Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Touareg V8.

The rear back door latch sensor is faulty and is drawing on my battery every night, thus draining the battery, nightly.

The quote from VW was $650: $300 for the latch/sensor and $350 for labor to get in and out of the door. (rear passenger door)

I have been jump-starting my car each morning using a battery-booster-charge-pack. I am very aware that this is damaging my battery, and will only shorten the life of the battery, but $650 on a wee door latch makes me cringe.

Has anyone ever dealt with this issue, or have any suggestions?

My possible alternate solutions:

1. Find a mechanic who can disable the sensor, all together. This would ultimately lead my rear passenger door to be locked at all times, but perhaps I could learn to deal(?).

2. Visit a salvage yard and find a '04 Touareg rear passenger door latch. Pull my ow parts!? Maybe I can pay a mechanic to come with me to the salvage yard with his tools and pull the part. (But the labor to get in and out of the door is apparently a pain, reason for the hefty price tag)

3. Get a new door. From a salvage yard.

4. Pay $650 to VW (or perhaps a bit cheaper from a smaller shop) and bite the bullet.

5. Pay $650 to VW + $250.00 for a new battery b/c I waited too long before fixing the problem.

Please help!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
If you continue jump starting the car every morning you may be damaging something more expencive that the battery. So better stop doing it.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I have a 2004 Touareg V8.

The rear back door latch sensor is faulty and is drawing on my battery every night, thus draining the battery, nightly.

The quote from VW was $650: $300 for the latch/sensor and $350 for labor to get in and out of the door. (rear passenger door)

I have been jump-starting my car each morning using a battery-booster-charge-pack. I am very aware that this is damaging my battery, and will only shorten the life of the battery, but $650 on a wee door latch makes me cringe.

Has anyone ever dealt with this issue, or have any suggestions?

My possible alternate solutions:

1. Find a mechanic who can disable the sensor, all together. This would ultimately lead my rear passenger door to be locked at all times, but perhaps I could learn to deal(?).

2. Visit a salvage yard and find a '04 Touareg rear passenger door latch. Pull my ow parts!? Maybe I can pay a mechanic to come with me to the salvage yard with his tools and pull the part. (But the labor to get in and out of the door is apparently a pain, reason for the hefty price tag)

3. Get a new door. From a salvage yard.

4. Pay $650 to VW (or perhaps a bit cheaper from a smaller shop) and bite the bullet.

5. Pay $650 to VW + $250.00 for a new battery b/c I waited too long before fixing the problem.

Please help!
Your VW dealer has guaranteed it is your latch sensor?
Others have had issues with the Kessy module failing and this also causes the battery to go flat.(this can be a cheap fix)

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
if you bypass the rear door switch and try to op[en it the motor that tries to open the door will keep on trying (don't know how long).

Best is to get the part from fleabay and get an independant mechanic to swap the thing.

And get a new battery.

In the meantime buy an intelligent charger and hook it up to charge overnight.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It can be done

There is one of these on eBay right now:
Rear Door Lock Actuator VW Touareg 04 05 06 07 2004 2005 2006 2007 Right RH | eBay

But these are a bear to replace. There are two bolts that hold it through the door frame, and the rear supports are riveted to the internal frame cover. It is a major door disassembly - but it can be done.

Remove the door panel by removing the screws along the lower edge underneath the door, then popping it out and lifting up off the window channel - unplugging all the wires and such. Then drill out several rivets and remove the screws that hold the interior metal cover in place. Check around the edge of the door, there are some plastic caps that cover the bolts to the internal door frame. Undo these and drill out the rivets on the lock mechanism. Then the whole door interior lifts out - window frame, regulator, glass and everything; but watch for wires that are still connected. From there you'll have perfect access to the lock mechanism.

Take pictures as you go for reference, take your time, and you can accomplish this. It's a long process and may take a couple of hours - that's why the labor is so high. You'll also need a pop-rivet gun when you go to put everything back together. Check any good auto supply - and you'll need an assortment of rivets, including some pretty long ones and some pretty small ones. I bought an assortment at Pep-Boys that had all the sizes I needed.

OR you can reach in there and unplug the wiring harness for the lock and leave it alone. Make the rear passengers climb in behind the driver and slide over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.