Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just got a very good condition Exec 2011 VR6 160k km.

My current parking situation has the car on a fairly steep incline.

Old car had a manual parking brake, however this car has an electronic one. I know LR3/LR4 are notorious for having the electronic parking brake go bad, especially when they are seldom used.

Guy I purchased from has a nice flat driveway so I can assume he never used the parking brake. Will the brake be in risk of failure if I begin regular use after it has been rarely used? Any preventative maintenance I can perform? I feel letting this heavy car sit on the gear locker isn’t a great idea long term...

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,235 Posts
By "electronic one" all this means is that instead of pulling a lever that actuates a cable the action is done by a button that actuates a motor to engage the parking brake shoes.
If the previous owner rarely if ever used them then they should be fairly new.
If you park on the slope I would put the vehicle in neutral, engage the "E-Brake", then put the vehicle in park. Then the weight of the vehicle isn't on the "gear Locker" but on the E-Brakes.
Want to test them before you use them? Just go on a small incline/decline and engage the E-Brake while in neutral, then take your foot off the brake pedal. See how it does.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The problem with these parking brakes, manual (Generation 1) or electric Gen 2 & 3), is that the drum onto which the brake shoes are applied (yes, it is a drum brake with good, old fashioned brake shoes!) rusts because there is no rotation around the shoes to rub the rust off.

As a result the parking brake loses efficiency.

On the Generation 1 Touaregs you could maintain parking brake efficiency by, once a month, partially applying the parking brake through judicious use of the parking brake pedal and then drive the car slowly for 100 yards or so to clean up the drums.

The parking brake is there for a reason - it should be applied when the car is parked.

No one should be relying upon a small steel peg in the gearbox to secure their vehicle against a runaway.

As above, park the car on your sloping drive using the parking brake whilst the gear lever is in Neutral to check the efficiency - or otherwise - of the brake before moving the lever to Park.

I suspect all will be well but if not then you will need to get the rear rotors removed so the integral drums for the parking brake can be wire brushed to clean them up and to remove any rust.

You might also need to fit new parking brake shoes as well.

Anyone working on the electronic parking brake needs to know what they are doing. It costs about 1,500 bucks if you screw up the electric motor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts