Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those of you who’ve installed the B4s, do you have a different ride height vs OEM? I instead installed the B6s (which I love, and got for similar $ as I’m seeing reported for B4s), and it seemed to sit higher. My brother has a 2014 R-Line TD, so we compared and sure enough I sit almost 3/4” higher. OE springs, just upgraded shocks. And there was earlier concern expressed about seeing the bright yellow of the B6s. Don’t worry about it. You cannot see the yellow once installed unless you pull the wheel off.
4E29C07F-026B-4A7B-A6CE-0C4F00E59F48.jpeg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ride Hegith shouldn't change if reusing stock springs.
2 possibilities
1, your brother's shocks are worn and need replacement.
2, you didn't bolt all the fastener in "curb weight position". If you bolted fasteners while the car is in the air with suspension extended, the bushings will prevent the car sitting properly, and they may wear out fast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ride Hegith shouldn't change if reusing stock springs.
2 possibilities
1, your brother's shocks are worn and need replacement.
2, you didn't bolt all the fastener in "curb weight position". If you bolted fasteners while the car is in the air with suspension extended, the bushings will prevent the car sitting properly, and they may wear out fast.
Well, his Treg has approx 40k mi, so I don't think 1. is likely. I had them installed for me, so I can't speak to 2 with certainty, but I know the folks who did it don't have a lift, except for a hand operated one to lift one corner at a time. I've used them for numerous things over the years and keep doing so because they're very meticulous. I was inclined to think there may an option 3.

3. OE springs with 165k mi of use married to brand new, HD shocks might lead to the spring being stretched a bit more when 'at rest'. If anyone has pix of what bushings not properly seated may look like, I'll certainly look into.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
643 Posts
For those of you who’ve installed the B4s, do you have a different ride height vs OEM? I instead installed the B6s (which I love, and got for similar $ as I’m seeing reported for B4s), and it seemed to sit higher. My brother has a 2014 R-Line TD, so we compared and sure enough I sit almost 3/4” higher. OE springs, just upgraded shocks. And there was earlier concern expressed about seeing the bright yellow of the B6s. Don’t worry about it. You cannot see the yellow once installed unless you pull the wheel off.
View attachment 237574 View attachment 237574
Check out the video in the link below. Might explain it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seems reasonable; adds a few contributing factors I’d not considered. He didn’t speak to B4s, so I’ll re-ask : anyone who’s installed them also seen a change in ride height?

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
643 Posts
Seems reasonable; adds a few contributing factors I’d not considered. He didn’t speak to B4s, so I’ll re-ask : anyone who’s installed them also seen a change in ride height?
OK my bad. I thought your post said you installed the B6's.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I did. You were correct. I was just initially interested in whether those who installed the B4s were experiencing same.
I had intended to get before/after measurements to see if ride height was different but unfortunately did not. Visually it looks the same with the new B4 shocks and I took these ground to wheel opening measurements last night
Front - 32.5”
Rear - 33”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
I realized I have my old front shocks in garage so grabbed some critical measurements that could effect ride height after installing B4/B6 Bilsteins
Maybe someone can compare before installing new front shocks?
You transfer lower spring mount from original shocks and the distance to lower mount plate bumps is 6.5”

The distance bottom of shock to mount bolt is 8”

Total distance from mount bolts to lower spring plate bump stops is approximately 14.5”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
839 Posts
Does anybody know the difference between the Bilstein b4, b4 sport and the b6 sport?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can’t give any seat of the pants insight into your question, but did see this:

·
Registered
839 Posts
I found that. The b4 'sport' must be a special ecs thing that doesn't actually exist with Bilstein. Thank you for the link

·
Registered
839 Posts
According to Bilstein there is no b4 sport lol. That's why I think it must be a package ecs tuning put together and named the 'sport'

·
Registered
839 Posts
Somebody pointed this thread out in a different thread, so I'm going to update it.

I personally looked through the Bilstein catalog and did NOT see a Bilstein b4 Sport available for our Touareg

So I then called ECS and got into an in-depth conversation w/ them. They must have access to different parts or something because they pulled them all up and gave me this description

Bilstein b4 - supposed to be a bone-stock replacement shocks. I'm not saying it won't be a slight upgrade, its very possible Bilstein has revamped rates/etc on these since they've first come out

Bilstein b4 Sport - they do exist, and are made to be a slightly sporty upgrade to handling.

Bilstein b6 - they are a major upgrade to handling, but also ride stiffness. Some theorize that the b6 may raise ride-height just a touch. If you review other German cars w/ the b6 upgrade, they do. But with the Touareg weighing 5k lbs I speculate you will not get any additional lift unless your current shocks are blown out, this will restore them up to factory ride height

Bilstein b12 - a very sporty suspension kit that induces a drop

Bilstein does NOT release "% over" numbers. So for instance, they will not tell you how much sportier or % stiffer a b6 is over a b4, they will not tell you a b4 Sport over b4 etc.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You can find P/N's for both Sport and Standard suspension B4 shocks Product Search Results - BILSTEIN

I found all of these Bilstein P/N's available at RockAuto.com

It was a noticeable improvement to put the B4 Standard suspension shocks on our 11 VR6, personally I would not want it any different.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
643 Posts
I had the full set of standard B4's installed today. Initial drive results I'm happy with. Highway driving and the old boat floaty feel seems to be gone. On side roads where they filled in the craters and created berms the dampening of the struts/shocks feels better. It was definitely worth having them changed out @ 91K on the odometer. Next is getting the brakes all the way around done as they told/showed me I've got about 2/32's left on the pads.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Good input, thank you for the followup!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts