Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find anything in a search of the DIY forum so I thought I'd add this for anyone who wants so clean up the look of the rear tips. Simply washing them does not remove the road grime, oxidation and exhaust residue which builds up over time. Only metal polish can really clean it thoroughly. I was surprised to learn many people don't know how to do this. The previous owner of my Treg apparently never bothered to clean, let alone polish them.

This is a relatively easy task, requiring only a rag, metal polish and elbow grease (lots of it for the tough spots.)

First; buy a can of metal polish, being careful to choose one suitable for Chrome. Some specifically say on the container "not for use on chrome." I found this one, but there are lots available at your local automotive store:

Apply some of the polish to the surface. (I let it sit for a minute just to work itself into the grime.)

Use a clean spot on the rag and rub it in, then polish it off with another clean area of the rag. You'll notice the rag turns black very quickly. It may require a few applications to completely bring out the shine but it eventually does result in a mirror finish. I found the really dirty spots required several applications, with liberal amounts of rubbing, sometimes scraping with a fingernail. Repeat as necessary to polish all areas of the tips.

Before:

After:

I'll eventually go back and clean up the inner lip of the tip, which has heavy exhaust residue build-up.

The observant folks probably noticed the stainless steel pipe from the muffler to the tip also cleaned-up pretty well. A few more applications of the polish would have given it more shine but I was out of time. This will suffice for now... It's not good as new, but it's far better than it was before. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Rails

You think this would work on the oxidation on the silver roof rails?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If they are bare metal; yes. If they have any kind of painted finish; no.

I believe the newer Tregs with roof rails like yours have a clearcoat or silver painted finish. I just looked at an '09 when I was at the dealer yesterday. The rails looked and felt painted.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Also, many folks on here have recommended using Bar Keepers Friend on the exhaust for quite some time. I don't know how it differs from the Blue Magic stuff you've posted, but it is another option many folks have used with seemingly good results, especially on the big muffler under the bumper.

Matt

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I also use blue magic...works very well on my tips. The reside on the insides is heavy and I haven't had the patience to rub that out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rails you are talking about will probably clean up with baby oil or mineral oil for about a week, seems like the same "cloudy" issue the trim on my passat has.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chris- Thanks for the overview of polishing the exhaust tips. I too used the Blue Magic polish which works well. It takes a little time and effort, but both the inside and outside look good. I would say if you spent 15-20 min on each side you would be pleased with the results.

Rich

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use a Product called Wizards Metal Polish -- its a pink like cotton candy even smells like bubble gum. . . One little peice should get both pipes...and then use a Baby Diaper...to polish... I also have that same trim problem and I don't think the Wizards worked that well . .. seems once the spots have developed they are there to stick around... in the areas there was no water damage? I brought the chrome back up really nice looking...

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
A clean diaper I hope?

·
Banned
2,818 Posts
:razz::razz::razz::razz:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tailpipe cleanup

I have just bought a V8 2004 Treg with one lady owner, the tailpipes were ditched! I nicked my misses oven cleaner (when she wasnt lookin) sprayed it on waited 3 minutes and washed it off to reveal 2 beautiful chrome tailpipes well with a bit of a tinge, but a quick polish with solvol autosol and Bob's your uncle, "Megga":cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts