Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago started up Touareg and had the CEL & EPC lit up in the MFI. Checked Ross-tech wiki for fault code explanations and found the following info;
P2294 - Fuel pressure regulator valve (N276) open circuit. Possible causes - wiring and/ or
Connections faulty. Fuel pressure regulator valve defective.
P129B - Fuel pressure regulator valve ; bank 2 open circuit.

With engine running I could hear a vacuum leak but couldn’t pinpoint it, so I smoked the engine and found the oil separator was leaking on the back side. Figuring that this had to be fixed for sure I ordered a new separator from ECS tuning and hoped that this would fix my problem. After waiting for a week the part shows up and the nipple was broken off the bottom. Re-order, another week, get the part, install. Vacuum leak fixed but CEL & EPC fault still there. Oil separator had torn diaphragm.

I then checked my wiring, connectors and fuses.
Wiring and connectors looked fine other than the protective covering encasing wires was disintegrating so I just wrapped them with electrical tape. I found a 10 amp fuse in the plenum chamber that was blown and description stated it was fuel delivery related so I replaced it and again hoped that was the problem, Nope.
The fuse would blow on start up, so I unplugged bank 2 HPFP, started engine fuse fine, plugged bank 2 HPFP back in with engine running fuse still fine. Since my wife has the same engine, I removed her Bank2 HPFP and put it on mine codes disappear and all is good. So now I’m on the hunt for a HPFP. Dealer wants $460, checked all my other VW parts sites and they range from $330 - $380. On a whim I decided to check EBay, found a used one $175 or new $199.99. As I was checking these out a part called a high pressure fuel pump converter shows up $75, it’s the part that the electrical plugs into, so I order it. After another week wait it arrived today, put it on problem fixed. Hope this info helps fellow V8 FSI owners in the future. FYI VW doesn’t sell this part, not even listed, you have to buy the whole pump. Mtnride app won’t let me load more than one picture at a time so pics to follow

Reactions: Built4Sin

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Reactions: darko 77

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks N8 you too. Did you ever dig into the oil cooler leak. Wife’s is still leaking, not terrible though. I just keep a eye on the oil level and clean up the mess at the 5000 mile oil change and luckily we have a dirt driveway

·
Registered
200 Posts
Haha......damn you, thx for reminding me! Haha! In all honesty, im constantly reminded with the lil mess it leaves behind. I did have a friend of mine (hes a certified mechanic) check it out...…..he used his nifty lil camera to scope out the area, he tends to believe it may be the oil pan itself that is leaking. I tend to agree with him, soely based on a thorough inspection about a week after cleaning the area. Its damn near 80-90% of the perimeter of the pan. Kinda good news, however still not an easy job. His suggestion was.....when we tackle the oil pan, might as well just tackle the cooler seal as well. by all means, ill keep you posted. So far, I have a very similar approach as yourself.....clean up the occasional mess, keep an eye on the oil level. without a lift, both jobs seem rather daunting.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have access to a lift but I don't think that helps in this case unless you drop the engine. I'm sure you've read all the threads on the subject as I have. Sounds like without doing engine out, it's remove motor mount nuts, lift till engine clears bolts and if you want some more room remove front of car. Still daunting!
I still believe it's your oil cooler leaking, the oil goes every where. You could check torque on the oil pan bolts though out of curiosity. Take care during this crazy time, Mike

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks TommiT, probably could have inserted some narrative along with pictures but they are pretty self explanatory except fuse box. The 10amp fuse that was being blown is the second one down from the top, off colored red.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you MTNRIDE for the detailed post!

Just had the same issue on my 2008 with the 4.2 FSI engine.

Ross-Tech VCDS error was:

2 Faults Found:

008852 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve (N276) - P2294 - 004 - Open Circuit

004763 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve; Bank 2 (N276) - P129B - 004 - Open Circuit

Replaced left and right high pressure fuel pumps located on the top of the engine and cleared the fault codes. Started the car and the same codes immediately returned.

Frustrated, I went back to the laptop and searched again for the fault codes and found this thread.

Pulled the cover located above the master cylinder reservoir and located the fuse panel and low and behold the 10 amp fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse, started the car and the EPC fault immediate turned off.

Went for a drive and everything was back to normal.

My guess is one of the pumps overloaded the circuit resulting in a blown fuse.
Although I imagine only one of the pumps was the culprit, considering these pumps are 12 years old it's probably best to replace them both.

The image has the blown fuse circled in yellow.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad it helped😁

1 - 15 of 15 Posts