Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 V8 T2
Parking assist works great on the front sensors. But when in reverse, I immediately get 2 red lights and no sound or lights when backing and getting close to any object. Just solid lights.
Do I have a sensor out? How would I tell? Is the system just broken when backing?
Again, forward sensor report correctly, so I'm thinking, the system works as a general rule. But reverse, is another story.
There is no MFD error showing. Like when I have a bulb out.
Just 2 glaring lights!
Any suggestions on where to start?

·
Registered
210 Posts
2008 V8 T2
Parking assist works great on the front sensors. But when in reverse, I immediately get 2 red lights and no sound or lights when backing and getting close to any object. Just solid lights.
Do I have a sensor out? How would I tell? Is the system just broken when backing?
Again, forward sensor report correctly, so I'm thinking, the system works as a general rule. But reverse, is another story.
There is no MFD error showing. Like when I have a bulb out.
Just 2 glaring lights!
Any suggestions on where to start?
Somebody rear-ended me last week and since then the rear ones have been non functional. I'm thinking the connection for yours is either weak or, as you said, one of your sensors is out.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Most likely sensor is messed up. Removing back bumper is super easy and you can see if the sensor or wire harness is messed up. I can email you it tomorrow if you PM me your email address. To remove your bumper it will take about 20 mins total. I have a 2008 also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have someone put the car in reverse and put your ear to the sensors one at a time (also touching the sensor gently might work) and listen for the one that isn't clicking. If there's more than one you should also consider the wire loom connector.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Just a couple thoughts, I get solid red when I have one of my hitches on the back (not all, just a certain one), a small part of a leaf being stuck to a sensor has done this one time, washing the truck by hand with the sprayer on high does it every time for about three days (until it dries)... dirt (off roading). Snow buildup has too... If none of these sound like a culprit l, then sensor is out.
It will also randomly beep right when taking off (going forward in this case)..I finally decided bugs being attracted to headlights. Pretty sensitive.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have someone put the car in reverse and put your ear to the sensors one at a time (also touching the sensor gently might work) and listen for the one that isn't clicking. If there's more than one you should also consider the wire loom connector.
Make sure you don't ask your mother-in-law to sit in the driver's seat whilst you are doing this . . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to follow Columbus' suggestion of removing the bumper this weekend and take a look at the wiring and connector. I'll also listen for the clicking sounds from the sensors in case that's the culprit. I'll update what I found.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Email sent. Keep us posted, might help someone else out down the road. :)

Reactions: ProTom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. No update.
Of all the weekends for it to finally rain in Oregon, this was the weekend. I don't have enough room to put the Treg in the garage to remove the bumper yet. I promised a buddy to take him fishing on labor day, so this may have to wait until next weekend when it will be back into the 90's!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally had a chance to remove the bumper as I also installed a Curt tow hitch.
Found one of the sensors had the wiring pulled out of it and laying loose.
I will order a replacement and pull the bumper back off to replace.
Surprisingly enough, the bumper is very easy to remove. I would say after doing it once now, I could probably do it in about 15 minutes.
Warning though-- the dreaded possibility of cracking one of the taillights getting them out is true. No matter how careful I was, I cracked the right one. So now that is added to the replacement list also.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Warning though-- the dreaded possibility of cracking one of the taillights getting them out is true. No matter how careful I was, I cracked the right one. So now that is added to the replacement list also.

Thanks for all the help.
Slip some plastic strapping in behind the light from the outside edge and pull directly backwards on the two ends of the strap with one hand while pulling the black part with the other. I used a flat dog leash (for small dog).

Reactions: ProTom
1 - 11 of 11 Posts