people about.

Btw, I chose the last choice, but this drama hasn't consumed my life, its more of a fun diversion from the day-to-day. And while I really enjoy my TDI, I do not live for my TDI...

#14 ·
Btw, I chose the last choice, but this drama hasn't consumed my life, its more of a fun diversion from the day-to-day. And while I really enjoy my TDI, I do not live for my TDI...

My thoughts, too. Enjoying the banter...fun diversion. I've learned a ton of info on this forum.

I came from a V8 T1. It was a gas pig so the TDI was a great replacement. The fact it is (was) 'clean diesel' was a bonus but I did not buy it to be green. I bought it because it's a great ride, looks cool, gets great mileage and is affordable relative to its German peers.

I do care about the scandal and its outcome. Many lessons to be learned and many wrongs to be righted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I bought the Touareg TDI for towing, and the fuel economy compared to my previous vehicle. As long as I can drive it the way it is, and it remains trouble free, I don't care about emissions, or resale value either.

Guys who deliberately tune their diesel trucks to blow black smoke emit more pollutants than my Touareg any day.

#16 ·
I didn't see it on the list of poll choices, but I would have voted if there was a choice that read something like:

"It is important. I bought the TDI because of its peerless combination of build quality, torque, fuel efficiency and value -- clean Diesel is gravy on top. I am concerned how the scandal has impaired the VW Group's reputation and the value of my TDI."

Reactions: nickm and fincher
#17 ·
I didn't see it on the list of poll choices, but I would have voted if there was a choice that read something like:

"It is important. I bought the TDI because of its peerless combination of build quality, torque, fuel efficiency and value -- clean Diesel is gravy on top. I am concerned how the scandal has impaired the VW Group's reputation and the value of my TDI."
^^^ THIS X10

#19 ·
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves on the V6 TDI and any negative things reflashes may bring, lets recall that VW is disputing the EPA claim on the engine, and its not part of a cheat software scandal. Completely different issue v the 2.0tdi.

Reactions: fincher
#20 ·
X2/Ditto. Too much panic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.