Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
1,420 Posts
My silentarmors are 30.5 I believe, I dont think the .1 inches between 31.5 and 31.6 is going to stop the rubbing, the 30.5's just barely make it and actually there are very faint signs that they have rubbed in my wheel well.

Linder

· Registered
64 Posts
So I bit the bullet and bought some new tires. With the original Conti's, I couldn't help feel ashamed every time I walked to the car. I chose the Pirelli ATR's simply because of the 19" availabilty and the aggressive tread. So far so good, but I've only had them a week. These are a 255/55R19, which are a bit odd and pricey at $940 + tax/mounting, but fill the space and look much better IMO. Just thought I'd share...

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Looks good.

Let us know how they work out for you in snow (and mud, sand, etc.). These are on my short list of potential replacements for the OEs.

· Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It is kind of a long story, but after running the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs for a couple of weeks, I ended up with a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. The Pirellis were fine. I thought they were very stiff, and handled very well. I never had them off road or in the snow. They were very quiet on the highway. My only complaint was that they looked much narrower than other 255/55-18s.

The Terra Grapplers are very nice. They handle good, but are not quite as stiff as the Pirellis. They are a bit noisier too, especially at lower speeds, but considering the tread pattern it is surprising they are not noisier than they are. They are great off-road. I went over Cinnamon Pass and Engineer Pass this weekend in a rain and hail storm, and they were impressive. A guy in a Jeep asked if I was ok. Like he had ever seen a Touareg off-raod.

· Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It is kind of a long story, but after running the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs for a couple of weeks, I ended up with a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. The Pirellis were fine. I thought they were very stiff, and handled very well. I never had them off road or in the snow. They were very quiet on the highway. My only complaint was that they looked much narrower than other 255/55-18s.

The Terra Grapplers are very nice. They handle good, but are not quite as stiff as the Pirellis. They are a bit noisier too, especially at lower speeds, but considering the tread pattern it is surprising they are not noisier than they are. They are great off-road. I went over Cinnamon Pass and Engineer Pass this weekend in a rain and hail storm, and they were impressive. A guy in a Jeep asked if I was ok. Like he had ever seen a Touareg off-raod.

· Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,484 Posts
you are right I8ABUG, the ATR's dont look as wide as some of the other brands in the same size. Weird how it works...I think more aggressive the pattern skinnier the appearance.

· Registered
64 Posts
I've now had the ATR's on for about a month and have put about 2K miles on them. Overall, I've been very impressed. They are quiet (as quiet as the Conti's) and do a good job on the highway. There's a slight bit more "felt" body roll, but I'm assuming that has to do with the increased sidewall height. We've had some torrential downpours and these have been great with no hydoplaning evident. No snow yet, but they've also done well over rocks and on soft dirt/sand. I'll give an update once the flakes start to fly...

· Registered
20 Posts
Ok so I'm in the market now for some tires, 2005 v6, 17 inch wheels, how did those Nitto Terra Grapplers hold up for you and would you get them for spring/summer/fall usage with some off roading? I plan on getting some winter type driving tires later in the year

· Registered
140 Posts
Ok so I'm in the market now for some tires, 2005 v6, 17 inch wheels, how did those Nitto Terra Grapplers hold up for you and would you get them for spring/summer/fall usage with some off roading? I plan on getting some winter type driving tires later in the year
I'm getting a pair of the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 04 VR6. I'm going with the 265/65/R17. Will keep you updated on performance.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.