Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One advantage of riding dirtbikes over quads, much lighter, especially compared to the full racked utility quad beasts. But I can barely carry a backpack when I ride, and certainly not a deer! The PeeWee dirt bikes (50's & 65's) are much lighter also, I could see a couple of those on there for a fun weekend. That could be a fun camper, but I'd almost want an HD truck since that load with a big quad is so close to the truck. It would be good for a 3500 van, 2500 Excursion or 2500 Suburban, they could handle that easily even with a big quad. I'm fighting to reduce tongue weight. What is your single axle and tires rated at, would the quad max that out especially full water?

The Toy Haulers with the inside garages and dual or triple axles are really built to handle the weight of the bigger toys without huge variances on the tongue and the toy weight right over the axles. But those are way heavier than even my travel trailer. They aren't very comfortable on the inside until you get to the big ones. Everything is a compromise, do what makes you happy! And gets you and yours all the way there and back safely! Summer's coming!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
FLA batteries are perfectly fine inside, isint your starter battery under the seat? At the low discharge/charge rates most campers see, there is virtually no risk.. now if you hook a big red shop charger up to perform a high voltage equalization at the start of the season, you should open up the camper.. but chances are you already have just to hook it up.. AGM's are terrible house batteries for campers, dont fall for that marketing BS.

Europe didnt outlaw WD hitches, they just have no need for them because of different load regulations.. the reason they have lower tongue ratings in EU is because they have very low maximum speeds for towing.. you can get away with 5% on the tongue in the UK when your max speed is 60mph on some roads, and 50mph on most others.. do 50mph out in western US and you'll get pushed off into the ditch by the big rigs passing you 35mph faster..

Weight Distribution gives you no extra tow capacity on this vehicle, unlike a 3/4ton truck with huge payload capacity you will not find separate towing ratings for With a WD and Without a WD.. the weight on the tongue stays the same, your just changing how that weight is distributed to the wheels.. so effectively you just lowered your tongue capacity by the weight of the hitch.

Just put some friction anti-sway if you feel you need it.. OEM is not taking the easy way out, they are simply not designed for this.. I've seen someone hook an airstream up to a Q5 w/a WD hitch, then procced to have the hitch ripped off going over a speed bump at 2mph in a parking lot.. YMMV, but I'd personally advise against use of WD on vehicles that dont specifically list higher ratings with its use.
Hopefully the battery under the seat in the cabin is vented to the outside, but good point. If I did all the trouble to move the battery inside, I'd want Lithium's and a solar panel and an inverter anyway.

I am considering a straight ball mount with the 2 5/16ths ball to save weight and keep the ball close to bumper for natural sway control (being close to axle, side to side movement tries to move axle/tires instead of a long lever against whole vehicle). The WD hitch is very heavy (~80lbs) plus the 2 steel spring bars and chains. I considered the ProPride, but it is even so much heavier than the normal EAZLift WD. I'll be testing it, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hopefully the battery under the seat in the cabin is vented to the outside, but good point. If I did all the trouble to move the battery inside, I'd want Lithium's and a solar panel and an inverter anyway.
Yes it is and so is the second in rear (for V10/R50).

TonyB

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
67 Posts
They are unicorns, my particular model was discontinued after about a dozen or so built.. I'm glad I grabbed it when I did.. 20ft, 7k GVWR, Tandem Axle, Dual Queen Beds, can fit a full seater Quad in it.. I'm thinking about a VW Iltis w/a TDI swap to put in the back but right now I got a couple of dirt bikes.. its still a bit heavy on tongue because EVERYTHING, kitchen, batteries, cabinets are all in the front.. might actually get better with a big engine right over the back.. but thats why I went Lithium Ultimately, My 100AH LFP + 650W of Solar + Generator weigh same as Two GC2 FLA's and I can spread that weight around much easier.

IMG_20191019_183705.jpg

I shortened up a straight hitch and got it closer than even the OEM one, no WD or anti-sway.. but I do have Air, and it tows like a dream.

IMG_20190527_135304 (1).jpg

Hydrogen is the main concern about off gassing FLA's, and you need a perfect vessel to contain it, it also tends to go UP and the vents under the seat go DOWN.. our earth cant even hold onto it, unless you overcharge the crap out of the battery and boil half its fluids away its not much of an issue.. VW just put a smart charger on the battery to make it safe to put under the seat, instead of just letting it dumb soak off alternator forever like they used too... you'll want a mult-stage charging for a camper too or your gonna nuke batteries.. all the gassing and acid emissions from FLA is a result of overcharging.

·
Registered
2012 Touareg Sport with Nave package.
9 Posts
What is your single axle and tires rated at, would the quad max that out especially full water?

The Toy Haulers with the inside garages and dual or triple axles are really built to handle the weight of the bigger toys without huge variances on the tongue and the toy weight right over the axles. But those are way heavier than even my travel trailer. They aren't very comfortable on the inside until you get to the big ones. Everything is a compromise, do what makes you happy! And gets you and yours all the way there and back safely! Summer's coming!!!
Not sure what the axle weight limit is off the top of my head but I do remember the toy platform is rated at 900# max. I've never had it that heavy and I do not have a quad to put on it (yet) so my decision isn't made up as to what I plan to put on there. I have been leaning towards a 250cc size dual sport but that's down the road a bit. Right now all I put on there is my paramotor, two trunks with tools and all my (and my partners) camping gear. The camper is still new to me so I haven't gotten the loading down right just yet. I did talk to my dealer and he informed me that they are meant to be towed with water full in order to offset the tongue weight. I wasn't doing that before.

If I get another nice weekend I'll pull it out and do a full load then recheck the tongue weights again.

I specifically went with this style because my friend had the enclosed style toy hauler and it sucked! Constantly having to pull everything out just to sleep in it (it was only 28 feet) and is smelled of fuel.

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
67 Posts
Do you Boondock? I hate using water as ballast as I end up consuming it and then the trailer dynamics change.. If you end up relying on the water tank being full I'd be making a water filter system I could use to pump that thing back full out of a river or lake.. Here in Colorado they are very stingy with water and your lucky to even get any.

·
Registered
2012 Touareg Sport with Nave package.
9 Posts
Do you Boondock? I hate using water as ballast as I end up consuming it and then the trailer dynamics change.. If you end up relying on the water tank being full I'd be making a water filter system I could use to pump that thing back full out of a river or lake.. Here in Colorado they are very stingy with water and your lucky to even get any.
I haven't yet but plan to. Good point though, hadn't considered that. I guess I won't know what my options are until I can do a full load check on it again. Weather here in the midwest is a crap shoot so I need to wait until I have at least one good day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We boondock for 1 overnight in fields for race weekend at our Hare Scrambles and carry a generator. It's like an enduro race with all single track through the woods in the Ozarks of Missouri and way too close to trees (bark busters required). My water is also in front of the camper axles, so water weight also a consideration.

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
67 Posts
Back when I towed a little camp trailer w/my Golf the water would have to be moved around constantly to maintain proper balance.. As we ate food, drank water, bought souvenirs over the course of a few weeks I'd be shuffling the load around all the time or else it would not do 80mph the 2000m trip back home safely..

My big toy hauler does not have water tanks or a bathroom or any of that, I just carry good ole Jerry cans and strap em down over axles as not to rely on them as ballast... also try to make the toys as neutral as possible as a few of them with full tanks of fuel vs empty tanks of fuel, or leaving one behind or picking up an extra wont require moving any of my anchor points.. calculating weights on big trailers become a lot more of a hassle/expense, so trying to keep it as static as possible along your journeys is the best way to manage it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
They are unicorns, my particular model was discontinued after about a dozen or so built.. I'm glad I grabbed it when I did.. 20ft, 7k GVWR, Tandem Axle, Dual Queen Beds, can fit a full seater Quad in it.. I'm thinking about a VW Iltis w/a TDI swap to put in the back but right now I got a couple of dirt bikes.. its still a bit heavy on tongue because EVERYTHING, kitchen, batteries, cabinets are all in the front.. might actually get better with a big engine right over the back.. but thats why I went Lithium Ultimately, My 100AH LFP + 650W of Solar + Generator weigh same as Two GC2 FLA's and I can spread that weight around much easier.
<...>
I shortened up a straight hitch and got it closer than even the OEM one, no WD or anti-sway.. but I do have Air, and it tows like a dream.
<...>

Hydrogen is the main concern about off gassing FLA's, and you need a perfect vessel to contain it, it also tends to go UP and the vents under the seat go DOWN.. our earth cant even hold onto it, unless you overcharge the crap out of the battery and boil half its fluids away its not much of an issue.. VW just put a smart charger on the battery to make it safe to put under the seat, instead of just letting it dumb soak off alternator forever like they used too... you'll want a mult-stage charging for a camper too or your gonna nuke batteries.. all the gassing and acid emissions from FLA is a result of overcharging.
That setup looks awesome!! Nice score! I tried to Google it and couldn't find a twin axle picture. Love the roof rack and the gas jugs on top. We definitely need to be able to sleep in ours when we overnight in the random WalMart parking lot on longer trips during travel days. Mine isn't a toy hauler, so planning to put a hitch rack on the rear for the YZ65, have a Class3 hitch welded to both frame rails. Last camper I put the 65 in through the side door and mounted some D-rings, not sure if the wife will let me do that in the new camper. The small bikes are so easy to toss around. If I bring my WR250F also, I bring the pickup or no camper and the TReg with 5x9 trailer.

I was going to cut a ball mount shorter to try as well since the muffler is right there if I redrill the hole for the pin to shorten the gap. Thanks for the pics and experienced tips. I think I can get my tongue weight to where I need it to be, we'll see how much I squat I get and with water. I might need to do WD with lesser bars or more links in the chain pulling them less tight (~400lbs). I'm steel suspension, no auto-leveling.

We drive through cow fields to park for race weekends and was concerned about the WD bars if a speed bump can break a hitch. I haven't had trouble in my HD truck with the WD, but it's full frame and integrated hitch is quite different from the TReg setup.

I'd love to do Lithium and solar, but trying to pay off existing toys first. More often than not it's very hot and we need the generator for AC anyway, so I just use the inverter generator. She lets me keep that in the camper while towing though since it's propane and not gas smelly.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts