Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only thing I've consistantly heard is that it's a great unit for everything besides nav. The nav is supposed to be 3rd rate. Compared to a few others.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the 920 installed in my 2010 V6 TDi. It works fine and I think the Nav is good though I was using a cheaper Garmin before so thats not much of a comparison.

I had it installed by a shop so can't help much with instructions. It took them 7 hours to do the work including rear back-up camera and some other minor stuff. Why so long, I have no idea. They said routing the wires from the rear camera to the front was the tough part.

AndrewT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the 920 installed in my 2010 V6 TDi. It works fine and I think the Nav is good though I was using a cheaper Garmin before so thats not much of a comparison.

I had it installed by a shop so can't help much with instructions. It took them 7 hours to do the work including rear back-up camera and some other minor stuff. Why so long, I have no idea. They said routing the wires from the rear camera to the front was the tough part.

AndrewT
Do u think it will work with 2008 Touareg..?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work with the '08. In terms of factory integration, they could get the steering wheel controls to work for volume but not for answering the phone - phone controls are done direct on the Avic unit. No big deal to me.

I know its a very tight fit. In fact, they were missing an antenna amplifier or something and I had to go back the next day when the part came in. They couldn't push the deck all the way in as they said once its in there its very difficult to get out - and they had to sand down the tabs I think for better fit. Its in there now and looks and works great. I can snap pics as needed.

AndrewT

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see why it wouldn't work with the '08. In terms of factory integration, they could get the steering wheel controls to work for volume but not for answering the phone - phone controls are done direct on the Avic unit. No big deal to me.

I know its a very tight fit. In fact, they were missing an antenna amplifier or something and I had to go back the next day when the part came in. They couldn't push the deck all the way in as they said once its in there its very difficult to get out - and they had to sand down the tabs I think for better fit. Its in there now and looks and works great. I can snap pics as needed.

AndrewT
Can i have a look at the pics... Thanks. Can u see my mid panel if it can fit too? :) I think it is small for mine. DO u think so?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are pics of mine installed. I don't think it looks too small for the mid-panel but thats personal preference I guess.

AndrewT
Awesome! our panels is exactly the same. How about the side part (border of the receiver)? Where do u get that? Is it provided?

·
Banned
7,167 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry - I don't know if the side part of the receiver came with the Avic unit or if it was provided by the shop that did the install.

To the other question, it fits perfect and aligns with the natural contour of the dash though I don't believe that part is curved but can look at it more closely later. There are no gaps or other fitment issues that would suggest any alignment issues.

AndrewT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts