Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched all over and can't find good pics of a custom stereo on a Touareg!!! WTF doesn't anyone upgrade their factory stuff??? I want to put a custom box into the back "trunk" quarter panel and was curious if anyone has tried this or has seen it done.

Please post your pics if you have something good to share....

Thanx,

:)

·
Super Moderator
9,433 Posts
Most of us have been there done that with other vehicals and are now over it. I like nice stereos, but I don't live in my car anymore like I used to, so the factory unit is fine by me and no big box to take up precious space in the rear anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
factory is nice.....but

I was thinking along the lines of this...

If you are going to install a NAV you might as well upgrade the whole system.

-24keoni :D

·
Registered
839 Posts
Now, this is a plain and simply an example of having too much free time and expendable income! Nice work though . . .

xtant666's 2004 Volkswagen Touareg - MOAPA, NV.

Probably just shows my age but, though we didn't have the electronics options and no one had even invented subwoofers "back in the old days", I would of and did carve up my 67 Chevy with a custom sound system that served its purpose at the time.

Can't imagine doing that on a $50K+ brand new Touareg though especially when the factory Dynaudio sounds so amazing as is. I really don't think a subwoofer or two would improve the sound of it. Louder? Yes. Hear that base drum beat coming 2 blocks away? Yes. Sound better inside the vehicle? I doubt it.

Now, get off my lawn! Damn kids anyway . . . :evil_laugh:

signed,
officially old fart . . .

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the side-firing woofer. Not really sure if I like a sub 'just chilling' in a side cavity of my Treg. I like to be able to remove the sub if needed. I have an Alpine Type R 12" installed, with an Alpine MRP500 amp underneath the seat. Very easy and mostly clean install. The sub doesn't take up a ton of cargo space, and I've always felt that subs sound WAY better when the sub is faced towards the rear of the car(rear firing), than on the side.

Also, for what it's worth, installing an aftermarket head unit made a night and day difference. The stock unit - let's be honest here - sucks. You cant really get much more than a CD player out of it. There's way more options with an aftermarket system, especially if you like to tweak all the sound curves, etc.

canon_mutant, it makes your music 'deeper' and 'warmer'. You'd be impressed how much more you get out of your music.

Here's some pics of how I roll. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
the new rns510 sounds fine. it could definitely use more bass though. does it need a 12"? probably not. an 8 or 10 would be fine though i know a 12 serves a certain purpose you can get from an 8 or 10. but i'd never stick a box in the back to get it. i like my trunk room so i'd go for a custom install as well.

·
Registered
839 Posts
the new rns510 sounds fine. QUOTE]

+1 - also manipulating the audio settings actually works believe it or not and I tend to run the fader so the cross hairs are right at the front of the rear seats. Seems to sound the best there to me.

It may well have a lot to do with what kind of music you listen to?

Perhaps other genres don't sound as good but I think my Dynaudio system sounds great listening to Classic Rock and Blues and am quite particular about sound quality.

Are there better sounding systems? Certainly.

The RNS510 Dynaudio sucks? That's a bit strong.

Put in Styx Greatest Hits, the one actually produced by Dennis Deyoung from 1995 [since there are some crappy bootlegs] and crank the first tune, Lady, up to about 3/4 volume, sit back and "feel the music". Just one example. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help! Setting up a custom head unit on my 04 Touareg

So I bought the follow head unit for my VW eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices.

The wire harness they gave me that is suppose to fit the Touareg does not work with it since I have an 11 speaker system. I guess I need some premium harness that works with navigation and the 11 speakers.

Has anyone had this problem, or know anyone the could assist.

Thanks

Freaking out!

·
Registered
88 Posts
from reading a few other threads about updating the Nav units on a 2004, I believe that you need some special converters to use your factory amplifier and get sound out of you speakers. If not, you have to rewire the speakers directly to the radio. I am no expert on this, just from reading how to install a RNS 510 in my 2004, this is an issue for the early models...

Who actually manufactured the unit you got?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is from a OEM company that make original equipment for the VW, AUDI, and Porsche. I believe this is some version of the new 2011 stereo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts