Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a website i can go to get OEM part numbers?
I'm used to using BMWfans.info for my BMW.

The parts I need right now are a turbo regulator solenoid, I found a Turbo Boost Solenoid Valve, probably the same thing?

And the driver's side air bag igniter switch.

2004 R5 RHD

·
Registered
2,751 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Run into my first problem.

The part i want is number 16 in the diagram but the parts list only goes to number 10.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Great, thanks Drag.
Which market do I select, there's no option for God's Chosen Country.

I wouldn't know about the recall. I was just told what the airbag fault was after a VAGCOM check.

Sounds like the recall
I will send the recall notice with the simple repair and no parts required if that is your problem

regards
Drag

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Run into my first problem.

The part i want is number 16 in the diagram but the parts list only goes to number 10.
That would be because VW do not sell it as a separate piece.

Why do you need one of those?
And changing one of those requires a bit of adjustment when replaced?

regards
Drag

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
A common fault, as Dragline mentions, was that the loom under the front seats, was made a fraction too short and, as the seat sags with age, or some fat lardarse squashes it, the wires disconnect just a fraction at the BIG yellow plug under the seat thereby rendering part of the air bag system inoperative and the airbag light pops on.

VW provided a short additional loom extension to fix the problem or you can just extend it yourself.

You will need VCDS to clear the fault and, whilst the light is on, remember one or more airbags won't operate . . .

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A common fault, as Dragline mentions, was that the loom under the front seats, was made a fraction too short and, as the seat sags with age, or some fat lardarse squashes it, the wires disconnect just a fraction at the BIG yellow plug under the seat thereby rendering part of the air bag system inoperative and the airbag light pops on.

VW provided a short additional loom extension to fix the problem or you can just extend it yourself.

You will need VCDS to clear the fault and, whilst the light is on, remember one or more airbags won't operate . . .
I'm a fat lardarse! That's probly what happened.
Had the same problem with a Mondeo, it's not at all uncommon.

Never had any problem with my Explorer but I suppose it was designed for fat arse Americans.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After doing a little research I'll check to make sure the turbo vane control actuator is operating.
I'll do that tomorrow when it's not so dark and scary.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a bit annoyed with Eurozone who did the VAGCOM check (2 hours = $240) to find the fault.
After some research it turns out the anybody who has anything to do with diesel VAG cars or any VNT type turbo knows what the problem is and how to fix it.

It's (most likely) sticky boost limiting vanes causing an overboost which causes limp condition.
Simple solution; clean the vanes using.......oven cleaner.
It's even been noted on this forum.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks like the vane actuator is operating, I just have to check I that its operating in the full range and that the vanes rant sticky.
If that's not it then I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've swapped the EGR solenoid and the Boost Control solenoid over, they're the same part apparently.
I read on a forum somewhere you could do that to troubleshoot the solenoid without buying a new part.

I can't test it yet, the car's unregistered but I'm going for a roadie tomorrow.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I swapped the the 2 solenoids over and after driving it in the manner that would usually trigger a limp condition it continued to drive correctly.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts