Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have read many similar posts about problems with the passenger side wiper not pressing hard enough against the windshield. I have new EOM blades, new linkage & lubricated springs (as others have suggested) but have found that the problem seems to be related to a slightly loose bolt on the passenger side of the linkage. It is the exposed nut and bolt on the left side of the picture of the wiper linkage (picture taken with hood raised). You can tighter the bolt (only 1/2 turn or so) and the wiper will work for a couple of swipes then the bolt loosens and the wiper does not press against the windshield again. Anyone with similar experience and better yet a solution?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no washer

Thanks for the quick reply. Just had a look. There is no washer but the bolt has a washer-like flange. This is a 2006 V8.
Taking the nut off did reveal more about what might be the problem. The threaded bolt has a flat spot and it looks like the metal linkage is supposed to have a matching flat spot but what I can see is more like gouged metal near the base of the flat spot (hope it shows up in the photo). Does that prompt and further ideas?
I will try a washer and see if it helps. The idea makes sense.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
Obviously your problem is that because of the partially destroyed slitting the linkage is not moving tightly with the driver bolt anymore, but there is now some play between the two, which causes the nut to loosen up (as that will stick to the linkage, while the bolt will turn in it, "unscrewing" the nut off itself).

You won't be able to fix this, unless you can somehow ensure that the driver bolt and the arm will move again tightly together, with no play. I'm not sure how you could achieve that though without replacing the arm with the linkage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Super great response. Thanks so much and thanks for the picture. The problem is clear now. I am hoping you had a spare linkage lying around and did not disassemble yours just to illustrate the problem.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Tightening the nut wiyhout the missing washer may have messed it up unfortunately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
noobytoogy
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing