Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally decided to paint the Brembo brake calipers red after seeing "leebo's" post on vortex.com. I ordered the red G2 paint kit from Vetthead.com for $39.99.

Basically you need to jack up the car, take off the wheels, clean the brakes, mask, paint 4 coats 15 min apart, dry for 24 hours, un-mask and put the wheels back on. Pretty easy mod I would say.

The kit is fairly complete but I would suggest buying another and larger brush than the one supplied in the kit. Also, the kits suggest two coats but I think more like 3 or four are needed to cover the calipers well. Don't worry about running out there is plenty of extra paint after 4 coats. They say you must paint between 55-70 degrees F but I did it in my hot garage, which was around 85 degrees F. I think it just made the paint dry and harden faster than normal but it worked fine. Make sure you wait the whole 24 hours because it takes a long time for the paint to become completely hard.

-Jake

Here are some pics during and after the process.

Attachments

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My brother and I spent more time masking than painting!

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The kit comes with spray on cleaner. It is simply a quickly evaporating alcohol that you spray on. You would be surprised, the brakes clean quite easily.

I am pretty sure all Touareg have Brembo Brake calipers. I am not sure about the rotors.

Just a little update too. I now have about 5,000 on the brakes since I painted them and they are holding up great. I spray them down with a hose once in a while the dirt washes off effortlessly. No cracks or scratches on the calipers.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure. It would be much more work than just painting them on the car. But then again you might have fun taking them all apart and figuring out how they are assembled.

· Registered
57 Posts
You did a good job. I was one of the first to do this and the paint looks like the day I put it on. And yes masking and careful painting are the key. I put the wheels back on right away using the lug bolt guide pin that comes with the tool kit so as not to touch anything painted.
[/img]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.