Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an 04 v8..... I noticed the pigtail from the main harness to the drivers side headlight was rigged with electrical tape. So I pulled the head lights out (they need buffed out anyway) I opened the headlights up, had common bare wire problem, however someone "taped" these wires also. So last night I depined and rewired one headlight harness (one wire at a time) I checked it last night, the really odd thing is, the drivers side parking light was on, as soon as I plugged the harness in. I know about the Euro parking light thing, this is separate from that. The light is on all the time and I get the parking light message on the info screen. I checked one headlight side at a time (with the same repaired harness) when hooked up to passenger side the parking light only comes on when you set the parking light with the signal stock. I tested the parking lights the front and rear on the respective sides work correctly. When they are off the front drivers side remains on no matter what. Any ideas where to start?

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my 2004 V10.

So far, things are pointing to a failure at the j519 but I'm still testing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone before me rigged up a relay to both headlights, and hooked it into the fuse panel.. I don't like that for the very fact, that was just bypassing the problem. Several relays could be heard clicking randomly under the dash when both lights were still in the car. I pulled that relay and rigged wiring, and haven't heard any clicking relays. I left off testing the headlight switch, never got answers... I have 3 kids so it's hard to slip out into the garage for any length of time...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found something odd, maybe you have tasted this. I removed the headlight switch and plugged the head light in, still getting power...

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Take. Look at the wiring diagram and you'll see why that is possible. Although I have not pulled the switch out, it continues to point to the j519.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I thought I'd update this thread regarding my parking light staying on issue.

The problem began one evening on my way home when my left turn signal suddenly stopped working. When I got home, I pulled out the headlight to change the turn signal bulb. I noticed the internal headlight wiring, especially that to the parking light, was bare or cracked.

I pulled the turn signal bulb and tested it but it was not blown. Very strange!

I then referenced the fuse box and discovered a 10A fuse for the left turn signal was blown. Also very strange.

I replaced the fuse and regained my left turn signal. It was then I noticed the parking light on the left side was still on. WTH???

I pulled the parking lamp and called it a night. I did more testing the following evenings and weekends as I had time.

Around the same time, I started getting a "Fault Running gear workshop" error. VAGCOM said I had a faulty sensor in my right rear air shock. Clearing the codes did nothing, they immediately returned. So now I had two problems. Ug!

For the shock, I popped off the connector from the shock and checked continuity between each end of the wires and the ride height control module below the CD changer in the back. All were fine. This lead me to believe that at 200K miles the sensor had failed. It's apparently not a sensor that can be replaced. The whole $1500 shock is required, and you really should replace both rears at the same time. Ouch!

Then I moved onto the parking light issue.

I went ahead and completely replaced all the internal headlight wiring in the left headlight. Amazingly the right headlight wiring appears completely fine and still pliable.

All testing I did was at the large plug the headlight unit plugs into. I compared left to right and with the headlight removed, key out, light switch turned off, there was constant power to the one pin that feeds the parking light on the left light but not the right.

I referred to the wiring diagram (thank you Bentley Online) and saw that other than one other connection, the headlight plug gets it's power through the J519 comfort and convenience module. This clarified to me the problem was in the J519.

I found a used module on Ebay for $60 and when it arrived, I used my VAGCOM to record all my current settings so I could reprogram the new J519.

I popped the old out and plugged the new one in, reprogrammed it and tested. Light was still on! ARRRRRGGG!!!!

That was it. Between the airshock sensor and this light I was at the end of my troubleshooting ability, so off to the dealership I went.

The rear shocks were replaced, and the the technician initially said I needed to change the headlight. I said no, please pop out the headlight and test the plug. He did and agreed the J519 was the problem instead.

I provided the Ebay J519 (Dealer offered to order one for $900) and the tech installed it. Somehow he was able to get it programmed and the parking light went out.

Lastly, while there, my CEL came on when the technician pulled it into the repair bay. The VW dealership factory scan tool said it could not communicate with either ECM so they could not check the CEL. The technician had a generic OBD tool and was able to read the slave ECM to see there was a glow plug error on cylinder 1, but he could not clear it.

At this point the original repairs were done so I offered to bring my VAGCOM over and clear the code. I'd seen the code other times in the past when it was especially cold out.

I was surprised the tech using the factory "VAGCOM" could not communicate with the ECM but it turns out that because the vehicle is so old (2004) the software used by the tool has been updated to the point that these older cars are less and less supported by it. Once I connected my VAGCOM, I was able to communicate with both ECM and clear the code.

So, lessons learned are:

Crumbling wiring in your headlight that blows a fuse leaving the parking on permanently, probably means you need a new J519

Talk your dealership into buying a VAGCOM so they can keep working on your old V10 :)

PS:
I now have all the pins and wiring to rebuild the insides of a Touareg headlight so if you need a new wiring harness in yours, let me know and maybe I can help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
PS:
I now have all the pins and wiring to rebuild the insides of a Touareg headlight so if you need a new wiring harness in yours, let me know and maybe I can help.
Can you please tell me what the connectors and pins are called that you have? I'm trying to replace my wiring harness and need to repin the connector to the ballast.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The whole $1500 shock is required, and you really should replace both rears at the same time. Ouch!

The rear shocks were replaced,
I didn't know the shocks have sensors inside them. I saw a connector on the shock.
I just bought two used rar shocks to play with. I was about a add two front shocks for backup but if there are sensors in there this might be a bit tricky.
I know about the level sensors but not the internal sensors.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have a similar issue with the third brake light.
It decided to stay on one night while my brother was using the Treg. He called a guy who hacked the taillight wiring and bypassed the oem stuff and made a mess of it all. later on I disconnected the third light and cleaned what he rigged but the light still stayed on. I suspect the brake switch. I ordered a new brake switch and will install it soon.
While there I repaired the trunk glass wiring which broke at the tailgate hinges. I had to use vcds to open it and confirm it was a wiring issue and not a glass switch issue.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I didn't know the shocks have sensors inside them. I saw a connector on the shock.
I just bought two used rar shocks to play with. I was about a add two front shocks for backup but if there are sensors in there this might be a bit tricky.
I know about the level sensors but not the internal sensors.
What he is calling a sensor is not a sensor. It is actually the CDC valve. It has an electrical connector.

Google and read the Touareg Air Suspension SSP and the Phaeton Air Suspension SSP for more information. You will need both. They explain the system in detail.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Got it. I guess if that thing goes bad you need the whole shock. Let's see how it is on the used set I'm getting this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Can you please tell me what the connectors and pins are called that you have? I'm trying to replace my wiring harness and need to repin the connector to the ballast.
I'm not sure what their name is, but for the larger plugs the individual male/female connections can be popped out of the plastic plug housing and a new end with it's wire inserted back in.

For the ballast plug, I think that plug does not allow the individual male/female connectors to be replaced (although I'm stating this from my fuzzy memory). You may need to find the entire plug and splice it in.

What is wrong with your plug that it needs to be replaced?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts