Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I tried searching but could not find someone with this exact issue (though my search skills may be lacking).

My driveway in on a slight incline. I notice that when I back, stop the car, put it in park and shut off the engine that the car will roll back slightly just as any other automatic transmission equipped vehicle that I have driven. The parking brake does not set automatically.

However, if I back in, pull forward then maybe back up a bit to straighten out my parking job, I notice that the car does not roll back at all when I put it in park and release the brake. Upon shutting off the engine the Parking brake light turns on.

Is this part of a hill hold feature or is it some sort of electrical gremlin? Also, on two occasions now if I try to restart the car right after shutting it off the engine cranks but will not turn over. Pushing the button stops the cranking and if I try it again it does start.

Both times this happened were on cold mornings when I had started the T-Reg just to move it out of the way to get my car out, then I backed it up into the driveway. (T-Reg is my wife's car)

I'm leaning towards this being a "hill hold" type feature since I have been able to duplicate this by following the steps above. However, just wanted to add this here in case someone wanted to confirm my thoughts and give me some peace of mind.

2016 T-Reg Sport with Tech Package ~13k miles on it since new.

Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi

See this thread for the problems I have with my parking break. Seems it is not only with the Australian cars.

Club Touareg Forums > Club Touareg Technical Forums > Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Car moves after park brake applied.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f44/car-moves-after-park-brake-applied-229842.html

Car moves unpredictably, has done since purchase and still does.
Let me know if this helps or you get any positive answer.
Stuart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I think my issue is different. I haven't noticed it rolling back AFTER the brake is applied but I will try it out this week and report back to see if mine is affected by this as well. My issue was that it was applying itself when I moved forward and then reverse again before shutting off the engine.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Do you have Auto Hold? If so, does having it on or off make any difference?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have Auto Hold? If so, does having it on or off make any difference?
not that I know of. I don't have a separate "Auto hold" button below the elec. parking brake button like some other VW models have. Unless the auto hold is a feature activated through the vehicle setting menu. I will say that coming from a manual vw with auto hold that it "feels" like it has auto hold.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Auto hold requires a separate switch. I have driven one with auto hold and found it quite useful. When you come to a stop you can release the brake pedal and you won't move until you press on the accelerator pedal. Without it, of course, you would start rolling when you release the brake pedal.

I think auto hold will also apply the parking brake automatically when you shift to park. That's why I asked if you had that option.

I would ask at the dealer the next time you're in for service.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Auto hold applies enough force on all brake to prevent movement. Touching any other pedal will release it. Also it times out after 4 or so seconds.

I think maybe it is a feature, like hill parking assist or something.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks, but I think my issue is different. I haven't noticed it rolling back AFTER the brake is applied but I will try it out this week and report back to see if mine is affected by this as well. My issue was that it was applying itself when I moved forward and then reverse again before shutting off the engine.
Sorry trbochrg, did not read your post correctly.
Seems I have to opposite problem to you.
Good luck.
Stuart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.