Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm working on my BMW and need parts I can go to realoem.com, look up the part number from an exploded view then input that part number and it will tell me all the different BMW cars that take that part.
So if I need a fuel pump for my E24 I then know that I can use one from the much more common E34.

realoem has a VAG section but it's nowhere near as easy to use.

I found out from the exploded diagram that the Air Mass Sensor part number is 074 906 461 B , no part number for the insert which I know is Bosch FOOC2G2055.

So if I look for part number 074 906 461 B I get listings for Skodas, Caddies and Transporters. I don't know if the insert will be correct though.
If you put that part number into Pelican it shows results for 2.0 litre TDI Passat and V10 Touareg.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
If the part number is the same, it means the part is same for all intents and purposes, and will fit and work in any car that calls for that particular part. If the insert is not listed separately, that means that it's not supposed to be replaced separately, only together with the housing. If you can extract the existing insert and can find an OE part number on it, then you might possibly be able to acquire a replacement from said OE manufacturer directly or from a 3rd party, but VW will definitely not provide you with any separate insert in the absence of a VW part number for it. And just because an insert looks a lot like another insert doesn't mean that it will be a good replacement, because reading or even possibly signaling and wiring might be completely different.

As for exploded part diagrams, see: https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/v-2006-volkswagen-touareg--tdi--5-0l-v10-diesel , and click on the sub-categories, until you get to an exploded view.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the part number is the same, it means the part is same for all intents and purposes, and will fit and work in any car that calls for that particular part. If the insert is not listed separately, that means that it's not supposed to be replaced separately, only together with the housing. If you can extract the existing insert and can find an OE part number on it, then you might possibly be able to acquire a replacement from said OE manufacturer directly or from a 3rd party, but VW will definitely not provide you with any separate insert in the absence of a VW part number for it. And just because an insert looks a lot like another insert doesn't mean that it will be a good replacement, because reading or even possibly signaling and wiring might be completely different.

As for exploded part diagrams, see: https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/v-2006-volkswagen-touareg--tdi--5-0l-v10-diesel , and click on the sub-categories, until you get to an exploded view.
That's even worse; I put the correct part number in and it doesn't say that part is suitable for my car but it does list the V10 which I know is the same.

I know I can't get the sensor insert from VW, it doesn't have a VAG part number.
That part number I listed is OEM Bosch.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
Well, you have it all backwards. Go under the model listing as instructed (instead of entering the part number directly, which makes no sense anyway if you want to find a suitable part, not a particular part), and any parts you find under it - either in any listing or as part of an exploded diagram - will definitely fit the model you've selected. You can also have the search narrowed down to a model in the top search bar (at "Search All Vehicles" on the left), and enter then (ie. after you've picked a car/model) a part number - and again, if you get some results, then it will be a fit. On the particular part page you can also see in the Description field which models/cars it will be fit for. Not sure how many ways you need to verify a fitness of a part for a car, but 3 should be imo enough.

And if you know the insert is the same, then I have no clue why are you asking whether it will be a good fit? And if you don't know whether it will be a good fit, then you already have your answer. Ie. in the absence of the OE part number of the actual insert you just can't know for sure. Period. You either jump the gun and see whether it works properly, or you don't and buy the part with the housing. Not that there would be really a big price difference between similar inserts and the ones with the housing... at least not where I've been looking for.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did it in reverse because I couldn't find it in the parts groups.
Turns out that the air intake part was listed in the group with the picture of a crankshaft.

Doesn't matter anyway, I already said that I got the VAG part number for the AMF and the Bosch part number for the insert; if you had read the original post I said that a search for that part number showed fitments for OTHER cars but not mine.
I'm still not 100% sure that an AMF with the part number for a Passat has the correct sensor for my car.

If it were a BMW I'd know immediately what parts were interchangeable, that was the point.
Parts for the R5 aren't that common so I was looking at other ways of getting the right part.

And even drilling down on that exploded view you linked me to the correct way does not show my car as the correct fitment when I know that it is,

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
I did it in reverse because I couldn't find it in the parts groups.Turns out that the air intake part was listed in the group with the picture of a crankshaft.
... labeled "Engine". Which is the first logical pick in the absence of a separate "Intake" group.

Doesn't matter anyway, I already said that I got the VAG part number for the AMF and the Bosch part number for the insert
And you were told, that if that's indeed the case, then this renders your quest for confirmation pointless. Because
1. if you know the Bosch insert part number, then you can order that part from Bosch; and get the same part
2. you just won't find confirmation in any VW database for the Bosch part being a fit, because that part is not listed in ANY VW parts database, because it's not considered a distinct VW part, and because VW parts databases contain no Bosch part numbers anyway.

if you had read the original post
... then I couldn't have possibly answered your question correctly. But I obviously did.

I said that a search for that part number showed fitments for OTHER cars but not mine.
And you were told, that you won't be able get any more from a VW parts database, because in the VW parts database this particular insert is not listed as a separate part. I'm explaining that for the 3rd time in a row just in this post, and probably for the 10th time in this discussion.

I'm still not 100% sure that an AMF with the part number for a Passat has the correct sensor for my car.
And no VW parts database will tell you that you've the correct one, because the insert is not a separate part on this particular unit (and because VW parts databases list VW part numbers, not Bosch part numbers anyway). Telling that for the how many-th time in a row?

If it were a BMW I'd know immediately what parts were interchangeable, that was the point.
Only if it would have been listed as a separate part. That's the point. It has nothing to do with the part being for a BMW or for a VW. You can't confirm a match in a BMW database for a sub-part of a part either, unless the sub-part itself is also listed as a distinct part. But that's not the case here. VW doesn't consider that particular insert a separate part for that particular MAF assembly and for that particular engine. Period.

Parts for the R5 aren't that common so I was looking at other ways of getting the right part.
And yet, you didn't even mention you were looking for an R5 part - all you mentioned were BMW, Passat and V10 Touareg. Not that it would matter in this particular case, just saying how much you can't even ask a proper question, and then you go on rambling how others are not getting what you want.

And even drilling down on that exploded view you linked me to the correct way does not show my car as the correct fitment when I know that it is,
Again: if you know it's a fit, then why I are you asking whether it's a good fit? It makes no sense.

Anyway. As said, you won't get confirmation from any VW parts database for your "knowledge" of the part being a good fit, because VW doesn't consider that particular insert a separate part on R5 engines. Period. You only have to understand this single sentence to realize the futility of your quest.

On the positive side: if you've extracted the insert from your existing MAF and there's "Bosch FOOC2G2055" written on it, then you need no frikking confirmation from any VW parts database (or from anyone else for that matter) either, because you can be 100% sure, that if you order a "FOOC2G2055" from Bosch (or from any site selling parts under this particular OE number), then that insert will work in place of the original insert just as intended - because, well, it's the same part as the original. Regardless of it not being listed in any VW parts database.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? Don't you have anything better to do?

You have gotten so many things wrong in your reply.
You don't understand what I'm saying and trying to explain it you only confuses you more.
Don't try to help me anymore, your intellectual capacity isn't trustworthy proven by your inability to understand a clearly written sentence.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
You have gotten so many things wrong in your reply.
And yet, you couldn't mention a single one of those things I got wrong. All you told was how you didn't find what it was in front of you; and how you want to know something that you supposedly already know. That tells a lot, doesn't it?

You don't understand what I'm saying and trying to explain it you only confuses you more.
Well, I would say the case is the exact opposite here - but that wouldn't bring us much forward to anything, would it? So, I'm not even saying it. Instead I'm just leaving a link here for you, because it's just a perfect description of your situation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Don't try to help me anymore
Don't worry, I won't.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And yet, you couldn't mention a single one of those thing I got wrong. All you told was how you didn't find what it was in front of you. That tells a lot, doesn't it?
I am not now nor was I ever trying to find a Bosch part in a VAG parts list.

" I'm explaining that for the 3rd time in a row just in this post, and probably for the 10th time in this discussion. "

If you read what I wrote you'll see that I said that the part number for the MAF (NOT THE INSERT!) shows fitments for OTHER cars, not mine. I know it's the right part number because it's on my MAF. VAG part number, VAG part. The website you linked me to shows that that VAG part number MAF goes in a PASSAT! What's so hard there for you to understand?

"Anyway. As said, you won't get confirmation from any VW parts database for your "knowledge" of the part being a good fit, because VW doesn't consider that particular insert a separate part on R5 engines. Period. You only have to understand this single sentence to realize the futility of your quest. "
I have one sentence that I'd like for you to understand; I'm NOT looking for information about a Bosch part in a VAG parts list.

Well, I would say the case is the exact opposite here - but that wouldn't bring us much forward to anything, would it? So, I'm not even saying it.
Just more of you not understanding.
Don't worry, I won't.
Finally something you understood.

Gee, thanks for the absolutely brilliant suggestion to buy the Bosch part from Bosch, I hadn't thought of that
Care to suggest actually where? It's easy to make flippant suggestions if you don't know what you're talking about and won't listen.

In summary: If i were looking for a part for my BMW it would be easy.

Not so easy finding the right VW part. Would be a lot more straightforward in the UK.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For anyone who is interested, the reason I'm worried about buying the VAG MAF that has the right VAG part number but doesn't show my car as a listed fitment is because I have seen MAFs with that part number that have a different Bosch insert than mine,

It might work but I don't know and can you return a part that is listed for a Caddy if it doesn't run properly in a Touareg?

And https://www.boschautoparts.com/ doesn't even list an R5.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
I am not now nor was I ever trying to find a Bosch part in a VAG parts list.
Yes, you complained just about that. You said that in the VAG part list you found no part which would contain the Bosch FOOC2G2055 insert. Quote: "I found out from the exploded diagram that the Air Mass Sensor part number is 074 906 461 B , no part number for the insert which I know is Bosch FOOC2G2055."

So, despite you denying it now, you were looking in a VW parts database for a part with a Bosch part number / for a confirmation on a Bosch part number, which - as I stated - is pointless, because the VW parts database will not contain any Bosch part numbers. (If anything, the Bosch parts database might possibly refer to VW parts, as Bosch's products being equivalent or drop-in replacement to those, or whatever, or provide a lookup based on VW part numbers.)

If you read what I wrote you'll see that I said that the part number for the MAF (NOT THE INSERT!) shows fitments for OTHER cars, not mine.
Yeah, this is totally irrelevant, as long as you want a part for your car, not for other cars. So, again, not only is pointless to keep repeating this, but it was pointless to write it down already for the first time.

I know it's the right part number because it's on my MAF. VAG part number, VAG part.
Yeah, this is not what you wrote originally. What you actually wrote instead was that
1. you found out from the exploded diagram that the Air Mass Sensor part number is 074 906 461 B (you didn't write you read that part number on your part), and that
2. you know some Bosch insert number (again, without mentioning where you know that part number from), for which you found no part in the VW database
Quote: "I found out from the exploded diagram that the Air Mass Sensor part number is 074 906 461 B , no part number for the insert which I know is Bosch FOOC2G2055."

So, there we have it again. You didn't say what you say now, but something totally different. And then blamed me for answering the question you actually asked and for basing my answer on what you actually wrote instead of what you possibly wanted to write or wanted to know, just weren't unable to formulate correctly/that.

I have one sentence that I'd like for you to understand; I'm NOT looking for information about a Bosch part in a VAG parts list.
But you wrote exactly that. See above!

Gee, thanks for the absolutely brilliant suggestion to buy the Bosch part from Bosch, I hadn't thought of that
If you would have, you wouldn't have opened this topic in the first place, would you?

Care to suggest actually where?
Finally, a question that actually makes sense. Answer: https://www.boschaftermarket.com/xc/en/index . Not that I could possibly know where you are from and in turn where you could conveniently order your parts from. I know where to order Bosch parts from for myself - and it's pretty much any automotive shop I know of in my area. I walk into any of them, or call them, and tell them that I want Bosch part number XXX, and they will get it for me in a week or so. Provided the part is available, of course - but that's obviously a different topic, and a different question.

It's easy to make flippant suggestions if you don't know what you're talking about and won't listen.
And it's hard for anyone to answer a question you didn't actually ask - because you wrote and asked something totally different.

Not so easy finding the right VW part.
But you just wrote you know the VAG part number (and it's supposedly 074 906 461 B - because "it's on my MAF. VAG part number, VAG part"?). Now you don't? If you don't know whether "074 906 461 B" is the right part number, then why isn't your question: is "074 906 461 B" he right part number? Or if you know it's not the right part number, then why are you posting it in the first place? Or do you actually mean "not easy to find a place where you can purchase the part" instead of "finding the right VW part"? Because then, again, you're not actually asking for what you want - and I (or anyone else for that matter) can only go by what you write down, not by what you think.

Anyway. I will make it simple for you. Just follow these instructions, answer these questions:
1. Write down the model year and engine code of the Touareg you want a MAF sensor for
2. Tell me if and whether you have any part numbers on the MAF assembly you already have in your car.
3. Tell me if and whether you have any part number on the MAF insert you extracted from that assembly (if you did so)
4. Where you're living.
(which is what you should have done in the first post, ie. post all these information instead of what you did)
and then I (or somebody else) can possibly tell you
1. whether you can and/or where to get a replacement cartridge for your MAF assembly
2. where you can possibly get either an original VW OEM part or (if interested, again, tell me/us) equivalent 3rd party replacement for your MAF sensor.

Because that's the North American Bosch site, and there were no Touaregs sold in North America with R5 engines. (Not by VW anyway.) You need to go to a Bosch site from a region/country where there were actually R5 Touaregs sold to possibly find it in the car/parts list.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
Here's, the Australian Bosch site: https://ao.bosch-automotive.com/en/catalogue , which
1. allows you to pick an R5 Touareg
2. doesn't list a separate insert either, just a complete MAF assembly with housing
3. doesn't return anything on a search for "FOOC2G2055" (even if you picked no vehicle model/year)

I guess for a reason.

Btw lists the whole MAF assembly with part number "Bosch 0281002735" - at least for the model year and R5 engine variant I picked (which might or might not be the same as yours).

·
Registered
705 Posts
According to ETKA (VAG parts catalogue), that part number is compatible with the following:

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
Isn't 03G 906 461 C correct part number for R5?
Yes, that's (03G 906 461 C) the VW part number for the MAF sensor for a 2.5L Touareg R5 engine listed in ETKA.

The previously mentioned 074 906 461 B is only listed for V10 engines, and as superseded by 074 906 461 BX anyway.

The 3.6L and 3.0L V8, the 4.2L V8 and the 6.0L W12 engines are using completely different MAF sensors, not matching any of the above.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
So, I found part number within nick of time.
But you weren't obsessed by looking for a confirmation on a part number and/insert you were convinced was correct, but in fact was absolutely not, and were obviously not using a North American VW parts database either for looking up a part for a car that was never sold in that region. Unlike some other guy. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts