1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 T3 TDI Lux
- 4 wheel alignment on top of the line Hofmann geoliner 670XD
- new set of Pirelli P Zero installed
- less than 10k km later (6k miles) both rears are worn down to wear bars, one worse than the other
- tire pressure bang on, also TPMS works fine
- rechecked alignment; all in spec
Very annoyed with this shoddy tire performance. No towing or use other than commuter and family car.

Let's see what Pirelli says!!

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
WOW! terrible! what size were these tires?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
265/50/19 110Y

They are the "regular" PZero, not the "Rosso" or "Nero":
https://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/car/sheet/pzero.html?url=?subtype=car&application=CAR

In decades of driving I can honestly say that I have never seen tire wear like that in a normally driven family vehicle. 10k km. Looks like a tire that did seven times that distance!

The fronts are fine; they show wear (and probably should not really) but nowhere near this.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the reply:

Thank you for reaching out to us with your comments. PZero is an Ultra High Performance “UHP” Summer tire. These tires have a soft rubber compound to increase performance. The trade off with a UHP tire is tread longevity. This softer compound that has enhanced your driving experience will inherently wear faster than a harder lower performance tire. For this reason the PZero does not come with a mileage warranty. If you believe these tires are defective, you may have your dealer send the tires in for inspection by Pirelli Tire Technicians. They will determine if the tires present a warrantable condition.

The Pirelli retailer that you purchased your tires from would be able to submit your tires for you.

Regards,

Melissa
Quality/Technical Rep

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[email protected]
Ummm..no kids driving my T'reg...no valets, no work colleagues or employees - just me. No drag racing, track days, heavy trailering or doughnut afternoons in the grocery store parking lot. Boring commutes and occasional long hauls. These tires have not seen more than 125 km/h. (80 mph).

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's crazy even for Pirelli. And I hate Pirelli's. With that said, the P-Zero's should last 15k at least. I'm at about 12k on mine on an S5, with some crazy wear from some track time, a few warranty replacements, etc. LOL. My wife is running Scorpions on her T3 and they're done at about 20k, which is terrible too. She had 50k out of her Michelins. Audi recently stopped delivering their Q7's with Scorpions because they were having so many issues and switched to Conti's, I think. The new wheels for the T3 will be in late this week and we'll be running Conti DWS on there.

Here's a pic of my P-Zero after about 75 miles on the track...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Expensive day out!

·
Registered
305 Posts
My wife is running Scorpions on her T3 and they're done at about 20k, which is terrible too.
Awful tires. Noisy after 15K due to feathering. Alignment was in spec. Worn out at less than 30K.

Replaced with Bridgestone Alenzas. Did not go with an 'N0' tire. Wearing very well and quiet thus far.

2 experiences with Pirelli and both bad.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had P Zero's one time on a 911 I used to have. Worst tread life I have ever seen. Less than 10k miles for sure. The Touareg is a really heavy vehicle. I believe that they just "wore out." Man.... 6000 miles is horrible, though. Even for P Zero's.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Scorpions have a UTQG treadwear rating of 600.
I've heard of people being pleased with the wear on their Atturo tyres that have a treadwear rating of 260.

What gives?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Scorpions have a UTQG treadwear rating of 600.
I've heard of people being pleased with the wear on their Atturo tyres that have a treadwear rating of 260.

What gives?
Not really sure. Part of my issue with the Scorpions is that they're noisy. Complaints of that on the new Q7's prompted Audi to pull the Scorpions and change over to Conti's. Not sure what model.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just an update about the scorpions, they're gone, Conti DWS installed. Totally silent. It's almost eerie. And I went to a lower profile too....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't like threads that present a problem, but no solution. So, here is the closeout:

- issue reported end of November 2015
- runaround given by Pirelli to the shop that installed the tires and also to me as the customer calling the Pirelli warranty hotline. If you need the info: 1-800-747-3554, option #2 and then #1.

- the shop made a real effort in getting this resolved; they documented everything and held the tires for inspection by a Pirelli tech.

- finally, 4 months later, their answer, to the word, is: "No mileage warranty on the PZero line for thread wear, irregular wear noted"

In other words: "We believe you screwed up your own tires because the wear is not totally even. We know that our product wears super fast, but we really don't give a hoot and you are on your own".

I am amazed at the almost complete lack of customer service for a $1700 set of brand name tires. I am equally amazed that, even with the documentation of perfect alignment and exact mileage documentation, Pirelli simply didn't care.

I stand by my opinion that a set of tires must last longer than an oil change interval, when the car sees nothing but city driving and highway commuting.

I guess it is obvious that this was my last set of Pirellis on any car that I own.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Even with just a 110 wear rating, 6k miles is a bit too short. With that being said, I would not expect something that soft to last more than maybe 10-12k miles on a 5000lb SUV. All else being equal grip and wear are opposed to each other. I am quite happy if I get 500 miles out of the rear tire on my track motorcycle (Pirelli Medium compund racing slick), but not winding up on my head is worth $300 per tire.

I am waiting for the Scorpions to wear out on my Treg so I can get a decent tire on there. Even if there is still usable tread, they are getting replaced with the DWS before next winter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Doesn't help but my dueler h/p sports (n0) right rear wore down to the marker while all others have some healthy tread left. Though I managed about 20k+ out of them. Nothing crazy but our south florida roads love to eat tires and a 70mile round trip work commute. I didn't get much luck out of bridgestone as well

1 - 20 of 23 Posts