Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
It works!!! The Long Coding Helper didn't provide any information but it was Byte 2, Bit 5 in Module 16. Coding was accepted and I cleared out the fault code from the steering wheel mismatch before the coding change. Should I do a full write up in the DIY section?

·
Registered
31 Posts
No Harness, just a new steering wheel. I wanted to retain heating function on my Exec so I used part: 7P6419091 F. Here are the screen shots from coding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It works!!! The Long Coding Helper didn't provide any information but it was Byte 2, Bit 5 in Module 16. Coding was accepted and I cleared out the fault code from the steering wheel mismatch before the coding change. Should I do a full write up in the DIY section?
Hell YES!

·
Registered
447 Posts
You're my hero! Bow Down Please, please do a DIY including procedures and part numbers and, if you would, estimated parts pricing. Post a link to it here.

Congrats!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I AM new in this forum, writing from Lima Peru.

I have a V8 gasoline 2015 withou paddle shifters en and I have found in Sweden an original VW steering wheel, new, with paddle shifters that fits to my Touareg so I would like to change it.

Somebody know if is just only like “plug and play“ or an electronic procedure must be followed to configure it?

I would apreciate if somebody could give me some lights

Thanks in advance and best regards

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello, I AM new in this forum, writing from Lima Peru.

I have a V8 gasoline 2015 withou paddle shifters en and I have found in Sweden an original VW steering wheel, new, with paddle shifters that fits to my Touareg so I would like to change it.

Somebody know if is just only like “plug and play“ or an electronic procedure must be followed to configure it?

I would apreciate if somebody could give me some lights

Thanks in advance and best regards
@JAAS13 , you need steering wheel, new clock spring, some wiring and VCDS coding.
Not quite. A few posts back shows that's not the case. I know others who have done this mod as well.

On 7Ps you only need the steering wheel. It is "plug and play" with some coding changes via VCDS. I am actually doing this mod as we speak.

I am using part # 7P6 419 091 C
This is a non R-Line, non-heated tiptronic wheel. The most cost effective option. Found on eBay.de for a grand total of $210CAD (with some shrewd negotiation) shipped to my door.

Edit: just finished the job, went for a drive and confirmed everything works! (excuse my dusty screen, she needs a good interior detail come spring)
Thanks @TDInDC for posting up the DIY 👍🏼

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Paddle shifters on the Touareg are lame. It's a slow shifting transmission and it even slower in manual mode. Just set it the sport mode if you want to have a good time.

·
Registered
2016 TDI Lux
584 Posts
Aw man, don’t poo-poo on someone else’s idea of a good time. He just got ‘em, let him enjoy them at least, lol.

While I agree that they aren’t going to provide any quick shifts, there are many times when I use the manual shifting to control speed on long downhills . If I didn’t have to take my hand off the wheel while maneuvering a curvy mountain road to do it, it would be nice. Hard for me to justify the cost vs the benefit though as a heated wheel with paddles is a little pricey. (Begins a search immediately after this post)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Rofl

Reactions: Denker

·
Registered
24 Posts
Haha it’s nothing like how my DSG GTI was, but I still like it. I personally never liked sport mode. I don’t like how long it holds gears. Also with these diesels the powerband isn’t toward redline, so I like to short shift while still giving her the beans. I can also control engine braking how I want to now. I don’t find it terribly slow though, in M it will lock up the torque converter quicker and in turn shift faster. It’s miles better than that pathetic excuse of a slush box that was in my old Tiguan R-Line.

Two main reasons I wanted to do this mod: a) post-fix transmission coding is not-ideal (I absolutely hate how it holds 3rd gear) and I don’t like manual shifting with the shift lever because VW reverses the +/- directions from what is more ideal imo (pull down to up shift, push away to down shift). I got used to paddle shifters from my Tiguan and GTI and don’t want to give up that control.
b) just to flex

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use my paddles from time to time, especially when I seem to get stuck in that turbo lag while trying to roll onto the throttle. It’s nice to be a able to kick down a gear or two really quickly without using the clunky shift .. which is a minimum of two motions, by that time the transmission has probably already responded. So it’s handy at times.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Paddle shifters on the Touareg are lame. It's a slow shifting transmission and it even slower in manual mode. Just set it the sport mode if you want to have a good time.
What makes you think its slower in manual mode, your opinion or have you some facts?

I use mine all the time and find it generally better in both normal and sport, the best feature for me is downshifting as I don't like using the brakes if I can avoid it and it's more fun:)

TonyB

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
What makes you think its slower in manual mode, your opinion or have you some facts?

I use mine all the time and find it generally better in both normal and sport, the best feature for me is downshifting as I don't like using the brakes if I can avoid it and it's more fun:)

TonyB
I'm saying the manual shifts in the Touareg are just slow.. source is driving cars that shift wickedly fast in manual mode (any volkswagen, Porsche or Audi dual clutch...). Though I can tell you from track experience that leaving the car in Drive does indeed shift the fastest when drag racing by a few milliseconds. Roll racing sport mode is significantly faster

Regarding downshifting, you'd put wear on a $5000 transmission instead of $1800 in brakes?

·
Registered
2014 Touareg TDI Exec R
162 Posts
I don't like the paddle shift delay, especially between 1st and 2nd gear. The others are OK... but I almost never used the paddles.

it ain't no DSG...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts