Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys !

I am new to Volks and Touareg but I know the reliability and prestige these vehicles have. I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now. I am sure buying one of these two Touaregs and want your input and tips on them. They both have the same mileage but are not the same year and trim.

The first one is a 2010 Touareg TDI Comfortline with 6 Speed AT and Sport mode. It is painted white and looks awesome. It has 174 000 KM (108 000 miles). It's on 20 inches wheels. No check engine lights on, brakes are new, air filters, glow plugs, fuel filter, serpentine belt are new. Alot of maintenance has been done on it. I've road tested it today and runs so smoothly, i was at 150 KM\h and was feeling absolutely no noise, nothing at all, floating on a cloud. I'm joining pictures of it. Selling it for 15 000 Canadian pesos !

The second one is a 2011 Touareg TDI Execline with 8 Speed AT, it is painted black and looks awesome too ! It has 170 000 KM ( 105 000 miles ). I think it's on 18 inches wheels. Like the other one, it's in pretty good condition. Also selling for 15 000 Canadian pesos. Pictures also joined

Personnaly, I'd go with the 2010. It has less electronic stuff compared to the 2011 and i'm the kind of guy who thinks the less is the best. Less electronic stuff, less stuff will break. On the counterpart, my wife also has her word to say and she prefer the 2011 black one. I like them both but have a little something more for the white one.

I have some questions:
1) Hows the 8 Speed Transmission ? really improve the mileage vs the 6 Speed AT ? Is it reliable ? I don't really care the number of speeds. My main focus is RELIABILITY.
2) The 2011 Engine vs 2010 ?
3) Difference in mileage with both ?
4) Global reliability of 2010 vs 2011 ?
5) The difference between Touareg 1 and Touareg 2... I don't get it...
6) These vehicles are Touareg 1 or 2 ans how to know ?
7) How can I know with the VIN, where's it has been built ? Germany or Mexico or Slovakia ?
8) Is there anything wrong with these years that I should be aware of ?
9) For the same price should I go with the 2011 ?

I love them both, I know the 2011 is slightly larger and weighs less than the 2010. Just wanted to know if there was some stuff that was more likely to break on both vehicles.

Thanks alot for you're help !

Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm also looking at a 2011 Lux, So I'll be interested in feedback as well.
The current dd is a 2011 x five that has 165K miles. I was going to run it into the ground, until the Toaureg surfaced.
Aditionally,I just had a $1200 bill for replacing the EGR which is embedded in the valve cover of the x five,ugh! That,in addition to idler/tensioner/belt pulley(s) replacement recently, has me focused downstream of the X5. These issues are really the only two major hiccups since 30 K miles on the x five so I'm probably I had a game in terms of total cost of [email protected] mi.
Part of me wants to keep flogging the old girl, and part of me wants to jump into this low mi. TDI.

Will be looking fwd to you responses ,thanks.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
One important thing you have not mentioned is the date and milage that the TDI fix was applied to them. Look into that as that's very important.

The 2010 will have running gear that's more suitable for offloading. Does it have steel suspension or air suspension? It should have a 2 speed transfer case, and it may have a rear locker. This is only relevant if you plan on venturing offroad a lot, which very few people do.

Engine wise, they will be the same thing. They will also both be made in Slovakia... they all are.

The 8spd gearbox will for sure improve your economy, but I don't have any figures for you. Check out fuelly.com and see what people are getting in each one for an idea.

20s vs 18s all depends on what you're after. The 20s look better and provide crisper handling, but the tires cost more. The 18s are the "go to" size for winter setup, and most of us run them in our winter package (I run 20s all year and 18s in winter)

If you know more about the 2010's service and maintenance history, I'd be inclined to give that one an advantage. If you tow or intend to do so, I'd pick the one that already has a factory tow package. If there are certain features that you value more than others, you may need to look at those (LED lights, GPS, folding mirrors, heated rear seats, etc)

Depending on the trims, there may be significant differences in the "equipment" packages. (dual zone vs quad zone HVAC, etc)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
It would seem that you're potentially looking at about a ~10% difference in efficiency between the two gearboxes.
If you drive mostly HWY, you can expect slightly better averages.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"One important thing you have not mentioned is the date and milage that the TDI fix was applied to them. Look into that as that's very important."

Don't mean to hijack the op's thread, but if the 2011 Tourag (36K mi.) has a cpo warranty,why is this important ?

Also ,I've read that diesel fuel additive should be used regularly for the livelihood of the fuel pump.Is this correct?Thanks

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the op's thread, but if the 2011 Tourag (36K mi.) has a cpo warranty,why is this important ?

Also ,I've read that diesel fuel additive should be used regularly for the livelihood of the fuel pump.Is this correct?Thanks
Because of the extended warranty (pg 8). Your CPO will not cover everything that the fix warranty will, or for as long.

Yes, it is highly recommended that a lubricity additive is used to prolong the HPFP longevity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
TurboA ,
Aaah, Much appreciated.
The Dealer has not performed the emissions fix yet, so the warranty clock is not yet ticking. So,it looks like the Dealers game is to present it as a CPO vehicle to get the higher Sales $$$, knowing that the emissions warranty will most likely cover most issues in a 36K mi. vehicle,I hope.Clever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts